why does it get harder, not easier? (Read 1136 times)

aliwonderland

I ran for 25 minutes at 6.0mph on a treadmill last Friday. It felt fine. I repeated this on Sunday and my legs were dying after about 15 minutes (I didn't work out on Saturday). Monday I did mostly weight training, then ran again on the treadmill for about 22 minutes before I had to stop. Why does the running get more difficult, not easier? I'm supposed to run 4.2 miles on Sept 11 and I'm afraid my progress is going to keep going backwards. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

From what I've learned on RA, I think you need to SLOW DOWN. It shouldn't feel so hard. Once you slow down, you will be able to run farther. Then the speed will follow naturally.
      xor

1. If possible, do some of your runs outside. It's a big point of contention regarding whether treadmill running is "harder" or "easier" than outside-running. Some people go one way, some the other. But it may SEEM harder, especially if the area where the treadmill has poor airflow. Easy to get overheated. Run outisde! More fun! And I bet your 9/11 thing is outside, though I don't know. 2. If you must run on the treadmill, slow down and definitely set the incline to 1.0 or 1.5. Running with a treadmill's incline at 0 can mess with your stride. 3. Don't make all of your runs exactly the same. Make some longer, some shorter. Some faster, some slower. Point being, change it up some. 4. EAT. One key reason why people poop out on a run is that they've taken up running at the same time as they've decided to crash diet. I have no idea whether this is you... even if it isn't, though, consider your food. When I have a bad day, 8 times out of 10, I can trace it back to nutrition. 5. MOST IMPORTANTLY... accept that progress does not come in a straight line. Some days are better than others. Perhaps last friday was a magically good day. Don't base everything on that. Some days you will feel like you are regressing. The 4.2 mile run on 9/11... you might find a training plan to get you ready for it. A beginner's 5k plan (5k=3.1) would be a good start, although frankly 9/11 is getting pretty close. 25 minutes at 6.0 on the treadmill is 2.5 miles. Not bad, but not much time left either.

A Saucy Wench

Try slowing down ...with a 4.2 coming up you should slow down until you can complete the distance. Then go from there. And like srlopez says, mix it up, somedays go farther, somedays go shorter...

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It's because you're not listening to your body but following some bogus numbers. You are now straining, not training.

Menace to Sobriety

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY... accept that progress does not come in a straight line. Some days are better than others. Perhaps last friday was a magically good day. Don't base everything on that. Some days you will feel like you are regressing.
              You've hit it here. There are lots of variable that go into having a good or bad run. Some are obvious, some not. Sometimes its stress at work, family stuff, lack of sleep, over training, under training, what you ate or drank, what you didn't eat or drink. It all factors in to how you're going to feel on a run. Think of it like investing in the stock market. There are lots of short term ups and downs, but in the long term, the trend is always up.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

monikam

Slow down.. Period. You are now running faster than your body is comfortable with and your body is trying to tell you that. Next time you get on the TM try setting it up at 5mph and see how long you can run at that.. My guess is much longer than you think. Also, try varying the length of your runs. One day run shorter, another day run longer and try to go outside to run too.. Outside running, although harder at first, will give you a nice boost in running performance over time.
                Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon - Sep 28
                  Everyone is saying it and I think everyone is right.......it sounds to me like you are trying to run too fast. Best is to slow down and run longer - its a lot more fun too-------- As far ss treadmill running - Srlopez summed it up pretty well........I personally think that treadmill running is great for days that you can't go outside....but on days like today while its POURING RAIN OUT - Treadmills are great. The one thing I do like about treadmills are that I can run on them and not feel any pounding on my legs like on the pavement, so I do run on them sometimes for recovery runs or on really really really bad weather days...... I know people that run better that I do and never run on a road -- always on a treadmill......so its really all about how you feel about it...

Champions are made when no one is watching