Advice on sneakers anyone (Read 860 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Get Asics or Brooks...everything else is garbage ;-)
    The two pair of Asics I have had in my life fit poorly and gave me issues. Ergo Asics must be crap. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

This is probably counterproductive, but here goes anyways. Be wary of "motion control" or "stability" shoes. It's all techno junk designed to screw around with your body. I've been fitted at running stores twice and both times they sold me stability or motion control and both times I suffered. First it was a knee, then it was a hip. As soon as I went to the ol' basic neutral shoe, life was good. I'm partial to the Mizuno line. Only CHUMPS wear Brooks.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is probably counterproductive, but here goes anyways. Be wary of "motion control" or "stability" shoes. It's all techno junk designed to screw around with your body. I've been fitted at running stores twice and both times they sold me stability or motion control and both times I suffered. First it was a knee, then it was a hip. As soon as I went to the ol' basic neutral shoe, life was good.

~ Sarah Kay

Mr R

This is probably counterproductive, but here goes anyways. Be wary of "motion control" or "stability" shoes. It's all techno junk designed to screw around with your body. I've been fitted at running stores twice and both times they sold me stability or motion control and both times I suffered. First it was a knee, then it was a hip. As soon as I went to the ol' basic neutral shoe, life was good. I'm partial to the Mizuno line. Only CHUMPS wear Brooks.
          Agreed. Mizuno has a nice approach to support. The wave is effective and much less intrusive than a fat foam wedge under your arch. I do think that Brooks makes a quality product, though.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Get Asics or Brooks...everything else is garbage ;-)
            I know you're winking, but we all know that's not true, lets not mislead the OP if we can. Everyone from Adidas to Mizuno to Puma to Reebok to Saucony all make good shoes - but some people prefer each one. I prefer Saucony and Puma, but will listen to you on Brooks. I can't stand any Asics I've tried. Good Luck
            JakeKnight

I know you're winking, but we all know that's not true, lets not mislead the OP if we can. Everyone from Adidas to Mizuno to Puma to Reebok to Saucony all make good shoes - but some people prefer each one. I prefer Saucony and Puma, but will listen to you on Brooks. I can't stand any Asics I've tried. Good Luck
              Thank you. Well said. Get the shoe that works for you. According to you, the people at the shoe store, and maybe your podiatrist. Ignore everybody else. Especially anybody that makes blanket statements about entire shoe companies or models.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Oh, did I need to wink? I was just in the mood to agitate -- although I was serious about the motion control/stability stuff.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, did I need to wink? I was just in the mood to agitate -- although I was serious about the motion control/stability stuff.
                  Tell that to my best friend (backroadrunner) who was sidelined for a year because she kept moving towards shoes that offered less and less stability, believing that too much control was the cause of her issues. She finally broke down and went to a sports med guy who put immediately her in motion control shoes and the next move was orthotics if that didn't work. He's an Ironman triathlete who also requires MC shoes, so he's not some hack who knows nothing of running. She has had not a single issue since and is finally getting herself off of the bench after years of issues including stress fractures and back problems.

~ Sarah Kay

Tell that to my best friend (backroadrunner) who was sidelined for a year because she kept moving towards shoes that offered less and less stability, believing that too much control was the cause of her issues. She finally broke down and went to a sports med guy who put immediately her in motion control shoes and the next move was orthotics if that didn't work. He's an Ironman triathlete who also requires MC shoes, so he's not some hack who knows nothing of running. She has had not a single issue since and is finally getting herself off of the bench after years of issues including stress fractures and back problems.
                    I'd be happy to tell it to your best friend. I'm convinced that running stores and shoe companies are biased in favor of over-correction and sophistry. Doesn't mean your best friend didn't need m/c, but it also doesn't mean that anyone without a "high arch" should use an expensive shoe that prevents your foot from doing what it wants to do naturally. I don't know anything about your friend's situation so I can't possibly begin to argue with your description. Did the running store people tell her that she needed neutral and she followed their advice? If so, then it reinforces my view that running store folks are not always the best source of guidance. If not, then it reinforces my view that running store folks prefer to lead runners to the m/c shoes. Either way, I still have my experience. I'm glad your friend's better. I'm sure some people need those shoes. I just think the number is WAY lower than the shoe companies (Mizuno, Brooks, Nike, you name it) want you to believe. The upshot is, as I said before, I would be wary of those shoes and I sure as hell wouldn't buy them just because someone said I have a low arch or whatever the rule of thumb is.
                    celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Again, go with the common advice to know what feels comfortable. Some people need motion control or stability, so I disagree that all of these shoes are evil. I have extremely flat feet (orthotics most of my life, etc.) and never could work out b/c shoes caused too much pain. The solution: Brooks Ariel. Great shoes for me right now, no pain, and I don't even use orthotics in these. Motion control shoes allow me to run. I've tried regular shoes, and all I get is sprain after sprain and tons of pain and suffering. Ignore the brand and have the store fit you, but trust how your feet feel as well.

Chris
                      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

And don't take up a salesperson's time, then walk out and go online to save a few bucks. For that first pair suck it up and do the right thing--buy from the kind person who helped you into that right shoe. Then once you've worn those babies out and know they are the shoe for you, THEN look for deals online for subsequent pairs. Smile
                        Amen. Give your local small business a break. There's even a local store around me that will match prices found online or elsewhere (hey, why not?? A sale at 10-15% off is better than no sale at all. There's still a margin of profit in there.) Good luck, and remember - Brooks Adrenaline rules. Wink

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Ringmaster

I'll tell you what I did, and my salesperson was supportive in this: I asked her not to tell me what shoes she was handing me. I just tried them on. When I got down to the two I liked best, I put one on each foot, and went around for a lap on the treadmill. Interestingly, one foot just felt like it wasn't as "straight"--a fact that was even borne out by outside observation. Now, I went in there wanting to buy Brooks Adrenalines, the shoe I liked the last time I tried on shoes, when I was looking and thinking about brands. But I ended up narrowing it down to the Adidas and the New Balance, and I'm now wearing Adidas Supernovas. The Brooks were the third runners-up. Among for my discards--the ones the salesperson said I told her right away I didn't like the feel of--Asics, Mizuno, and Saucony. Try the shoe, not the brand.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

JakeKnight

I'll tell you what I did, and my salesperson was supportive in this: I asked her not to tell me what shoes she was handing me. I just tried them on. ... Try the shoe, not the brand.
                            That is a brilliant idea.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've been wearing Aisics, but the last time I needed shoes, I asked to try a lot of different ones. For me, I ended up with Aisics again - they just feel right on my foot. It's interesting how everyone differs.
                              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I switched from NB to Asics a couple years ago for price. I discovered wearing stability shoes makes my shoes last longer. I used to wear out one side of the heel. Now my shoes wear out more evenly. Once you find your shoe you can buy the discontinued model a save a few bucks. Good hunting.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/