"Weak Ankles"? (Read 256 times)

InkOnTheSoul

I'm sure there are probably tons of other topics similar to this one, but in truth I think I'm too lazy to sift through everything just to find the exact right one for my injury or problem. But in my defense, if one did match my exact case, it would probably be about 300 pages back. Think of me what you will. Anyhow, I recently started running again after a few years off. I like the thought of staying active in college. I did XC freshman year in high school, and having just graduated, I started running again in May. I had worked up to an 8 mile long run and 5 mile medians when I injured my ankle. I did go to my doctor, but aside from the usual "don't run on it if it hurts" and "use a brace and see if it gets better", she didn't really have a ton of solid advice.

It has been two weeks since I started running again after 3 weeks off. I'm taking it very slowly, doing only 2 or 3 miles a day now, and my ankle doesn't hurt as I run. It does, however, still swell... and not only when I run, but throughout the day. It gets a bit hot, but only twinges on occasion, usually just after I get back from my runs. So, overall, I would be more concerned if I had more pain.

I wonder if I should be more concerned about this injury. Maybe it has healed well and I should stop fussing. But perhaps it is still healing or has healed incorrectly. Anyone have any similar injuries? Also, any recommendations for maintaining its integrity? I wasn't sure if I should be taking any supplements or anything for my joints...

Really, anything at all is helpful. I appreciate all input. (PS Sorry for the length of this!)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Ankle sprains are a slow healing thing. Are you icing it after runs? That might help.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Half Fanatic #846

I did go to my doctor, but aside from the usual "don't run on it if it hurts" and "use a brace and see if it gets better", she didn't really have a ton of solid advice.

Well, that sounds pretty solid to me (and icing)! Running really puts a pounding on your feet. Maybe it would help to know what kind of injury you sustained (sprain, tear, strain, unknown). I've had lots of severe ankle sprains and a broken ankle - generally, what has worked best for me was R.I.C.E. - rest, ice, compression, elevation. Good luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I read somewhere that a football team was having a lot of ankle injuries so they added a simple exercise. Had athletes stand still, balancing on one foot, then the other, with time increasing a little each day until they could easily stand balanced on one foot for up to 10 minutes at a time. They saw the rate of ankle injuries plummet. Try it.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Fruchtenstein

I used to do strengthening excercises when I sprained ankles often — walking on heels, on toes, on the inner and the outer sides of the foot. Running on trails also helps, but it brings it's risks, too.

InkOnTheSoul

Thanks everyone! I have been icing; that's probably the reason my ankle isn't worse, honestly. cheeseburger- thank you for the exercise! I'll definitely be trying that. We haven't got too many trails where I live, but I'll most likely be running more on the track when I get to college, so there's that. That ought to help a bit.

For now I guess I'll be doing quite a bit of cross-training for a while here! Thanks again!

running metalhead

I read somewhere that a football team was having a lot of ankle injuries so they added a simple exercise. Had athletes stand still, balancing on one foot, then the other, with time increasing a little each day until they could easily stand balanced on one foot for up to 10 minutes at a time. They saw the rate of ankle injuries plummet. Try it.

Good one!

Here's another very simple but effective: Foot "Alphabet", it can be done sitting on a sofa, standing, sitting on a bench, whatever fits best.

It consists on "pointing" with your big toe as if it were a holding a pen and contract the rest of the toes (like a fist with your hand).

Then using your big toe as a pointer "write" the letters of the alphabet in the air, swap foot an repeat. It is not necessary that you write them perfectly, the aim is to move the foot at the ankle in several directions and do a few reps.

Repeat with the opposite foot, of course Wink

This excercise is also very good as a dynamic warm up and it strengthens your feet for better forefoot strike.

Doing this one and the one you proposed every day, as warmup and cooldown before and after running really adds an edge...

BTW, after doing a lot of ankle exercises I noticed that my balance was better and I rarely step into stuff at night (!)  No joking.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Calf raises with weights

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Mostly harmless

+1 to this.  Balance work is good for all runners (everyone really).  Jay Dicharry covers this is great detail in his book Anatomy for Runners. I have added a few of the exercises he recommends in the book to my routine and I'm currently (knock on wood) running the best I ever have.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Of course, substitute 20 minutes of contact football, with 20 minutes of standing around and injury rates are sure to drop, especially during that 20 minute window :-)

I used to do strengthening excercises when I sprained ankles often — walking on heels, on toes, on the inner and the outer sides of the foot. Running on trails also helps, but it brings it's risks, too.

Trail running has helped me a bunch with ankle strength... But if you decide to do this 1) wait til your current injury fully heals 2) take it easy at first.

InkOnTheSoul

Hi everyone! So I finally, finally got a permanent diagnosis. At first my doctor thought that the X rays looked like a stress fracture in my fibula, but after receiving an MRI it turns out I also have a strained tendon and a benign tumor! Go figure... Anyways, thanks for everything! You've all been MORE than helpful and I'm so grateful for finding this site. You guys rock!