Am I too old to increase my speed? (Read 846 times)

Man in Tights

This has been bothering me for a while now? I'm soon going to be 44. Till my arthroscopy ( for a torn meniscus ) last year my average pace was usually around 13 kmph or 4.36 miins. per km for a 10K. After a year of rehab I'm averaging between 12.5-12.9 kmph for the same distance. I don't run the same weekly 45 km per week that I used to. I'm alternating between running and swimming to reduce the risk of re-injury. So at best I manage 28-30 km per week. Nevertheless can I hope to increase my speed without having to alter my current regimen? Is age a factor here. Or is it just a matter of increasing the volume of running?
      Age is a factor, no doubt. But depending on how hard you had been training previously in your life, you can overcome age with mileage to some extent. I had a few friends run their lifetime PR's at the marathon and other distances in their late 40's and one at age 50. Your case is confounded by a knee injury and recovery from surgery, however. Was your knee injury mileage related? Will you be able to gradually increase your mileage? From my experience you do need to train a bit differently as you age but that doesn't mean less mileage. Many times it means more mileage but less intensity. Don't give in. Be stubborn.

Runners run

SMART Approach

Narsi, Your avg pace was pretty good before surgery on 45K per week. You have some talent or perhaps you are training at too fast of pace in your training runs. If you are running less, it is very difficult to build your pace per minute. Throwing in hard speed work gives you temporary benefits but certainly not something on your list to do as injury is an issue. Would only be recommended as you peak toward a 5K, 10K or 1/2 marathon. Did you get a lot of cartilage removed and have a concern there regarding running? Torn cartilage is an injury and once you heal the injury and get your leg strong, this really shouldn't prevent you from building your mileage back up unless your meniscus is all gone. Then you probably shouldn't run at all or get some joint fluid therapy injections (viscosupplementation) to provide viscosity and elasticity in knee joint and preserve your hyaline cartilage (cartilage that coats the articular surface of bones). When this wears away you have arthritis. Your best way to get faster is to slowly build up to 60K running at very comfortable paces with some faster finish runs. Running faster (harder) in all training runs only gives you temporary improvements and increases injury risk. Slowly build (if possible) and your paces will come down in training and races.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I would expect that it has less to do with your age than with the other factors you cite. I am 57 and improving slowly but surely, though I have only been running for 18 months. Obviously I am no expert but its my opinion that the two areas offering the greatest scope for improvement for "hobbyist" runners (as opposed to elite or expert level runners) are 1) running more miles and 2) doing longer long runs, up to 30kms or so. I honestly think some of us non-experts get really impressed by complex formulae for calculating the correct interval times, distances, rests etc. and get away from the fundamentals. I have no doubt that there is a place at the higher levels for understanding the difference between training for VO2 max and lactate threshold, but I know I'm not there yet! Good luck! Simon. (I'd be interested in hearing more about running in India, how popular it is etc.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I’m 44 and running better than ever. It has more to do with me training harder and smarter than I have in the past but I expect to continue to improve for at least a few more years.

Res firma mitescere nescit
            Running in Tampa

Man in Tights

20% of the cartilege was removed. My ortho told me one could run with 60% cartilege. So that's not an issue. The concern is increasing mileage could result in further damage. But I think I have no option really. Thanks for the advice.

Man in Tights

(I'd be interested in hearing more about running in India, how popular it is etc.) Running is becoming pretty popular here with people becoming health and appearance conscious . The biggest running event is the StanChart Marathon that happens in Mumbai. Then we have the Hash House Harriers who run every second Sunday followed by some serious beer consumption. Most of the country has warm humid weather so one needs to to get used to it. Though not as scenic as a London or Chicago or Denver some of our cities have some very nice running locations. If you do visit India some time let me know. Cheers
                  I'm much older than you Narsi (I'm 45 Wink ) and I'm still improving my PRs by miniscule margins, so I agree with Simon that it is the other factors you mentioned that might impose limitations. Age is a factor for anyone on the wrong side of puberty, if you ain't growin' you're dyin'. Like mikeymike said, don't give in, be stubborn. Use your hard earned wisdom, experience and guile.
                  (I'd be interested in hearing more about running in India, how popular it is etc.)
                  This is one of my all-time favorite RA race reports, PerfesserR's Mumbai Marathon report. It will make you feel like you're in India. And here's some Hash House Harriers History, they sound like a really, um, interesting crew. To really get a feel for them, check out some of the more lusty entries in their hymnal. Best of luck to you Narsi, keep us posted.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Richard21142

You might want to make sure that your quadriceps are strong enough to stabilize your knee. This will prevent injury to your knee. I had knee surgery (cartilege) the "old fashioned" way, but did a lot of lifting before the surgery which shortened the recovery. I set my last PR at 48 so at 44, you're a youngster.

SMART Approach

20% of the cartilege was removed. My ortho told me one could run with 60% cartilege. So that's not an issue. The concern is increasing mileage could result in further damage. But I think I have no option really. Thanks for the advice.
                      Normal running doesn't cause your cartilage/meniscus to tear. With 80% of your meniscus, you can increase you miles slowly and be fine. And as Richard mentioned, do quadricep and hamstring strengthening to take some pressure off the joint.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com