DVD workouts (Read 1116 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm planning to purchase this Cathe DVD for cross-training over the late Fall and Winter months, since I need to strengthen my quads and other muscle groups and find ways to stay fit on days when the weather isn't conducive to running outdoors. I've already done a good deal of the kickboxing workout on the disc (a portion of it is on her Timesaver DVD, which I own) and it's tough, but fun. The legs workout on the DVD should also be a good alternative on non-run days. Any other DVDs to recommend? I want to work on getting my quads and abs in better shape, to help (hopefully) with my recurrent hip flexor weakness and pain. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I'm planning to purchase this Cathe DVD for cross-training over the late Fall and Winter months, since I need to strengthen my quads and other muscle groups and find ways to stay fit on days when the weather isn't conducive to running outdoors. I've already done a good deal of the kickboxing workout on the disc (a portion of it is on her Timesaver DVD, which I own) and it's tough, but fun. The legs workout on the DVD should also be a good alternative on non-run days. Any other DVDs to recommend? I want to work on getting my quads and abs in better shape, to help (hopefully) with my recurrent hip flexor weakness and pain. k
      Because clearly you just aren't working out enough, right? Roll eyes Because that problem with your hip just *must* be that you're not working hard enough! Sheesh. You got it bad, girl. Ever see the famous "jump the shark" episode of Happy Days? If not ... well, the Fonz announces he's ski-jumping over a tiger shark in a cage. Richie, being smarter and wiser, tries to talk him out of it. Pride, ego, and basic dumbness of course prevent the Fonz from listening. To which Richie replies: "Fine ... but when you get both your legs bitten off, don't come running to me ..." There's a moral in there somewhere. Tongue

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

Because clearly you just aren't working out enough, right? Roll eyes Because that problem with your hip just *must* be that you're not working hard enough!
        Took the words right out of my mouth! Tight lipped Kirsten... really! I think that winter will be a great time for you to rest up your body some. Jake put out a really good suggestion in saying you should try running only every other day and no more than 20 MPW for a month (with no leggy cross-training) and see how you feel. I think it would do you a lot of good. Remember when you were working really hard to lose all that weight? You didn't get where you are now by eating 500 calories a day because all that does is throw your body into starvation mode. Same thing here. You're asking more of your body than it's willing to give, and it's trying to tell you this with these rotating aches and pains. Listen to your body, girl! Moderation will get you better results than gung-ho. I'm overtraining myself right now in part because I just need the mental stress-relief that running 5-6 x/wk gives. I know I'm at risk for an injury. I'm hoping I luck out and don't give myself one. If I do, you can say "I told you so!" to me, okay?

Roads were made for journeys...

scrumhalfgirl

If you're looking to cross train on your off days, you'd be much better suited doing something NON-LEGS to give them a rest! What about a yoga or pilates video? Or even upper body work is better. We need those days off for our legs to recover.

-Jess

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, I wasn't planning to run the same amount that I currently am AND add leg workouts. The idea is to run fewer days/miles and supplement with workouts that work a different variety of muscles, including more upper-body. Given our Winters I likely won't be able to do much more than 20 miles in a typical weeks, so probably no more than 3-4 days of running and maybe a day or two of video work and a day of yoga. I really think a big part of my hip flexor issues is due to relatively weak quads and abs, so I'd like to help strengthen those areas to offset the stronger hamstrings. k

~ Sarah Kay

For yoga videos, I like Bryan Kest's Power Yoga and all of Shiva Rea's DVDs. Both are vinyasa-style yoga, which means poses are connected by flowing into one another and there is a small aerobic component to them. Both will actually help you a great deal with upper body strength, some lower body strength, as well as flexibility and core work. It's a great non-impact full-body workout. You can actually find both at Netflix too if you use that. Netflix has a surprisingly large number of workout videos.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Netflix is a great suggestion. Hubby thinks we wouldn't make enough use of it, but to preview workout videos would be a great reason to try it--that's much cheaper than buying something that I end up hating (I have quite a few videos collecting dust, mostly due to annoying hosts--yes, I'm looking at you Billy Blanks and Denise Austin!). k

~ Sarah Kay