Pulled muscle while sleeping? (Read 1525 times)

thewillhoit

I woke up around 5 this morning with a throbbing pain in my left hamstring.  It felt like a pulled muscle or a cramp.  This is strange because I didn't run yesterday, my week was about 10 miles under my usual work, and I didn't feel anything but the typical soreness in my hip/glut from an old IT Band injury.  So, my questions are:  has anyone experienced something similar to this?  Any suggestions on how to stop the pain?  Is it just dehydration and lack of vitamins or Is this my body giving me a warning about something bigger?  Or is it something else?  Thanks for anyone's help.  

ymmv

alien abduction?

thewillhoit

alien abduction?

Ha!  I don't think so . . . 

Go Pre!

alien abduction?

I agree. This happens a lot.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I agree. This happens a lot.

Especially if one's name is Cletus or Jim-Bob.

If it felt like a cramp, then I would suspect cramp.  I've not experienced that in the hammy, but calf cramps will yank me out of a peaceful and deep sleep, from time to time.  Does your leg feel sorta bruised in that spot, now?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

thewillhoit

A little bit.  I still feel the actual cramp pain every now and again, but that could be the soreness, too.  Since it is at the bottom of the glut and top of the ham, its hard to point out exactly where it is.  I've eaten bananas and hydrated quite a bit.  Seems like a good excuse to get a quick massage before my run today.  

No Talent Drips

alien abduction?

You're not in Missouri, are you? It clicks the linky...

Dei Gratia

thewillhoit

It was feeling better, but after grade papers for about an hour and a half, the pain is back and much more intense.  It still feels like a cramp, but the pain feels more like its hitting a nerve and it is traveling from glut/ham to my knee and a little below.  This sucks.  Perfect day off and I'm worried about hurting myself on a run.  Any ideas?  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe it is a nerve...sciatica, perhaps?  I got that on one side when I was pregnant...it really sucked.  It bothered me most when sitting in my car.  I seem to recall that sitting on a tennis ball in that spot helps some people.  I'd check with your doctor, though.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think aliens are a little more interested in probing orifices. Of course, if  you were resisting, you could have pulled a muscle.  Does anything else hurt, if you know what I mean?  :-)

You might increase your potassium intake.  I've found that that helps when I have muscle pain.  Even gatorade for a quick fix.

It's certainly possible to pull something while you're asleep.  Sheesh, I've had some killer charlie horses that have woken me up sometimes.  Man that hurts.  I've found that as I get older, when they come, they're worse, and leave a "knot" in my calf and hang around longer then they did when I was in my 30s.

Regarding sciatic...that's pretty sucky.  For me, one time I had it in my 20s, the pain started in my butt above my leg, went down, then at my knee, wrapped around to the front of my leg, down to my foot.  This essentially is the path of the nerve.  My foot was numb, but the rest hurt. Sort of made my foot drag when I walked/ran. 

No matter what position I was in it hurt.  Every once in a while you could find a good way to sit/stand/whatever...then, you would have to move to go to the bathroom or something, and  you couldn't find the spot again.

Stretching helped.  Eventually it just went away.  Lots of ibuprofen and naproxen, (doctor prescribed, essentially, industrial strength Aleve).

Jeff

Cool Jump Suit

I've had light cramps / twinges before, but what a really hate are the Charley Horses I get every now and again.  Thems seriously hurt. 

So bittersweet,
                        This tragedy
                        Won't ask for absolution;
                        This melody,
                        Inside of me,
                        Still searches for solution.
                        A twist of faith,
                        A change of heart
                        Cures my infatuation.
                        A broken heart, 
                        Provides the spark
                        For my determination.

zonykel

It hasn't happened recently to me, but a few months ago, I had some sudden, sharp pain on the outer side of my left achilles. Probably wasn't the achilles itself, because the pain ran up the calf, but only a few inches. The weird thing is that it happened when I was passive (sitting down or sleeping), not when I was running.

sincerely silly

I've never had it happen in my hamstrings but my calves cramp up sometimes.  Only twice at night that I remember, where I just woke up in a ton of pain, but was only half-awake and maybe still suffering from sleep paralysis...but either way, I felt so helpless since I wasn't awake enough yet to know to do anything about it if that makes sense.  I think it must happen more than the two times I remember though since I wake up and my calves are sore or no reason a lot.

I'd say not to worry about it though. :-) I go through periods where I am obsessed with electrolytes and though things are better afterwards I'd believe it's just a coincidence.

shin splints are my nemesis

Tomorrow will be worse

I think random muscle cramps are pretty common, nothing to worry about - I always chalk mine up to dehydration or lack of whatever vitamin (potassium is always a primary suspect).

I did have what I thought was a hammy cramp back in my soccer days, and it still felt tight as I warmed up for practice. I took a bit longer to warm up than normal, and it felt better, though still a little tight. So being 20, I ignored it and took off, then pins and needles, shooting pain, and a messed up season for the next 2 months. If it feels tight, don't push it - probably can do an easy run, but if there's any increase in discomfort, back off quick.

Disclaimer: I have no medical training whatsoever, but have done this to myself twice. There won't be a third time, damn it!