Clarification on Speedwork (Read 668 times)

JKD

I'm looking over this training regimen that I found on the internet. About 6 weeks into the workout, it calls for speedwork and is listed as follows: 3x800@4:12 w/ 400 jogs I understand everything except for the time/pace. Is that supposed to be 800m at a 4:12/mi pace?!? Or is that supposed to mean "run 800m in 4:12"? A 4:12/mi pace seems REALLY fast to me? I'm a beginner, so it may not be fast to some of the more experienced runners, but at this point I don't think I can maintain that quick of a pace for 800m. I could easily run 800m in a time of 4:12, however. Can anyone clarify?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

3 x 800 in 4:12 per 800, with a 400 m jog in between each one. If 4:12 is too easy for you, you need to find a more appropriate target pace. Your 800s should be at least as hard as your 5k race effort. You may need to spend the first few finding the right pace. Another way to do it is to do a reverse-Yasso; take your target marathon time in hours:minutes and that is the number of minutes:seconds you should be running your 800s. This is a rough estimate at best. For example, if you think you will be able to run a 3:50:00 marathon, you should run your 800s in about 3:50 per 800 meters.
        800m in 4:12 is a 8:27/mi pace. To help us assess whether this is actually too easy for you, it might help if we had your current training paces, mileage base and/or any race results. (I.e., you might want to make your log public Smile)

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree, but if it feels easy, it is easy. Running 800s is supposed to be a workout; it is supposed to be tough.
          JKD

Okay, I made my log public! Big grin I wouldn't say that running 800m in 4:12 is TOO easy for me, but definitely do-able. I'm still pretty new at running so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for sharing your expertise, everyone! Smile I'm trying a very aggressive training schedule in order to be able to run as far and as fast as I can by March. I'm not sure if I should be running 3x a week, or if it would be better to run 2 on, rest 1, 3 on, rest 1, repeat. Given that I have to be in tip-top shape by March, do you have any suggestions? Thanks again!
            Scout7

Considering your newness to running, I wouldn't be doing intervals at all. I would be trying to up the number of times I run each week to around 4 or more. I would also work on increasing the distances or times (whichever you prefer to use). What is in March that you're trying to ramp up to?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Agreed. Based on your miles, I would not be doing intervals either. You should do intervals when you have established a firm base of at least 20-25 miles per week, week in and week out, and have perhpas put in a couple of races. Then you should do intervals as part of a specific training regimen that is oriented towards a goal race. Most novice programs and some intermediate programs I have seen do not include interval training. I just ran 8 marathons in 8 months and still have not done much interval training. Right now, run hills, long miles and frequently. The speed will come. After that, add in intervals, temp, fartlek, etc.
                JKD

Considering your newness to running, I wouldn't be doing intervals at all. I would be trying to up the number of times I run each week to around 4 or more. I would also work on increasing the distances or times (whichever you prefer to use). What is in March that you're trying to ramp up to?
                  I'm trying to complete an endurance challenge, similar to a Fireman's competition, where I'll be running and climbing, sometimes with a weighted vest. I haven't been putting it on my running log, but I'm also doing a lot of push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc. to prepare. My main goal with the running is to be able to maximize my endurance and fitness level to be able to run as far as I can, since there will be a lot of that in the competition. So, by the sounds of things, perhaps I should up my frequency of running to more than 3x a week? On runnersworld.com, there is a training schedule program that provides the following information: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smtcresults/0,7144,s6-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0,00.html?hour=0&mins=8&secs=0&rlen=onem&rdst=tenk3&mpwe=6&startf=123xyz&diff=vhard&lrdy=0&slen=11&trainstart=ds1167098045921&metr=miles That's where I got the interval information from.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, increase your running frequency. You need to be up to a consistent minimum 20-25 miles per week, spread out over at least 4-5 days of running. That will build your endurance at this point far more than any anaerobic workout, such as 800s.
                    Scout7

I agree with Trent (notice a trend?). Intervals and sprinting aren't going to do you much good, unless all you've got to do is run short distances. I've done 30k in boots with a 50 lb. backpack, in under 4:30. The best way to prep for that is to simulate conditions (in my case, wear a backpack and boots). Other than that, it's just a lot of aerobic running. You have about 2-3 months to prepare for this. Do you know about how far you think you'll be running? I'm guessing that it's not straight running the whole time, that you'll be doing other tasks as well, but a vague idea would be good. A Heart Rate Monitor could be useful to maximize your training, but is certainly not required by any stretch.
                      JKD

The most that I would run in one stretch would be 3 miles. However, you are right, I will be running around throughout the day with different obstacles/activities thrown in between. Just not any more than 3 miles at any one time. If I had to guess, I would imagine that I will be running around 6-8 miles total for the day.