Treadmill Suggestions (Read 180 times)

R Simpson

Hello All,

Hoping to get some advice from the running community on a treadmill.  I have recently been looking to upgrade my OLD treadmill that was given to me for free years ago.  My wife has recently gotten into running, and I would like to have something nicer for her to run on as well.  I have been looking at treadmilldoctor reviews, and the price range for treadmills is all over the place.  I want to make sure I get something that is not a piece of junk, but I do not want to buy something that is overkill for my usage.

I typically run outside, but winter is coming.  I typically run 10 to 15 miles a week, and I only weigh 140 lbs.  Any suggestions on what to buy is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Feeling the growl again

IMHO you're taking a crapshoot with any <$2000 treadmill.  Anything <$1000 really isn't intended to hold up to regular use, and the mid-priced ones are better but still don't count on better than 50/50 odds that you will get years without repairs.

I've run ~1500-2000 miles a year (between me and my wife) on a home treatmill each year since 2007.  Given that level of use and that my average running speed on them is 8.6-9mph....with workouts up to 11.X, my experience:

Sole F63 - ~6 cracked decks replaced in 3 years, all under warranty but a pain.  Went progressively shorter, last one lasted only 3 weeks.  Lubed per regular schedule.  Also replaced Start button, speed sensor.  Main board finally blew and junked it.

NordicTrack Commercial 1500 - Only kept it 1.5 years before they gave me a refund.  Went through 5-6 consoles, cracked a deck, back roller finally went.  Could never keep it running more than 6 weeks.  Another use on here with one has broken the rear roller adjustment bolts several times.

I have a third one in the same price range ($1300) now, I can't even remember what it is because it broke the third time I used it (console not communicating with rest of machine) and I'm still waiting on parts over a month later.  Bought it in July, used 5-6 times only.

You may get lucky but honestly I'm not convinced any of the brands offer real, dependable quality in the cheaper price points.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'd look for another higher quality used treadmill on craigslist or some other local want ads.  I got a used Landice for a steal this way.  It was just sitting around being a clothes hanger for its former owners who had bought it to get fit but ended up not having enough time to use it.  I think it is just as good as some of the newer treadmills out there.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

R Simpson

I really appreciate the feedback guys.  I had seen some of your posts before Spaniel and had hoped you would comment.  Thanks for the info from both of you.

MrH

I bought a Landice 7. Not a single issue and good as new after more than two years of not high mileage but I do weigh 200.

I see no reason why it won't be serving us well in another ten+ years.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Jess runs for bacon

IMHO you're taking a crapshoot with any <$2000 treadmill.  Anything <$1000 really isn't intended to hold up to regular use, and the mid-priced ones are better but still don't count on better than 50/50 odds that you will get years without repairs.

I've run ~1500-2000 miles a year (between me and my wife) on a home treatmill each year since 2007.  Given that level of use and that my average running speed on them is 8.6-9mph....with workouts up to 11.X, my experience:

Sole F63 - ~6 cracked decks replaced in 3 years, all under warranty but a pain.  Went progressively shorter, last one lasted only 3 weeks.  Lubed per regular schedule.  Also replaced Start button, speed sensor.  Main board finally blew and junked it.

NordicTrack Commercial 1500 - Only kept it 1.5 years before they gave me a refund.  Went through 5-6 consoles, cracked a deck, back roller finally went.  Could never keep it running more than 6 weeks.  Another use on here with one has broken the rear roller adjustment bolts several times.

I have a third one in the same price range ($1300) now, I can't even remember what it is because it broke the third time I used it (console not communicating with rest of machine) and I'm still waiting on parts over a month later.  Bought it in July, used 5-6 times only.

You may get lucky but honestly I'm not convinced any of the brands offer real, dependable quality in the cheaper price points.

That's odd, I have a norditrack 1750 and am super happy with it. They did some site upgrades last year which killed the ifit for a few months, but it's working again. The maps feature really makes that machine.

That's odd, I have a norditrack 1750 and am super happy with it. They did some site upgrades last year which killed the ifit for a few months, but it's working again. The maps feature really makes that machine.

I just got one of these as well.  It has great reviews.  Love it so far.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Feeling the growl again

I just got one of these as well.  It has great reviews.  Love it so far.

I'd take most of those treadmill reviews with a grain of salt, as they are most often written by people who have put very few miles on the machine at the time of the review.  The 1750 was very pleasant to run on when it worked but I simply could not keep it functional for any period of time.  Perhaps those who run less on it or slower will have better experiences.  Smile

FWIW my now third machine whose brand I forgot is a Lifespan.  They get an F for customer service, where I would give Sole a B and NordicTrack/ICON an A-.  They sent me the wrong console, with different connectors, and it took 2 hours of arguing and emailing photos of the old and new consoles -- complete with disassembling them to demonstrate entirely different circuit board designs -- before they sent me the right one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

zonykel

I've had a Precor 9.23 for about a year. I have not used it heavily, but it's a decent TM for under $2K. I'm going to guess that the 9.3x series are better, but you'll be paying a premium price for them ($4K-$5K depending on the model).

Wing

Joggaholic

I have a Livestrong LSPro1, they no longer sell that anymore. I got it for ~$1k new, have had it for about a year and put 1100 miles on it. The thing has been great and hasn't had any problems yet. I run slow (I usually set it to 6 to 6.5 mph) and weight very little (~120) so that may explain my luck. I think they are trying to ditch the Livestrong brand but the company that made it is Johnson, so I would look into other brands by the same manufacturer. The one thing I liked most about mine is that it is super sturdy, many other TM in similar or lower price range feel flimsy, and shakes when run or leaned on. I feel safe enough to do dips using the handle bars on mine.

+1

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

TripleBock

I think it depends on the punishment you are giving it - At 10-15 MPW and 140 pounds ... many units will work for you.  At 200+ and pounding the shit out of 2 different Sole models (They gave me a free upgrade that made it a year before it broke) I would go with Landice if I had to do it again.  But I was running 150 mile weeks and 6+ hours for some runs.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Feeling the growl again

I think it depends on the punishment you are giving it - At 10-15 MPW and 140 pounds ... many units will work for you.  At 200+ and pounding the shit out of 2 different Sole models (They gave me a free upgrade that made it a year before it broke) I would go with Landice if I had to do it again.  But I was running 150 mile weeks and 6+ hours for some runs.

I would agree.  And I would look at what "torture testers" are experiencing as an indicator of what a light user may experience in a delayed fashion.

I am not a fan of extended warranties....except for treadmills.  The motor in the NordicTrack is a $500 part if not under warranty.  I have three of them sitting in my house, which I paid nothing for.  If someone like me or TripleBock experience issues in a year or less, a lighter use may well experience similar things 3-4 years out...after much of your warranty has expired.