Taking a risk...asking about man-boobs. (Read 1023 times)

I don't know if there's been a forum on this yet....I searched and found plenty of topics on "boobs", but here goes.

Many years ago I stepped up onto the scale and found that I was a "tad" on the overweight side of things.
    I was 5'8 and weighed in at 225.

I went and bought running shoes and hit the road the next day.

Fast forward many years later - I'm weighing in at 162 now and have greatly improved in my running. 

My belly has gotten flatter and my legs leaner.

HOWEVER - I've still got a little bit of man-boob going on that I don't seem to be losing.

Would push-ups make them go away? 

Should I do a breast-redux? 

HELP! 

(No...I won't show pictures.  But that's only because I don't know how on this site. I've never been successful at linking pictures in these posts)

Glad this is a safe place to share.......*gulp*

Mark

SMART Approach

You can shrink them but they may not totally go away depending on the number or quantity of fat cell in that area. Also, your ability to add muscle will make a difference. My feeling is that you don't have a strong capability for that which is why you have this issue. Hormones can also play a role. Adding muscle in that area will help and have a lifting affect but won't make a difference in number of fat cells you have. Unfortunately, you may be a candidate for liposuction if you have exhausted all other ways to improve your look via diet and resistance training OR if you are really self conscious.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Slo

Lose more weight.

I'm 6' 0"...I'm 164 lbs and also sport a little extra padding in that area. When I gain weight that is the first place I notice it.

The males in my family tend to be "Barrel Chested". The extra weight seems to be carried high vs around the waist.

I doubt push-ups, bench presses or anything like that is going to matter. It'll just increase the muscle size. Maybe achieve a little less jiggle.

MTA...Tchuck knows better about the resistance traing.

No amount of running or lifting gets rid of my single pack belly (there are months where I have run 40 miles/week, did some weights and played soccer/tennis on weekends). Some of us are cursed with a problem area and just have to learn to deal with it I guess.

TheDroppingDead

Since you stated that you were overweight and lost a lot of weight, there is most likely skin that got stretched out in the Pectoral(Chest) area, due to the fat. Is there any fat? Does it feel like fat? Because most likely, it is just streched out skin. To tighten the area, or fill out the chest area, I recommend working out the chest with Push-ups, Bench Press, dumbells, or any type of machine that works the chest. Eventually it should start to look awsome. I am 5'11 175lbs and have a belly, but no man-boobs, because I work my chest. I don't work ny abs and this is what happens.. I started working abs a week ago though.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is it remaining fat or do you simply have skin that's not very elastic and unwilling to shrink down after weight loss?  I have a few areas of my body like that.  I can drop 20#s and those areas simply end up deflated-looking.  These areas on me have stretch marks--the skin stretched out, but ends up looking like a deflated latex balloon when the tissue volume inside has been decreased.

There are guys who suffer from gynecomastia, though.  I think a male has to have noticeably enlarged breast tissue area before insurance would cover removal, but something like lipo (as Tchuck suggested) wouldn't be super expensive--though I have heard that that procedure is very painful.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Since you stated that you were overweight and lost a lot of weight, there is most likely skin that got stretched out in the Pectoral(Chest) area, due to the fat. Is there any fat? Does it feel like fat? Because most likely, it is just streched out skin. 

Yes - it feels like fat. Smile
                I used to do a lot of weight training in college and had a pretty solid pectoral area. 

I'm guessing it's just turned to mush.

TChuck - what can you tell me about resistance training? 

SMART Approach

Pushups certainly have their place and are fine to do, but I would try to add some muscle tissue with some pressing movements that add more resistance.  Bench presses or even better 30-40 degree inclince bench presses or incline DB presses and DB flyes on slight incline at end of work out. Incline presses hit the whole chest but hit the upper chest a touch more. A bit more development higher can create an illusion of less fat mass lower in chest.  Focus or work up to 6-10 sets of 2-3 different exercises twice per week. 8-12 reps is just fine. 2 min rest between. I would increase weight when you get to 12 reps.  I wouldn't do the exact same exercises or order every work out. Mix it up a bit. Maybe one day every 4 work outs, you just do multiple sets of push ups to shock the body. One day you use dumbbells and next work out you use barbells. You get the drift.

FYI, with added chest work, it is nice if you can throw in some back work, chin ups, rows to provide muscular balance (push/pull). You can superset chest exercises with back exercises. Keeps you moving and a good metabolic work out in its own right which can enhance your fat metabolism.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just don't do like this guy does...

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Holy smokes. You should see my upper body Smile

HOWEVER - I've still got a little bit of man-boob going on that I don't seem to be losing.

you're in my group so i checked out your profile pic? those are not moobs, those are called pecks...wear them and be proud. sheesh!

wait a minute...where am i? shit.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Holy smokes. You should see my upper body Smile

But I seem to recall that you have legs that match your upper body.  You're not a "curlbro." Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

you're in my group so i checked out your profile pic? those are not moobs, those are called pecks...wear them and be proud. sheesh!

wait a minute...where am i? shit.

+1 on this. I looked at your pic, and they aren't looking pointy.  Do some chest workouts if it makes ya feel better.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

xor

Hold on.  Man boobs can get... pointy?

What?

You mean I could have had the 1990 Madonna look all along???

SMART Approach

But I seem to recall that you have legs that match your upper body.  You're not a "curlbro." Big grin

Ha!  I need to get out - I had to look up "curlbro" Smile  Yep, I see these people at gym all the time - well developed arms, chest/upper body doing set after set after set on arms/chest but have these skinny little legs!  Not cool!!!