Reading for Inspiration: Your favorite books about running (Read 935 times)

Well I decided to post a few books that I've read having to do with running and they are very inspirational to get you going if you ever feel burnt out. First of all I highly recomend the book Running with the Buffaloes by Chris Lear. Author Chris Lear follows the CU's cross country team during the 1998 season with Adam Goucher and Mark Wetmore. Little did Lear know that this would be CU's most trying cross country season. Not only does it include a great story but it gives great detail on work outs that the team does. Sub 4:00 another by Chris Lear. This time it follows Alan Webb in his freshman year at the University of Michighan. It is a good story to get a deep background of Webb. It also talks about other greats. Currently, I'm reading a book called Marathon by Hal Higdon. I picked this book up because in October I will be running the Windy City Marathon in Chicago. This book doesn't really have a story but gives great advice for both beginners and veterans. It goes into detail from everything to the correct diet to tapering.

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

John Bingham's "The Courage to Start" is especially great for new runners. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Currently, I'm reading a book called Marathon by Hal Higdon. I picked this book up because in October I will be running the Windy City Marathon in Chicago. This book doesn't really have a story but gives great advice for both beginners and veterans. It goes into detail from everything to the correct diet to tapering.
        I finished this one a month or two ago and liked it a lot.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Why is it sideways?

Once a Runner, by John L. Parker. Best running novel ever written.

The voice of mile 18

sorta running related "becoming an ironman" by kara douglas Thom lots of great stories never read but always meant to - the loneliness of the long distance runner or something similar anyone know it?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Running With the Legends by Michael Sandrock.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

mbk

Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon To The Edge: A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance And Then The Vulture Eats You Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer

shonan marathon, girl

Once a Runner, by John L. Parker. Best running novel ever written.
                  I agree! A movie based on this will be coming out this year. The sequel to this book "Again to Carthage" is also set to be due in July 2007.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

In HS, I enjoyed Jim Fixx's (RIP Jimmy) Complete Book of Running. I also enjoyed a book about Jim Ryun that was an in depth look at his quest to be the first sub 4:00 high schooler. Not about running, but I think Into Thin Air is excellent, both from the standpoint of pushing oneself to one's limits as well as a cautionary tale of hubris.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Runners run

mikeymike

I agree! A movie based on this will be coming out this year. The sequel to this book "Again to Carthage" is also set to be due in July 2007.
                        Will Once a Runner be re-released then? I'd love to read it... Looks like the movie rumor is not true.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

As mentioned on the running and evolution thread, the best nonfiction on running I've read is Bernd Heinrich's account of training for (and breaking) the 100k world record. The title of the book is simple: Why We Run. It's a mix of accounts of insane training and evolutionary biology (Bernd's a trained biologist) that will turn you into an ultrarunner if you're not careful.
                            The sequel to this book "Again to Carthage" is also set to be due in July 2007.
                            Wouldn't that be great? My hopes aren't exceptionally high, as it was supposed to be out years ago, then a publishing date was set in early 2005 when the book went up on Amazon- since then it's been pushed back a coupla times without explanation. I would hope they re-release the original sometime as it's so rare. On Amazon there are no new copies and the used copies start at - wait for it... $89.95 (running up to $150)

Wasatch Speedgoat

1. Certainly "Once A Runner" 2. A Cold Clear Day...a book on Buddy Edelen 3. Running with Gerry Lindgren...written by the Ghost of Gerry Lindgren 4. Duel in the Sun...about the 1982 Boston Marathon battle between Salazar and Beardsley 5. Did I Win?...Book on the final days of George Sheehan I could go on and on, but these are some that I've read this year...I have once a Runner listed as #1, but I think my favorite, most inspirational is A Cold Clear Day. PS: Tapering sucks...

Life is short, play hard!

nemo1

The book that got me started (don't laugh) The Non-Runner's Guide to Running a Marathon. It has a lot of information about two teachers teaching a marathon class at a college. They basically share a typical running schedule and then testimonies about people's experiences in the class. It was good, especially since I picked it up just because I was like, "there's no way a book is going to make me want to run"... Well, it did.