Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

cpresson

Wow, it sounds like you are doing pretty well already! That is awesome Smile I would hope in a couple of weeks you're doing even better, but I just can't imagine you would be ready to do a whole lot even then...

I went to a race Saturday night that I had signed up to run a few months back with a friend. Since I couldn't run it, she got another friend to take my bib and run it for me. Several people from my running club were also there running the race. It was so nice--sunny and in the 50's. Even though I couldn't run it, it was sooooo amazing just being there cheering my friends on, and being outside in such nice weather.

This morning I'm planning to call the doctor's office and see if I can get an update about the insurance coverage for the surgery. I had a dream last night that insurance came back and said they wouldn't cover it and then the doc gave me a quote of $65,000. I really hope that's not how it goes down--lol.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

What a terrible dream! I dreamed that they didn't send me home with crutches after the surgery and my old pain was still there. I was like, "Well that was for nothing." lol

Let us know if you hear anything!

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

dallison

registered pw

As others have said, DO NOT RUSH IT.

I am almost 1 year post op and so far so good. I had run a trail half last month and did very well. I dropped almost 12 minutes from 2 years ago to run a 1:47 on snow and in mud. I didn't place but i came close.

I have been running faster and it has been easier for me. I have been routinely running around 7-8 m/m paces and it feels good. I have a 10 mile race in less than two weeks and feel very strong. I am even looking at running a 50k next month as long as all holds up in the next 3-4 weeks.

I do have some aches in my hip. But, the aches are getting incrementally less week by week. It's just smart training and paying attention to my body.

The aches are not troublesome or even slow me down, but it does show that this surgery will take a while to recover 100%. My goals for this year are to run another sub 19:30 5k, and a sub 1:30 half.

One of the most important things for my recovery was the pre-hab. I really made sure i was strong and on top of my game as possible before surgery. I had even run a 10 miler 3 days before surgery.

I was running again in about 2.5 months but much slower. I ran a  one mile race at 3.5 months post op and ran a  6:03. Slower for me, but i was out with my peers.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

cpresson

I talked to insurance yesterday and they said I should hear something back by Friday. Meanwhile, I've gotten a cost estimate for the surgeon, anesthesia, and surgery center costs if insurance doesn't cover the surgery. Looks to be about $13,000 total. I'm hoping to get surgery scheduled by the end of  this week.

But I'm a little concerned about my left hip now. When I saw the surgeon, he said that when he read the MRI, he thought I also had a labral tear in my left hip and when he did the exam, he noted impingement in the left hip as well as the right. I kind of dismissed that at the time, because my right hip was where all of the pain had been. But the left hip has been popping a lot and I experienced some twinges of pain in the left hip yesterday that have me really worried. I have no idea what to do about it, if that hip starts bothering me like the right one now (and that pain is continuing to worsen even though I'm only doing minor PT-type of workouts twice a week now).

Just freaking out a little bit Sad

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I talked to insurance yesterday and they said I should hear something back by Friday. Meanwhile, I've gotten a cost estimate for the surgeon, anesthesia, and surgery center costs if insurance doesn't cover the surgery. Looks to be about $13,000 total. I'm hoping to get surgery scheduled by the end of  this week.

But I'm a little concerned about my left hip now. When I saw the surgeon, he said that when he read the MRI, he thought I also had a labral tear in my left hip and when he did the exam, he noted impingement in the left hip as well as the right. I kind of dismissed that at the time, because my right hip was where all of the pain had been. But the left hip has been popping a lot and I experienced some twinges of pain in the left hip yesterday that have me really worried. I have no idea what to do about it, if that hip starts bothering me like the right one now (and that pain is continuing to worsen even though I'm only doing minor PT-type of workouts twice a week now).

Just freaking out a little bit Sad

Holy crap 13k. I really hope the insurance approves it!

About 2-3 weeks before surgery, my left hip (the good one) started doing clicky crap and I was getting some faint groin pain. But I was also compensating heavily with that leg. Now, after surgery, it's fine. No pain. Every once in a while it clicks. I suspect one day I will have to have it fixed, but I'm hoping it's far off from now. Don't worry! But if you are having pain on both sides and your surgeon is willing to do bilateral labral repair, definitely do it! You will probably have to ask the insurance to approve again, though.

cpresson

How's recovery going, stfuandrun?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Pretty good. I am doing 10 minutes on the bike with no resistance, slowly of course. I am walking without a limp most of the time. My pain is minimal most of the time. I see the doctor again next Monday and will get the rx for physical therapy. I am so ready for it. lol

Any word from insurance?

cpresson

That's awesome. I bet you are ready for therapy Smile

No word from insurance yet, other than on Monday my case was sent from a nurse to a doctor to make a decision (I called for status). I guess usually a nurse would make the call, but maybe my case is too complicated :S And supposedly my case was expedited, but I haven't heard anything, so whatever. I'm so impatient but trying to be calm while the pain continues to grow...

cpresson

OK, so stuff happened today.

First, I got a call from Anthem saying that my surgery pre-certification was denied on the grounds that the surgery is experimental and investigative and that they didn't have any clinical information indicating that I had tried any conservative treatment. The doctor's office told me that they did have information in the clinical notes sent to Anthem indicating that I had been on modified activity since my surgery in November, been taking Meloxicam daily since then, and been in therapy after that surgery up until I received a diagnosis of torn labrum and FAI from the MR Arthrogram results. So Anthem suggested having my surgeon initiate a Peer To Peer Review with them (basically a phone call between my surgeon and an Anthem doc to review my case). If that fails, we can appeal, as long as it's within 10 business days of yesterday (official date of the pre-certification decision). The surgeon should be initiating that call early next week (he's out tomorrow).

Meanwhile, they've scheduled me for surgery on April 28, which gives us plenty of time for appeals and prep. And if that fails, we go the "pay out of pocket" route.

So I'm relieved to have a date finally, but I am not looking forward to another month of increasing pain.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Ugh, so kind of good and bad news. At least there is a date now!

cpresson

That is true--and a big source of relief. Now I've got to get documentation together for my employer and the military on the recovery period and otherwise get prepared for surgery. I've got a few things to order from Amazon, some meals to freeze, and lots of school work to get ahead on. The first full week after surgery is the last week of an online Epidemiology class I am taking and I'd like to be pretty much finished with all of the major work before surgery. Also my dad is coming to visit a week after surgery (I haven't told him about it yet).

I was reading some interesting information during lunch today for my class related to the importance of Vitamin D for orthopedic patients and recovery from procedures. Several studies done on different types of orthopedic patients have concluded that the majority of them are either deficient in Vitamin D or have an insufficient level of Vitamin D. One study even suggested that orthopedic patients should take 50,000 IUs of Vitamin D for eight weeks prior to surgery to allow for best recovery. I think I may bump up my Vitamin D supplementation until surgery. My PCP has made the comment before than everyone living north of Atlanta should be taking Vitamin D supplements. Interesting, eh?

stfuandrun, any fun/interesting stories of recovery to share with us? Are things still going well?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

That is interesting and makes sense, particularly with the work they do on the bone while they are in there. I would be interested to see a study comparing incidence of femoral neck fracture post op compared to vitamin D levels.

Recovery is going well. The only big thing that happened that I saw as a set back was my first ride on the bike. I was in a world of pain complete with swelling the next day but I think my seat wasn't high enough and I didn't go slow enough. Since then, I have worked my way up to 15 minutes at a time on the bike with no resistance at 5 minute increments, a higher seat, and varied in speed depending on how I am feeling. So far so good. I have also been going for short walks around the block the last couple of nights.

As a nurse, I must tell you, make sure you have stool softeners and some milk of magnesia on hand for after. Those opiates really bind you up! lol

I was fortunate that my surgery date was in between classes. I just picked back up on school this week. Of course, I will be going back to work soon so I will have to juggle school, work, and therapy. It's not going to be fun!

shu_runner

Question for the recovered:

Did anyone have to deal with scar tissue buildup during the healing process?  My husband thought he was doing well, but at his last follow up, the surgeon said his range of motion wasn't where he would hope to see it at this point.  The surgeon suspected scar tissue was building up, and that he (husband) would need to work to break it up.  This is causing him quite a bit of pain, so much so that his strengthening has taken a back seat.  If you did have scar tissue, was it painful to work out?  He has his PT appt in a few days, but I figured I would pop in here and ask for now.  I'm totally clueless in this area, unfortunately.  Thanks!

Hip Redux

I didn't have issue with scar tissue but there were a few times where I had broken up some tissue (supposedly) and it felt like a wicked painful cracking in the joint.     I did notice a dramatic improvement in my range of motion after I started going back to my massage therapist (about 3 weeks post-op) so maybe that would help some?

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I have read that some people have to have revisions to remove the scar tissue. I am totally terrified of it. lol