Another PF Chang 1/2 Marathon Race Report (Seeking Advice) (Read 588 times)

My Hero

It seems the more I run and race, the less sure I am with what pace to run. All in all I was happy with the run. Got a PR, but felt I might have "left a little in the bank." Just wasn't sure or confident of what pace to run. My biggest fear was going out too fast. Perhaps my my memory of bonking at mile 21 of my last full marathon was in the back of my mind? Chip time: 1:46:41 = 8:09 mi. 5K: 26:19 = 8:28 mi. 10K: 51:10 = 8:14 mi. 10.2 (mi.) 1:26:01 = 8:28 mi. So, based on these splits from the active.com results, it took me 20:40 to finish the last 2.9 miles. If the math is correct, my pace per mile was 7:09 for the last 2.9 miles. Knowing that, could I have perhaps run the overall race a little faster? And if so, and running even splits, what pace (per mi.) should I have run? Tommy
      Wow, that is a FAST last 2.9 miles!!! But I'm just a beginner so I'll leave the advice up to the experts on here Smile
      keep running!

My Hero

Wow, that is a FAST last 2.9 miles!!! But I'm just a beginner so I'll leave the advice up to the experts on here Smile
        Thanks gohawks. Yeah I was hoping that someone has experienced the same thing, but I'm beginning to wonder... I've only ran 3 half's and 2 full marathons so I'm really pretty inexperienced when it comes to really knowing what the "right" pace feels like for a given distance.

Lazy idiot

pegasus: It will help the more experienced runners analyze your question if you make your log public so they can see your training that led up to your race. I don't have much to add other than to say: nice race. Big grin

Tick tock

It looks like it, but again, would be helpful to see your log. Great race!
            2009: BQ?
            Scout7

It's entirely possible to pull off what you did. As to what pace to run.... That's tricky, and dependent on training.

Another Passion

No advice on the pacing, although it appears you could have bumped it up a notch over the course of the race, just a hearty congratulations on a fine race! Enjoy the great finish!

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

My Hero

pegasus: It will help the more experienced runners analyze your question if you make your log public so they can see your training that led up to your race. I don't have much to add other than to say: nice race. Big grin
                  Thanks. Unfortunately, the only log or record that I have is in both Garmin and Sportracks. My understanding is Eric is in the process writing a program that will allow runners to import this data, so I have held off starting the RA log. If this will help, and may not be clearly enough information, I tried adapting the "Training Intensities Based on (what I thought) Current VDOT" out of Daniels' Running formula. Based on my last full Marathon "1/2" marathon split I came up with a VDOT of about 41. The reason I didn't use the the full marathon time as a gauge was that I bonked @ mile 21. My average mpw for the last 3 months was 35-42 running 5-6 days a week. During the last 2 months I had gotten in 2- 14 mile runs and 2-16 mile runs for long runs, run every other week. The pace for those: 9:20-9:50. The other week my sorta long run was 10 miles. The pace for those: 8:45-9:15. Also, every week I would run 2-6 milers. One of them I ran at my EL pace of about 9:30-9:50. The other one I would run 2 miles @ my EL pace, then 2 miles @ 8:00-8:10 pace and run the last 2 @ EL pace. My other two run days were 4-5 mile runs. One run @ EL pace and the other @ about 8:45-8:50 pace.

My Hero

No advice on the pacing, although it appears you could have bumped it up a notch over the course of the race, just a hearty congratulations on a fine race! Enjoy the great finish!
                    Hoping to run another half in March. This time I'm running with the "Garmin" if I can take off 9 sec. per mile (and that may be bumping it 2 notches) that would give me a 1:45 finish. Thanks everyone!