Pain on the top of foot, extensor tendonitis? (Read 52 times)

highschoolrunner

Hello,

I am currently in high school, with my last xc race to come at nike regionals, I am very happy to see one full week off from running. I've been experiencing a pain in the top of my foot which, based on the articles I have read, they correlate this to extensor tendonitis, the nerve that runs down the foot and pulls the toes. Many articles have said it could be a result of tight calves, I've been doing plenty of stretching, they are slightly sore but I have 4 more days left in the season until I can take that relaxing one week off. Two, after switching to a forefoot style striking, bout a month or so back, might be the reason for the created tension in my calves but as I try to come back towards a midfoot strike, the pain still remains. Not to mention, I got put in orthotics a while back, like 8 or 9 months ago, long story short, they have only messed up my legs more. I experienced shin splints, knee problems, and it simply was a pounding on my feet because they were custom orthotics. I am now running in the Nike Structure 18 which the local running store I go to suggested for the support on my arch that was on the verge of collapsing last year in the winter from my feet being as flat as they were. I have no clue what to do, I even take warm Epson salt baths because I heard the positive effects it has for people who dance who constantly have their foot flexing in some type of odd position. Do you think it is a result of my plantar fascitis? Should I get a night splint and see how that does because I've worn my orthotics for a while now and have saw no results there... Any suggestions to my problem because I want the winter track season to be an enjoyable one despite the cold weather... thanks!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hello highschoolrunner. Sounds like you've done some research and worked on this a fair amount. I can offer one simple suggestion. The only time I have experienced pain on the top of my feet, it was caused by tying my shoes too tight. If yours are at all tight, try running with them a good deal looser for a few days.

Joann Y

Hello highschoolrunner. Sounds like you've done some research and worked on this a fair amount. I can offer one simple suggestion. The only time I have experienced pain on the top of my feet, it was caused by tying my shoes too tight. If yours are at all tight, try running with them a good deal looser for a few days.

same.

Ditto. Skipping the middle laces of my shoes has made a huge difference - this has basically eliminated any flare ups for me. Here's a link to a photo to give you an idea of what I mean: http://www.podiatrytoday.com/files/imagecache/normal/PT0913Online13.png