Head Gear Help (Read 82 times)

I sweat a lot when I run.  I also have a shaved head, so I need good coverage so I don't burn.  Currently I have a couple Adidas hats which I like, but I grabbed a couple years back and I can't seem to find the same ones anywhere (probably discontinued).  I also have the problem of having a large head, so it's tough to find hats that fit.  Anyone have a suggestion of a good place to find running hats (online or brick and mortar)?  I've tried bandanas, but they don't soak up the sweat enough.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

I too have a shaved head. Is the sun really a big deal? How many hours a day do you spending running in the sun?

I only wear a hat when it's very cold. If it's very sunny and I'm planning a long run I might use a bit of sun cream. But most of the time I don't bother.

I suppose it depends a bit on wear you live. Probably more of an issue in the middle of the Sahara that it is here in sunny England Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am not bald or of the shaved head variety, but I am very blonde and have had too many sunburned scalps after even just a short time outside.  I also am married to a melanoma survivor, so UV protection is kind of a big deal.  And putting sunblock anywhere above my eye level guarantees that it will get in my eyes...that shit burns and there is no such thing as "sweat-proof."  My pores laugh at these sport sunblocks' claims.

I wear a Buff for runs and as a helmet liner on the bike.  I have the UV protecting ones and really love them.  They wick sweat well.  I also have one wool one that I can double-up and wear as a hat or as a balaclava when it's cold.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I too have a shaved head. Is the sun really a big deal? How many hours a day do you spending running in the sun?

I only wear a hat when it's very cold. If it's very sunny and I'm planning a long run I might use a bit of sun cream. But most of the time I don't bother.

I suppose it depends a bit on wear you live. Probably more of an issue in the middle of the Sahara that it is here in sunny England Smile

Yeah I burn pretty quickly.  If I'm out for an hour+ run or walk I'll be toast.  Like I said, I'm using the hat for sun protection and sweat absorption.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

I have the Halo I Sweatband and it works well. I agree on hats, it is difficult when one size fits most, but Headsweats are okay.

I second the recommendation for a Buff.  I've got two of them, and they are basically all I wear now--heat, cold, sun, wind, whatever.  I've worn them as cold as 6F, hot as 84F.  I have hair now, but when I was shaving my head they were fantastic, too.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

dennrunner

I am not bald or of the shaved head variety, but I am very blonde and have had too many sunburned scalps after even just a short time outside.  I also am married to a melanoma survivor, so UV protection is kind of a big deal.  And putting sunblock anywhere above my eye level guarantees that it will get in my eyes...that shit burns and there is no such thing as "sweat-proof."  My pores laugh at these sport sunblocks' claims.

I wear a Buff for runs and as a helmet liner on the bike.  I have the UV protecting ones and really love them.  They wick sweat well.  I also have one wool one that I can double-up and wear as a hat or as a balaclava when it's cold.

So you run in the buff.  Interesting.

I have a shaved head also.  I normally wear a lightweight beanie from Columbia.  See link below*****  It is great for any cold temps. I have worn it even on 70-80 degree days without too much discomfort.  It absorbs sweat REALLY well and also helps hold in my headphones which always fall out.   On hotter days I am wearing some home made sweat band I made.  It works ok for now.  I have not had any burns on my scalp YET....

http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cfm?id=22986  *** Link to my Columbia beanie

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

keeponrunning

Just ordered 2 of these...you better be right!  Wink  I'm tired of a burnt head though!!  Stinkin' reddish-blonde hair!  Tongue

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So you run in the buff.  Interesting.

I bike in the buff, too -- must explain all those cat-calls! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Buffs are generally great equipment. Although I tend to use them in cold weather.