New! Garmin Forerunner 620/220 (Read 831 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Suggestions that ground-contact, and vertical oscillation should be target criteria to improve hobby running always makes me think of physicists who make claims about motion without an understanding of body-mechanics.  Want to confuse the hell out of a physicist?  Take them to an aikido class.

Just running a lot seems to have improved my biomechanical efficiency a lot: fortunately, my running metronome is useful for the teenage violinist across the street.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Julia1971

Bumping to see if anyone bought the 620 or knows anyone who has.  After breaking my 610 by running in the rain yesterday, I find myself contemplating the purchase of a new Garmin to get me through November 3rd.  I'm not happy about the price and the idea of being an early adopter.  I am curious about my vertical oscillation, though.  Decisions, decisions.

SMART Approach

I don't think 620 is out yet?????

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Julia1971

I don't think 620 is out yet?????

You may be right.  I see on the website it takes weeks to ship.  But, I thought I saw it at my LRS the last time I was there but I could be wrong.  I was shopping for something else and wasn't really looking all that closely.

Edited to add: From comments on Amazon, it looks like it'll ship in early November.  Too late for my purposes.  Looks like I just saved myself a little money.

wait, you can break the 610 by running in the rain? Bummer. Not impressed...

Bumping to see if anyone bought the 620 or knows anyone who has.  After breaking my 610 by running in the rain yesterday, I find myself contemplating the purchase of a new Garmin to get me through November 3rd.  I'm not happy about the price and the idea of being an early adopter.  I am curious about my vertical oscillation, though.  Decisions, decisions.

TJoseph

You could send the 610 in for repair.  I thought the 610 was supposed to be waterproof enough for the rain.  I am glad I bought the 910 instead, as I run in the rain a lot when I am travelling.

I shower with the garmin on, maybe I should stop that.

Julia1971

I think it is waterproof/resistant.  I'm not sure how the water got under the cover but once it did, the touchscreen wouldn't work.  It still recorded my run and I could still run with it - the stopwatch/GPS still "works".  I just can't move the screen off the watch to the training pages.

You could send the 610 in for repair.  I thought the 610 was supposed to be waterproof enough for the rain.  I am glad I bought the 910 instead, as I run in the rain a lot when I am travelling.

I filled out the form and am waiting to hear back from them.  In the meanwhile, I can use my old 610.  I retired it because it likes to lose satellites mid-run.  But, I kept it around just in case.

Edited to add: They're sending me a new one!  I just need to send the broken one in.  And, they should be able to get it to me in 2 weeks.  Hooray!

Julia1971

wait, you can break the 610 by running in the rain? Bummer. Not impressed...

I think my problem may be a fluke.  This is my second 610.  I ran in all kinds of conditions with my first and never had a water problem.  I think it died of old age and abuse.  Edited to add: Technically, it's not dead.  It just does weird things now and again so I can't depend on it for long runs and races.  It still works about 90% of the time.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, according to DC Rainmaker:

the Garmin Forerunner 610 is actually only waterproofed to IPX7 standards.  This means that it can be submerged in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

That should be more than enough to handle rain, but my old 305 was also IPX7 rated and it was sketchy in both rain, and sweat (which ending up getting in the little speaker holes on the back and killing sound).

That's why my goto recommendation is the 310XT b/c it's 50m waterproof and also because it has buttons.  I like buttons.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

kcam

Yeah, according to DC Rainmaker:

the Garmin Forerunner 610 is actually only waterproofed to IPX7 standards.  This means that it can be submerged in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

That should be more than enough to handle rain, but my old 305 was also IPX7 rated and it was sketchy in both rain, and sweat (which ending up getting in the little speaker holes on the back and killing sound).

That's why my goto recommendation is the 310XT b/c it's 50m waterproof and also because it has buttons.  I like buttons.

Yep.  I ruined a 305 or two in the rain. I have the back of my current 205 scotch-taped to block those holes from sweat/water and it's still humming along nicely after at least 3 years now.   Those 620's are showing around $450  and the 220 at $300 right now.  It's hard to beat the price/functionality point of the 310XT at the current price of $169.95.

JCMasterRunner

Hi All,

Thinking about two options:

Getting the 210 and the footpod right now - which will be about $250 dollars OR

Wait and get the 220.

My needs: I do indoor and outdoor training so I would like to track both. I run about 10-18 miles per week and would like to increase this to 30.

My concerns: Not sure how accurate the 220's accelerometer will be versus the footpod? Any thoughts

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would wait for the 220, assuming that the new charging clip dealie is an improvement.  It can't possibly be worse than the 210.  I LOATHE the charging clip for this.  I've never had so many issue with a Garmin device prior to this thing (2 305s and an Edge 500).  I'm actually hoping that it doesn't last me much more than a year, so I can replace it with the 220.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

joescott

Footpod will be slightly more accurate than the on-board accel. on the 220.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

JCMasterRunner

Footpod will be slightly more accurate than the on-board accel. on the 220.

Why do you think so? I'm new to the running world and even $250 is a huge investment for me..