Last week before 1/2M (Read 703 times)

Giants Fan

I have a question for all of you oh so knowledgeable runners. Its my last week before my 1/2 Marathon. I took an advanced training schedule (I'm hoping to finish under a certain time). My schedule calls for this for the rest of the week: Tues.: 6 miles Wed.: 5 miles Thurs.: 8 miles Fri.: 5 miles Sat.: 3 miles Sun. RACE DAY Here's my question...just talked with another runner who is taking from Wed. on off because running the mileage will hurt you on race day. Is my schedule overzealous? or do I follow what I've been using for 12 weeks? I would appreciate any input. Thanks! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

JakeKnight

Tapering is enormously over-rated, in my opinion. At least for normal runners. Elites may be a different story, but I think most average-joe marathoners and halfers taper way, way too much and just lose fitness in the last weeks before a race. I've long suspected this so I just tested it. After a 42 mile training run 3 weeks ago and a brutal marathon 2 weeks ago, I actually ran - really ran - the week before another marathon. I set a 2 mile PR on Sunday, I did hard intervals (Yasso 800s) on Monday, ran a pretty decent hill workout on Wednesday (and accidentally beat a mile PR on a downhill), and even ran at race pace for a couple miles on Thursday. And set a 4 minute PR on Saturday. None of the above is necessarily recommended, but I don't think I'll be doing any more perfect 3 week tapers. I'd ignore the other runner. Follow the training plan. It's worked thus far. Go easy this week. Be careful. But run if you want. Maybe all easy runs with a few pick-me-ups or striders in the middle. Your training looks damn near perfect to my barely-educated eyes. What's your goal?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Giants Fan

Thanks for the compliment on training! I've worked my backside off to follow it. My goal is 1:35. It'll be my largest race thus far with 5,762 people (probably looks small to others) so I'm a little worried on what that'll be like...especially since part of it is on a bike trail? And that is the part that both the 1/2 and full marathoners go on together. Good advice on the don't push it part...I think running them easily would be good. Thanks for the advice! CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

The only things that I would say would be: maybe shorten your 8 miles to 6 miles, it seems like you take a little bit of recovery after an 8+. But mainly, just don't set any of your workouts in stone. If you don't feel quite right one day or need a day off or even add an extra mile feel free. I agree with Jake that elites probably benefit more from taper, but I believe if you body is ready fitness wise with no taper you could get a 4 minute PR. With taper you could maybe get 5 or eek out 6 if you are really lucky over a marathon. Fitness is the key to a PR not taper. Finally where I think taper would help the most is if you were actually racing against someone. We "Average Joes" usually try to "race" at a even perceived effort/pace. If you are racing against someone you might want to tear up a hill to try to lose them. To do that fresher legs would help IMO. Hopefully that all makes sense, I tend to ramble. Undecided
            I'm no expert... but I think I will try to liven up the debate a bit. I am not sure there is a need to taper for a half... at least at the milage I have run for them... however... there is something to be said for 2 days of rest and what it does for the body. If I were training for a half I would take 2 days off... thurs, friday ... run 2 easy miles the day before (sat)... The thing is.. in my opinion... you are not going to gain anything in the last 3 days before a race... and you aren't going to loose much either (unless you run too fast or too long and you don't recover in time)... however... I have found 2 days rest really freshens me up. plus you really haven't rested much at all... I don't see it as a taper... as much as making sure you are in top condition for the race. Giving your body a couple days to be fully rested and recovered.

A Saucy Wench

If I had to choose between over taper and under taper I'd choose under. Definitely taking wed-Sat off would leave me with legs of brick and a gut to match. I'd stick with your schedule or at most back off Thursday or Friday a bit. If I were to take a total day off I would take off friday. Good Luck! Will be looking for that race report Monday!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

I agree that you really don't need much of a taper for a half. I just ran a half Sunday. I like consistency. I run 5 days a week ... I ran 5 days including the race last week. I reduced mileage some, and other than some strides during the week I treated the race as speed work. You can check my log for more details if you wish. What I did must have some merit ... I PR'd by three minutes. The only thing I would change, as mentioned in a previous post, is to reduce that 8 miler a couple of miles. Other than that, your log shows you are well trained. You'll be OK putting those miles in race week. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

Agree with the above. You are feeling good the last week keep the miles just go real easy the last 2-3 days. If you take a day off, do it Friday not Saturday. You need the blood volume from Saturday's run.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Tapering is enormously over-rated, in my opinion. At least for normal runners. Elites may be a different story, but I think most average-joe marathoners and halfers taper way, way too much and just lose fitness in the last weeks before a race.
                    agree, Agree, AGREE!
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Tapering is about mental preparation, giving yourself the extra time to organize your last thoughts, meals, shoe choices, clothing for the race, you should check the weather and make adjustments for it like gloves if its going to be cold. If you already well seasoned and prepared runner, then most of this is second nature and tapering becomes less of an issue. You don't run 20 minutes worse on race day, but it is hard to get those extra 5 minutes under if everything isn't just right!

Giants Fan

Ok, did my 6 yesterday (felt great) then did a slow recovery today of just 5 miles. Am seriously thinking of moving tomorrow's 8 to 6.5. Considering taking Fri. off (if I take a day off) and was planning on doing an easy 3 Sat. Pretty much gotten everything I need for race day ready....just matter of packing and heading out Sat. Thanks for all the advice. I really feel so much more ready for this 1/2 M as compared to last year's (which was also my first). Thanks again!!! Wish me luck! CC

Charles Schulz

Double IPA Please!

With my last race I followed the advice of people here (mainly Tchuck) and I did not taper- it was only 10 but still- it was also my first race of that length. It worked out fine for me, had I tapered to hard I know it would of been a detriment. Having said that, what I did do wrong was push too hard that week- lesson learned. EASY runs mean EASY runs.. Good luck!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)