Racing flats for a half marathon (Read 684 times)

kcam

Well racing flats rock! Or it may just be that the old saying “What the mind believes the body achieves” is true. Either way I knocked off 3 minutes and 21 seconds from my old PR and came in 14th overall. Thanks to you all for your input. All my finishing time was 1:27.08 Smile
    Right on. I am a strong believer in flats for distances even up to marathon (my only experience) as long as your form is 'good'. I used to run marathons in lightweight training shoes but switched to flats and never looked back. I've used Magics, DS-Racers, Adidas Adizeros - all worked fine FOR ME at marathon distance. Note that I am not a lightweight runner by any means. I've ranged from 167lbs up to 175lbs for various marathons (5'8"). I train in lightweight trainers only because they last a little longer than flats and, when I put on the flats for a race, I want to feel 'fast' in the flats. My latest pair are Brooks T5. I'll be running a 1/2 and two full marathons in those this fall. The T5 feel really good but might be a little narrow in the forefoot. I've got two 5Ks and some training in them so far so good. And nice job on knocking off over 3 minutes from your 1/2 PR! I hope to follow in your footsteps.

Right on Hereford...

Well racing flats rock! Or it may just be that the old saying “What the mind believes the body achieves” is true. Either way I knocked off 3 minutes and 21 seconds from my old PR and came in 14th overall. Thanks to you all for your input. All my finishing time was 1:27.08 Smile
      Awesome...great job! You should be proud of that time, and for lowering your PR by over 3 minutes! What model of flats did you end up wearing?
      Pi markets them as flats but they really are lightweight traininers...and a good long distance racing shoe.
      True, Daddyo