Running and Weight Loss (Read 4289 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Trent (or anyone else), what's your take on the recent studies associating long-term low caloric intake with longer life? Confused

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent (or anyone else), what's your take on the recent studies associating long-term low caloric intake with longer life? Confused
      I've been reading that recent tests done on primates show amazing results in animals not only leaving longer but also much healthier lives. There have been some suggestions that a body on very low (2/3 of what we consider 'required') calorie diet 'cannibalizes' its own diseased cells. These findings have been reported in some respectable science magazines but of course there haven't been any conclusive studies done on humans. I for one would not be a good study subject - l like my food too much. Big grin Ewa
      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
      muse_runner

keep running.

Trent, I guess I'm confused... I'm just going to be blunt man: I am female-- have a higher body fat % than you, which means automatically that I should eat less than you do. Further, I am 5'5'' and 1/2 and you are taller at 5'9''. I run pretty darn close to the same amount of miles you run. Yet we eat identically. On the one hand you are telling people to eat enough, on the other than you are a MAN eating as much as me! I am trying to lose .5 pounds of LARD a week. Are you trying to lose weight? thoughts? no intentions of being rude just... puzzled I guess.
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Less than 800 calories and most of us will live longer and maintain weight, but it is very hard to maintain.
          I am female-- have a higher body fat % than you, which means automatically that I should eat less than you do. Further, I am 5'5'' and 1/2 and you are taller. I run pretty darn close to the same amount of miles you run. Yet we eat identically. On the one hand you are telling people to eat enough, on the other than you are a MAN eating as much as me! I am trying to lose .5 pounds of LARD a week. Are you trying to lose weight?
          Got it. My current weight fluctuates between 158 and 161. My diet maintains that weight. A year ago, I wanted to drop weight. Then I weighed 168 or so and I was targeting 155. I did this by dropping my cals to about 1200/day + those needed for running. While most estimates have me burn about 125 calories per mile run, based on my weight, I only refueled with 80-100 calories per mile. The combination of the low calories per day and the low calories per mile and I dropped that weight in about 2 months, actually getting as low as 153. My weight has crept back up about 5 pounds in the year since, in part due to substantially increased leg muscle mass and in part due to a loosening of my food intake. About a year ago, my body fat was 6%, measured by an experienced person using calipers. You, by weighing less, burn fewer calories per mile run and have a lower daily calorie requirement. If you are eating as much as I eat, you will actually be taking in more calories relative to your needs than I am (since I weigh more and therefore need more per day and burn more per mile). Also, you (likely Wink) have more estrogen than I do; estrogen is a potent maintainer of fat stores. You may find that during certain times of the month it is easier to drop weight than at others.
          muse_runner

keep running.

Trent losing that much weight in that short period of time will just target your muscle mass won't it? I mean, at your fitness level shouldn't you be aiming for a slow fat loss? I saw a registered sports dietician and she recommended that I eat 1800 cals a day to lose weight on about 38-55 miles a week. She actually gave me a food plan too. When I follow her advice I don't drop "pounds" but I can see the fat coming off my thighs and abdomen. It takes me for ever to lose and sometimes I see the scale is the same but it's not about that for me its about how I look-- if I am "cut" versus flabby. I'm all about slow loss. It's more fun to eat more anyhow!
            running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
              I have NEVER known a man before to drop their calories to 1200 to lose weight. WOW! Like you Muse for me it's all about how I look, not how much I weigh. I know I look a hell of alot better now at 126 then I did when I weighed 115 or even 120. Crap I looked better at 130 then I did at 115-120 (I was skinny fat). I think your dietician was right on the money with her diet plan! OH and I LOVE MY FOOD TOO!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You lose fat, carbs and muscle, but by continuing to workout I rebuild my muscle. That leads to a net fat/carb loss. Since carbs are so dynamic, it is not a big issue when you lose them (it is mostly glycogen, which you burn through and rebuild every day or so). 1800 kcal/day with 38-55 miles is not bad, but you could probably do 1500-1600 kcal and drop a touch of weight. Lessee, assuming an average 49 miles per week and an approximate burn rate for you of 100 kcal / mile, you burn about 700 kcal / day on average from running. That leaves another 1100 for the rest of your metabolism. What kind of work do you do, do you burn calories throughout the day? Also, sometimes the "flab" is not fat but is loose skin from where fat used to be. What is your fat %? Yeah, had I lost the weight more slowly, those 2-3 pounds may have stayed off. Big grin
                muse_runner

keep running.

Trent, I've been eating at maintenance this week 'cause of my 10k coming up. That puts me at 2,000 cals a day. Guess what dude? Breakthrough running beacuse of it. I just ran a tempo run faster than my 10k from last November. Guess what else? I wasn't even breathing hard. THAT is the difference between continual dieting and eating for health. Smile No idea what my body fat % is Omron says 16-18%. yes I do eat something like 1550-1600 cals a day when I'm *really* trying to be purposeful about losing weight, but what I can tell you honestly is that it makes my running HURT and SUCK. The longer I eat that low the worse I feel. Variations in diet (ie, periodizing diet) are good too! On the other hand, today was splendid. I'm all for awesome feel-good performance. I hope I PR this weekend~! Big grin Rocken Mam-- you are my hero!!!!!! bottoms up to breakthrough running for me!
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah. When you are getting ready for a race or ramping up your work, you DO need extra calories. Awesome job on your Tempo run, BTW. Kick some butt at your 10k!!
                      Hi guys thanks for your advice support and trying to help me learn about the things that are important. I dont intentionally eat low amounts of food or calories but I do have a small appetite and in an attempt to cut down to help me lose those few extra lbs, I appear to be inadvertanly missing out on valuable energy. I got a shock at how low my colories were although Monday was lower than most days. I have written down what I eat for years, part of doing WW, but have not converted to calories until the last few days. I was also shocked at just how many cals you need (following checking my BMR) as well as the extras you need for running. I obviously havent learnt much in the past few years, when I first joined a WW class unlike most people there I had to eat more (and more of the right things) to enable me to lose weight. I think its the thought of eating more to lose weight I had/have a problem with. I am no where near running as much as most of people on this site, I have only been doing this somewhat seriously for the last 3-4 weeks so at least I have picked up on this sooner rather than later. I think I also need to work on how I look rather than what the scales say. Thank you again.

Member Since 2008

Geordie Girl, Don't get hooked on the weight part of wieght loss (does that make sence?). If you must weigh yourself, have a set day and do it once a week and check your progress. With a decent workout schedule, you really do not want to loose more that a pound to two pounds a week. Weight loss should not be a fast process. The longer it takes, the healthier you are. Keep in mind, you are now working alot more muscles that you thought you even had, they are growig to grow, and that is a good thing.

Member Since 2008

I need a spell check!! Confused
                            Geordie - You've already gotten a lot of great advice here, I just wanted to say please don't get hung up on the numbers on the scale. I've no idea how close to your "goal" weight you are, but if you are just trying to get rid of the last 20 or so pounds it will be a slow process. If you are not currently taking measurements with a tape measure, please start. This is a great (and cheap) tool to use to gauge your success because it does not lie like the scale does. I started working out regularly last July and picked up running in October. Since last July I have only lost ~7 pounds scale weight, but my inches have decreased dramatically: 5 from the waist, 3 from the thighs, 4 from the hips. I have also reduced body fat % from ~29 to ~24. That's a lot of change for only 7 pounds. I also lift weights regularly and my theory is that a lot of the weight I have lost in fat has been replaced by muscle. The scale doesnt show those changes but the tape measure does. Keep up the great work and enjoy your running! Cool
                            ---- Cynthia

Imminent Catastrophe

Training certainly helps, primarily by increasing the amount of fat you burn as a proportion of your energy source while running at high exertion. This takes many miles and years.
                              You can see this if you use a heart rate monitor. Running at an "aerobic" heart rate (generally no higher than 75-80% of your maximal heart rate) will make the body more efficient at burning fat and your speed at that level of exertion will gradually increase with a lot of training. As an extreme example, Dean Karnazes (a well known ultramarathoner) recently stated in an interview that when he ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days that his heart rate averaged 118 bpm while running about a 9 minute/mile pace! That's how he can run 100 milers, by not using much muscle glycogen he doesn't bonk.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016