Long advice please. (Read 820 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have got it in my head that I am going to do my longest run to date tomorrow morning, I am trying for 22 miles, previously 17. What advice would you longer guys give? What sort of food should I eat today and how much? Would eating a lot today not mean that I will need the loo loads tomorrow during the run? Any general advice to make it as pleasurable as possible. Many thanks.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

va

I have got it in my head that I am going to do my longest run to date tomorrow morning, I am trying for 22 miles, previously 17. What advice would you longer guys give? What sort of food should I eat today and how much? Would eating a lot today not mean that I will need the loo loads tomorrow during the run? Any general advice to make it as pleasurable as possible. Many thanks.
      Hi Eddy, I'm not a "longer" guy (yet) but am curious what your training for. Your log shows your longest recent run was 16 miles, 3 weeks ago. The advice I've heard says you should build the length of your long run slowly from one week to the next, with a recovery week every 3 or 4 weeks. Are you following some kind of training plan?

Slow-smooth-fast

no really, i am just a little up and down at the moment. I am getting faster, but the long runs help me with my weight, my passion is for the 10k, but I love the long runs to keep me trim, and endurance. Perhaps a little too ambitious? But I do believe for a fact I will be able to do it no problem/ Just a matter of going that bit slower.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Not a good plan, Eddy! That's a big leap from 17 even if you have a good base. You may or may not do it just fine, but certainly with a heightened chance for injury that could put you out of the game for quite a while.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

va

I am sure you can do the distance, but you may want to consider taking a crack at 18-19 miles first.

Slow-smooth-fast

I will have a go at 18 then, thats a nice round number.lol I will post my findings tommorrow.

still alive

The most important thing for a long run is GO SLOW!!!

Greg in ND

One day at a time.