Fantasy Football Strategy (Read 1074 times)

Tiefsa

This will be my first year in a serious Fantasy Football Draft.  I know nothing really about it.  Here is my completely asinine idea.  Draft three good QB's right away and then use two of them for trade bait.  Good idea or stupid?

the man put the gun away

Stupid. 

Of course it also depends on your scoring and lineup settings.  For me, I always draft RBs and WRs for the first 4 or 5 rounds and take a mid level QB like Schaub or Eli in the mid rounds.  

Oh, and wait on TE until later.  There is so much depth this year.

I usually never take a QB with my first four picks.  Unless, like beanteck said, you have settings that make the QB more important than normal.  Example, you have to start two QB's every week.  I've never been in a league like that so I've never worried too much about a QB until at least the 5th round.  I had one of my drafts on Monday and got Tony romo with my 5th pick.  He's defnitely a top 6 QB in fantasy value.  This was after picking Arian Foster, Hakeem Nicks, Vincent Jackson, and Miles Austin.  I'm in a PPR league so receptions are huge, plus, you have to start at least 3 WR's and two of the flex spots are WR options.  This possibly 5 WR's in my lineup every week.  I had the #1 pick which I hate, but grabbed a top RB that will get plenty of receptions, and used my next 3 picks on tier 1 and 2 WR's.

Hoodoo Guru

Unlike real football, the quarterback has less value than the best running back and receivers, with more value trending toward receivers now.  Plus, depending on your leagues, you may not find people who are that in to trading.

The tangents are moot.

very bad idea.

Stock pile RB's and WR and wait on the QB. You can get a decent one in the 6-8th round this year.

I can't stand the Steelers, but looks for Big Ben late. They have a favorable schedule against secondarys this year and he has 3 decent WR, decent TE and a good run game to keep it honest.

You are better off getting RB's and WR to trade for what you need later on.

I think after Peterson and Foster you might start to think about QB.  Chris Johnson has questions marks and you can get elite points out of a QB like Brady and Rodgers.  You at least know what you are getting with these two and some other QB's like Brees and Rivers.  Even with Foster (1 year wonder) and Peterson (No QB) they have questions marks.  I just think they are worthing the littlle bit of risk that goes along with the reward.  I also like the offense that Foster is in. 

Plus I like the depth of RB right now.  Leshon McCoy or a Shannon Greene could be just as good as   We get 4 points for TD's and the longer they are the more points you can get.  So that makes a little bit of a difference.  Shoot even a couple of the wide receivers are worth taking.  Like a Fitgerald.  He was pretty good with a bad QB last year. 

I would avoid Peyton Manning and Chris Johnson at this point.  However, if CJ drops to 6th or 7th he might be worth the risk. 

My two cents worth. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
              • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
              • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

What are everyone's top 10 players?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

This will be my first year in a serious Fantasy Football Draft.  I know nothing really about it.  Here is my completely asinine idea.  Draft three good QB's right away and then use two of them for trade bait.  Good idea or stupid?

I think you need to ask them first. They may thrive on the competition.  But, third string is tough.  Of course, there was that Bono guy who played behind Montana and Young.  He managed a nice little career for himself. Of course, it's the team as a whole that's important. The individual's happiness and future prospects can only be side considerations. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

MrH

Stupid, definitely. What kind of Fantasy Team uses early picks on three QBs? For the first three picks on my fantasy team I'm considering Scarlett Johansen, Jessica Alba and a young Raquel Welch.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Also, scoring is important in who you draft. If you are rewarded 6 pts for TD's thrown  and bonuses for yardage than your thoughts on taking a few QB's isnt that bad of an idea.

If you are in a PPR league and TD's are worth 4 then it's a very bad idea drafting QB's that early.

Also, Chris Johnson is meeting with owners today. His stock will go either high or low after today.

Also, scoring is important in who you draft. If you are rewarded 6 pts for TD's thrown  and bonuses for yardage than your thoughts on taking a few QB's isnt that bad of an idea.

If you are in a PPR league and TD's are worth 4 then it's a very bad idea drafting QB's that early.

Also, Chris Johnson is meeting with owners today. His stock will go either high or low after today.

Yes.

MrH, I think you need to consider that it's important to ultimately score.  You are a married man, so I would drop the whole enterprise, if I were you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

you can never have too many kickers.  draft them early and often.  you'll thank me later. 

(see you at the draft Tief)

MrH

MrH, I think you need to consider that it's important to ultimately score.  You are a married man, so I would drop the whole enterprise, if I were you.

I'll take the chance on my DW still being available in the later rounds.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

SMART Approach

In 16 years, I have only drafted a QB once in the first round and had my worst team ever. I have won this 12 team league 6 times and also one a national league ($10,000). One year-7years ago I drafted a RB in first 3 rounds and won it all.  I would not do that today because of many reasons but..........I would not draft a QB in 1st rounds but I am curious of your pick in first round and what is your scoring system for QBs?  Do not load up on QBs in first 3 rounds. Go to www.thefantasyconsultant.com  for good tips. Nathan is excellent.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

. Go to www.thefantasyconsultant.com  for good tips. Nathan is excellent.

+1.  He got me through my draft on Monday and will get me through my next next Monday.  His show on Sirius is great too if you have satellite radio.