Goal of a sub-30 minute 5K (Read 10495 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ok, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I've been running for about 3 years now and have yet to break 30 minutes in the 5K. I'd like to, though. Surely there are others out there who are also working on this noble goal. It's not sub-16, it's not sub-17, sub-19, or even sub-20. Aspiring sub-30 5K runners come out of hiding! I've been blessed with a combination of natural slowness and a tendency to get injured on relatively low mileage. But I'm tired of only seeing these racing threads for runners who are so much faster than I am. Back-o-the-packers, come out and join me in my quest! I didn't run in high school. No, wait. I did. For three weeks. And I got injured. Roll eyes So my current 5K PR happened about a year ago, when I was 35. I'm ready to do better than that.

Roads were made for journeys...

What I can see from your logs is that you rarely run over 1.5mi. You run just about every day which is good, but I think you need to run at least 2mi a day. If you started running more mileage less times a week I bet your times would improve. Throw in a long run weekly of 3+ mi, a mid week run of 2.5mi, and a couple 2mi runs and your speed would improve. I am not that experience, but that is my guess why you have a slow time.

Just Happy to Run

That was my goal this year but I happed to break it just last week by 3 seconds (not in an official race). So I went ahead and set my goal to sub 25 minutes... no expectation to break it though. If I get sub 30 min in an official 5k race this year I'll be happy! My next 5k will be with my 5 year old daughter in May. After my HM a couple of weeks ago she's been itching for a real race herself and has been running her short distances with me on weekends (I push her in a jogging stroller for the rest). Because the 5k will be her first race ever, and my first official 5k ever, we'll both PR at her run/walk time!!!! Big grin I can't wait! I'll be such a proud papa and proud of a 5k PR of an hour and a half or so... Yes edit: I didn't really ad in how I was going about improvement... basically just time and miles. (And picking the odd run to consciously push my speed.)
        Jason

2010 Goals
        • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles

Former runner

My first 5k last year was over 32 minutes so my main goal for 5ks this year is to break the 30 minute mark. I almost broke 30 min last December but the course was about .5 miles short so I now have a 2.6 mile PR. I still need to pick a 5k for this summer. I have my first half coming up so I'll probably pick something after that.

Ross

Homer

Keep working at it. What type of injuries do you have? muscle, bone, etc? Are you overweight? Do you get short of breath? Meph is correct. Run for an extra 5 or 10 min when you work out. Occasionally try some short tempo segments. When I started running at age 60, I could not go more than a quarter mile. Lost weight and kept at it. Next month I am planning to run my first marathon. I am 64 and have lost 100 lbs over the past 4 years, and ran 4.1 mi this a.m., 3.1 yesterday a.m. Find someone to run with and make you accountable. Last weekend ran a 28:54 5K in a race. Usually run about 29 to 33 5k's in practice.
              Your goal of breaking a 30 Min 5K is just as big of a deal as people that want to break 17 or 18 Mins -- Everyone is different and all running goals are important. I am curious about your injuries because the number of miles you are running 'shouldn't' cause injury. I think if we can get to the root cause of your running injury history issues, your goal of a 30 Min 5k will come pretty quickly, because you would be able to increase your mileage. Ht -- Wght?? Tell us about your injury-- specifically what of injuries, and frequency? What kind of running shoes do you wear??

Champions are made when no one is watching

Wingz

Professional Noob

Jason - congrats on breaking the 30 min mark last week! Cool Ross - I hit 32 min last year, but have been slower ever since due to a string of injuries. Sad Still, there's no reason we can't get better this year! For the rest of y'all, yes, I'm overweight. 5'5, 170 lbs, and in the middle of that long slow process of bringing that down to something better to run with. The injuries I've had were runner's knee, multiple IT band issues, trochanteric bursitis, sprained ankles, and most recently a nice little Morton's neuroma that doesn't want to go away. I just got to the podiatrist this morning re: the neuroma, and we're going to try some funny wrapping and padding to take the pressure off and see if that doesn't clear up the problem. *crosses fingers* Yes, I'm currently running 1.4 miles/day. I've been streaking for about 7 weeks now. I've learned these last few years that my body does NOT like longer runs, uneven surfaces, trails, or clumping my runs together at one end of the week & taking the rest of the week off. I've also learned that when I streak I don't get new injuries. So far. *knocks on wood* So I'm streaking. I started at 1 mile, and have been gradually, timidly, increasing that distance. I seem to have a pattern of working up to about 15 miles/wk and then getting injured... so if I'm being uber-cautious as I approach that mark, that's why. Earlier on in my running career, I got up to the low 30's a few times... as I was training for a HM. I've run 2 HM's now, and each time I've had an acute flare-up of my IT band during the race. Angry This last year or so, I've had a flare-up any time I tried to run more than about 5 miles. Sad I've worked with a PT on the problem, and it's currently behaving. However, the memory of the crippling pain keeps me from jumping into anything suddenly... So I'm currently at 1.4 miles, and if I am able to follow the training plan I made for myself, I should be up to 2 around mid-May. It just keeps going back to staying uninjured.

Wingz

Professional Noob

As for shoes, I am alternating between some Mizuno Waveriders and some Brooks Infinity. Yes, the Infinity's more of a stability shoe while the Waveriders aren't. That's a carry-over from when I was working with the PT and got some orthotics, shifting me from stability shoes to more neutral. I expect to be buying new shoes and retiring the Infiniity soon... as soon as I get this foot thing figured out! Don't want to get the wrong kind for what I need... Roll eyes

50 halfs by age 50

Ok, I'm not ashamed to admit it. I've been running for about 3 years now and have yet to break 30 minutes in the 5K. I'd like to, though. Surely there are others out there who are also working on this noble goal. It's not sub-16, it's not sub-17, sub-19, or even sub-20. Aspiring sub-30 5K runners come out of hiding! I've been blessed with a combination of natural slowness and a tendency to get injured on relatively low mileage. But I'm tired of only seeing these racing threads for runners who are so much faster than I am. Back-o-the-packers, come out and join me in my quest! I didn't run in high school. No, wait. I did. For three weeks. And I got injured. Roll eyes So my current 5K PR happened about a year ago, when I was 35. I'm ready to do better than that.
                    Right there with ya, Wingz! My PR stands at 33:51 and was about a year and a half ago, partly because I haven't done a 5K since. This is my 5th year running. I'm working on eliminating the R/W intervals, so I feel like I'm starting over from square one. My mile pace is averaging about 11:20 without walk breaks. I'm at really low mileage right now, but I have done 3 half marathons this year. (we can talk about that PR in another thread Big grin). I did run in high school, but that was during basketball when we did horse races for punishment. I struggled with plantar fasciitis for 3 years, which is quiet (knock on wood) right now. I also found out I was born with bones in my other foot that are tethered together so LR over about 10 -12 miles are really interesting the next day. Every time I've tried to add a 4th running day to my week, the PF flares up. I've added one day of biking and one day at the Y on weights and stationary to try to make up for that. (And did a duathlon last year). I'm 5.5 1/2, 157 lbs (about 25lbs less than when I started, but still working on it). Oh...and I turned 40 last year. Shocked I have freakishly high arches and custom orthotics. I am okay with being in the back of the pack most days, but I wouldn't mind being at the front of the back. Cool Who's next?

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Melissa! How'd your training week go? I'm working with a podiatrist trying to get my Morton's Neuroma under control. It was good for a day with a Low Dye wrap, but seems to be having issues again. Undecided I had been hoping to bump my TM runs up to 1.5 today, but I stopped early because it was hurting to run and I don't want to aggravate something I'm trying to heal... *sigh* Follow-up is in 1 1/2 weeks... *drums fingers* *ices foot* *swallows ibuprofen* Roll eyes

50 halfs by age 50

Not too bad, Janell. I did 3.1 miles yesterday, but had two one minute walk breaks, one at . My short runs during the week are around 2.4 miles. I've been following a modified C25K thing, 30 min twice a week, then a LR on Sat. I'm going to bump the LR up to 4 miles once I've completed the 3.1 without walk breaks. 11 easy miles on the bike today. I'm sorry the neuroma is bugging you. I'm surprised the Low Dye strapping works for Morton's. I thought the neuroma was due to lateral compression of the foot, like a tight toe box in the shoe. I would think the lateral taping would make that worse, but podiatry is NOT my strong suit Wink Are you going to try to run again tomorrow or take the day off?

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Wingz

Professional Noob

DEFINITELY running. I'm on a streak! (Thanks, jeffdonahue, for introducing me to the idea. Big grin ) Currently at day 50, exactly one day longer than my previous record. Big grin The Low Dye is to keep the ankle and foot bones from moving so much with each step. They normally move in relation to each other... which was rubbing my nerve and not allowing it to heal. Also, a Low Dye stops wrapping before the wide part of the ball of the foot - the area where the nerve is being pinched actually isn't wrapped at all. It's all more towards the heel & middle of the foot. I've always been a wide-box shoe kinda gal, so it took me a while to figure out what was going on in the first place. :"> I kept a wrap on for three days (had to do it myself a few times) and had it off last night. (I work nights. Walking. A lot.) It's not 100% better, but I can tell an improvement. I don't think that taking two one-minute walk breaks within a 35-ish minute workout is really that significant in terms of negatively impacting the training benefit. Run/walk peeps will tell you that taking breaks like that will let you train for longer with less risk of injury. (Didn't work for me, but I'm a sample of one. Wink ) I think what I'm trying to say is that from what little info I have on you and your training I wouldn't say to hold yourself back until you've erased those walk breaks. They're quite reasonable, possibly beneficial, and certainly nothing to beat yourself up over. If you want to run longer but want to still take walk breaks, then do it! Smile Off to run, and then to bed!

I am okay with being in the back of the pack most days, but I wouldn't mind being at the front of the back. Cool
                            My sentiments exactly! I have yet to break 30 minutes, but I came close once. Something like 30:34 last fall. I ran a 5 mile race earlier this year and averaged 10.5 mm...I was thrilled. Most of my training runs are around 12 mm. I feel good at that speed. I don't run a lot of 5k's so maybe next time. I haven't ever run over 6.2 miles at a time and am in the early weeks of Hal Higdon's half marathon training plan. Next week I'm scheduled to run 7 miles for my long run, and every week thereafter increases another mile. I think it's a bit of a mental block for me to run that far. We have a 20K here in May and I have some pie in the sky thought that I could actually run it! Me? The girl who 2 years ago had never run? And when I started the c25k that summer, I about died when I had to run for 90 seconds straight? Wingz - Running every day is amazing! I recently changed from 3 days a week to 4. Besides trying to juggle the job and kids schedules, this was a very intimidating thing to me. It's been ok, which goes to show it was more mental than physical. jwwleonard - Congrats on making your 30 minute goal! You're what it's all about for us on the other side of the fence. chimera - Three half marathons is impressive! Way to go! cameraready - Best of luck on your first half...what a sense of accomplishement. I'm looking forward (I think Big grin) to my first 20k and I must admit I'm a bit intimidated and of course always worry about being dead last.
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

I've been having mixed results with the foot thing. I've discovered that forefoot striking does not hurt my foot nearly as much as heel-striking. I've been a heel-striker for 3 years, but if forefoot striking allows me to run without pain, then I'm definitely a convert! The doc had only wanted me to use the wrap for about 3 days, so I'm off that now. I'm taking ibuprofen before running (on the doc's advice, Trent. Tongue ) and icing after. I also got some new shoes and have started running in my previous orthotics rather than the insoles with the holes cut out in them. The combination seems to be working, as I've had two 1.55 mile runs without the neuroma acting up... separated by one 1 mile run that was really painful when I did things a different way. Roll eyes I'm crossing my fingers that I have found a solution! The only thing that concerns me is that in addition to changing my gait to forefoot striking, I'm needing to run with wide, splayed toes. I'm concerned that I'll injure my Achilles tendon from making a gait switch, and something else inside my feet from running with intentionally wide toes. However, the devil you know is worse than the one you don't... so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best! Handymom - 30:34? That's so close and TOTALLY doable! I'm familiar with Higdon's schedule. Going up one mile every other week is very reasonable for long run increases. One thing that helped me get over the mental hurdle when I was trying to do that program a few years ago was making a deal with myself. You may want to try this: "Okay, self. I know I can run 6 miles. So, I'll go out on a 7 mile route and run for 6... if I'm still okay when I reach 6 miles, I'll finish the run. Otherwise, I'll just walk in and it'll be okay." Somehow, I was always okay when that last mile came up... except for being a little foot-sore. Wink But if you have to walk in, then you just try again the next week. I think you'll surprise yourself with what you can do if you sneak up on it like that. chimera: how'd the run go? your log's not public so I'm having trouble stalking you. Tongue cameraready: no biking for 2 weeks - everything okay? When's your HM?

50 halfs by age 50

Handymom...wow, you are almost there! Congrats on going so far in just 2 years! I like Higdon's training philosophy, but have never completely followed one of his plans. Keep me posted on how you like it and how it works for you. I really enjoy the half marathon distance. Challenging, but not life-consuming like marathon training was. I have done 8 of them and am registered for 2 more. What race are you doing next month? I'd like to fit RnR Va Beach in, but not sure if we can get babysitting for the weekend. Janell...Quite a streak you have going! Did you try barefoot running for awhile to help with the forefoot strike? I tried it on the TM for a bit, but am afraid to really do it outdoors. Hope the new technique works for you! Not sure what kinda run I'm doing tomorrow...3.1 or 4. Ross...which half marathon are you doing?