Is it a tempo run if you stop 6 times? (Read 639 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I did my first tempo run in about 6 years today, and man was I sucking wind! Dead I had to stop like 6 times to get my breath back -- it was more like an un-fun fartlek or something. Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You could call it intervals Big grin
        You have to get to the breaking point, not past it. You shouldn't feel like stopping during a tempo, if so back it off a bit. I race duathlons (run-bike-run), and the first run is a tempo. You have to run fast but comfortable so that you can complete the other two disciplines. It is the same for a tempo workout. Build up to a pace that you can handle without any oxygen debt, this is generally 15-30 seconds/mile slower than you would race depending on your current running pace. Your workout was definately intervals. Good luck!
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You have to get to the breaking point, not past it. You shouldn't feel like stopping during a tempo, if so back it off a bit.
          Thanks. My comment was meant more tongue-in-cheek, but you're absolutely right -- a tempo run should be at a pace you can sustain, and I overestimated what I can sustain at this time.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.