MCM Race Report (Read 664 times)

Very cold 33 at start. Fortunately I arrived with whopping 2 minutes to spare. Just enough time to squeeze into 4:00 pace group. Gamin didn't charge and I didn't want to feed into OCD tendencies and double-check battery status night before. By mile 1, it was merely a bracelet. Stayed with pace group until mile 9. Pace sign threatened to take my eye out and I opted to get ahead. Running sans garmin forced me to rely on how i felt vs time. Proved to be very freeing and much more enjoyable. Had some major knee pain by 15 but it forced me to glide thru water stops instead of stopping because I wouldn't have been able to restate. Otherwise I felt great. Gradually increased pace, knew I had my sub-4 goal in place. Put my iPod on for last 10k and kicked it (for me). Didn't hear the girl tell me the cup was filled w/ beer at 22 and downed it. Lost track of mike markers and was rhrilled to see 25 & 26 and final hill. I will not likely get another perfect race like this again. I registered on a whim too boost my spirits while undergoing cancer treatment. Trained my ass off praying for clear pet scans all the while... Concluded with a small miracle for me yesterday in DC. 9min pace for first half. Negative splits finished 8:57pace overall 3:54:48. BQ and PR >7 minutes, 59/894 field. Best race ever. Cried like a baby...

xor

Tweren't no small miracle - you trained and ran a good race.  And it sounds like you had fun too.  Eyes intact from the pacer sign.  How is the knee today?

WOOHOO!

WOW, Negative split in a marathon and a 7 min PR while battling that knee and your illness, you are truly inspiring. 

Feeling the growl again

Didn't hear the girl tell me the cup was filled w/ beer at 22 and downed it.  

Awesome.

What a great race, thanks for sharing and great job.  What did you end up doing to taper for the race based on the conversation in your other thread?

I did not know about the cancer issue, I hope all is going well with that too.

Enjoy your victory dance!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Best race ever. Cried like a baby...

Yay! And me too!  So happy for you.  You earned it.  You worked your butt off and trained hard and smart and it was fun to watch it all go down.  Congrats to you.  You are an inspiration, for sure!

Congrats!! I'm very happy for you!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WOW, Negative split in a marathon and a 7 min PR while battling that knee and your illness, you are truly inspiring. 

Girl, I love telling your story to people.  I have a friend who is between radiation treatments and ran a 4:14, yesterday...he also ran Chicago, this year.  I have the utmost respect and admiration for you both.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Congrats! I am proud of you. Good luck with your battle against that  f&#@%* CANCER!  It scares the hell out of you. You will win!!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

@Spaniel, I took 4 days off when knee started hurting at beginning of month. Dropped bk from 50 a week to approx 30 and nothing more than an hour on my feet. It got me to DC, though you wouldn't know it today. I'm barely ambulatory. Ha! @Kirsten & Jen, thanks for kind words. Running keeps me kinda sane. Alternative is scarier than cancer. I'm one lucky human... Thanks everyone!!!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Wow. That's just awesome and very inspiring. Congrats!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

jeffdonahue

Wow, negative split, PR and BQ all in one day. 

Maybe we all need to down a beer at mile 22 from now on.  We can call it the Chilidog Beer. 

xor

May I also recommend a chili dog at M20?  Mmmmm.

DoppleBock

Nice - Thanks for the report - I also love to hear when people are freed from the shackles of the their garmin. 

Gamin didn't charge and I didn't want to feed into OCD tendencies and double-check battery status night before. By mile 1, it was merely a bracelet. ... Running sans garmin forced me to rely on how i felt vs time. Proved to be very freeing and much more enjoyable.

Didn't hear the girl tell me the cup was filled w/ beer at 22 and downed it. - Snort

Lost track of mike markers and was rhrilled to see 25 & 26 and final hill. - I love when this happens

. Negative splits finished 8:57pace overall 3:54:48. BQ and PR >7 minutes, 59/894 field. Best race ever. Cried like a baby...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

tomatolover

wow! congrats!!! 

AnneCA

Wonderful result, amazing story - thank you so much for sharing.  Now if you'll excuse me, I got some dust in my eye.