Google Voice? (Read 619 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sorry for the X-post from FB, but I'm interested in getting a variety of input...

Can someone explain Google Voice to me? F'rinstance, we have a cell phone that uses the ported # that was previously our home land line. Checking VM on it is kind of a pain and I have been known to miss important calls if I don't check it frequently. We still get a lot of calls that that are Do Not Call Regristry no-nos, so I've come to ignore it when it rings...and a few times it's been legitimate calls from DS's school (I really need to set up a ringtone just for those #s, I suppose).  Am I likely to find Google Voice useful?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sorry for the X-post from FB, but I'm interested in getting a variety of input...

Can someone explain Google Voice to me? F'rinstance, we have a cell phone that uses the ported # that was previously our home land line. Checking VM on it is kind of a pain and I have been known to miss important calls if I don't check it frequently. We still get a lot of calls that that are Do Not Call Regristry no-nos, so I've come to ignore it when it rings...and a few times it's been legitimate calls from DS's school (I really need to set up a ringtone just for those #s, I suppose).  Am I likely to find Google Voice useful?

LOVE google voice! Love that the number can ring pretty much every number you have (Ken has like 4 ) Wish he wasn't busy cause I'm sure he could explain it all to you very easily. I'm not good at that. 

You can set it up when it up so that certain calls ring house and cell. Certain calls to just ring cell, etc etc. Oh and dd uses it so that she can instant message on her itouch which we can monitor if we feel the need to. She uses the message thing more to let us know if she's going to be late etc.

MTA: I don't have a google voice number but dh and dd do. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I use Google Voice.

But, I use Google Voice for free / cheap international calls.

For US calls, I don't use Google Voice.

But, when my Canadian family calls me, it's kind of nice to get the voice mails in text message (voice to text conversion), allowing me to have a good record of the call (without me needing to actually listen to the voicemail).  I bet that might be helpful for you to prevent yourself from receiving messages that get ignored.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But, when my Canadian family calls me, it's kind of nice to get the voice mails in text message (voice to text conversion), allowing me to have a good record of the call (without me needing to actually listen to the voicemail).  I bet that might be helpful for you to prevent yourself from receiving messages that get ignored.

Brian

Yes, this is exactly what I'm thinking.  And the ability to see it from my primary cell, too, I'd assume.  It looks like I can have anyone already in my Google contacts set to ring whatever phone I wish, then have the junk calls go direct to VM, correct?

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I like the message to text feature. Often handy, often amusing. I haven't yet taken the plunge to make it my primary number, but it sounds like it would be helpful to you.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like the message to text feature. Often handy, often amusing. I haven't yet taken the plunge to make it my primary number, but it sounds like it would be helpful to you.

It looks like now a person can use an existing #...I know when it first came out you had to get a new # from Google, which is why I wrote it off back then.

~ Sarah Kay

often amusing.

from my sister in law recently... (text message I received thanks to Google Voice)...

"Hey Babe, It's Michelle, which I think it's called. We should be interesting, give us a call back. Bye."

supposed to be (based on audio review)...

"Hey Brian, it's Michelle, I saw that you called.  We should be in for the rest of the night.  Give us a call back.  Bye."

I knew the call and the message was from my brother and sister in laws home number.  For a couple minutes, I was wondering what was going on in their house and who she was trying to call.  Until I listened to the voicemail.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Funny...like playing telephone!

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

or like playing Siri

Why is it sideways?

We use it for cheap international calls from cell phones. Good service.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

or like playing Siri

Playing with Siri has been a great source of hilarity in our house.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We use it for cheap international calls from cell phones. Good service.

That is really cool. Ooh, there is at least one Scottish RAer that I would love to talk to.

~ Sarah Kay

Hawt and sexy

I use Google voice to find my cell in the house when I lose it. Don't laugh too hard, it works.

I'm touching your pants.

BeeRunB

I use Google voice to find my cell in the house when I lose it. Don't laugh too hard, it works.

Ingenious! (Hey Will!)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's it, I'm sold! Just wish it could find my keys...

~ Sarah Kay