Adapting to higher levels of stability/control...? (Read 822 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did anyone else find it took some getting used to? I have purchased a pair of moderate stability trainers (Mizuno Wave Inspire 4) to use for my longer runs, as I have been battling some knee problems in the last few months that I am attributing in part to wearing very minimal, low-stability performance trainers (NB 903)...shoes that are intended more for speedwork and shorter distances (though there are some who can wear them for long distances...I'm starting to think I'm not one of them). I initially went to the NB 900 series shoes last Fall when I discovered that the increased flexibility of them solved some peroneal tendonitis issues on the outside arch areas of my feet. While the Mizuno Inspires are about the most flexible and lightweight moderate stability shoe available, they still feel pretty stiff, clunky, and unyielding. My outer arches are pretty sore after my first run in them...but I am hoping that I simply need to re-adapt to a more controlling shoe. Somebody tell me that this is the case. My feet really miss my NBs, but I think my knees already prefer the Mizunos...*sigh*...kinda feel like I'm exchanging one problem for another. On a separate rant, why do companies insist upon excessive decorations and aggressive seams (there is a particularly annoying one running along the medial midfoot of the Mizunos--gonna need Body Glide on my feet for my next run)? One thing I absolutely love about NB is the "phantom liner" and seamless construction they have incorporated into so many of their shoes. Other companies could definitely learn a thing or two from them.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Is the pain on the outsdie edge of your foot? That's where I first got it when I first started running in Mizuno Alchemys. I switched them out for the Inspires and it was much less. I then got used to the shoe and that pain went away and has never come back. Try them for a few more runs to see if that's the case for you.

The young Mama Bear!

I'm just a newbie, but I went from a neutral (and wrong shoe for my foot - an NB) to a motion control shoe that's like a pair of bricks but helps I guess. It does take some getting used to...your foot is not used to be "corrected" and your arches may hurt for a few jogs like mine did. I still don't think these shoes are right for my feet, but it does take some getting used to. All shoes for overpronation are going to tend to be clunky. It's unfortunate but that's what you pay for needing some sort of density foam right on the arch. Dead Hard time finding the right shoes, eh Zoom?
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
          Now that I have started upping my mileage, shoes that I have run hundreds of miles in (on my fifth pair of Kayano 12),are causing me foot problems. Lots of little end of toe blisters and more bruised toenails. So off I go ,after almost two years of running and lots of different shoes bought on my own, to be professionally fitted. I came home with a pair of Brooks Dyad 5 in 8.5D. I usually wear 8. I ran 34 miles in them and started getting terrible pain in my left arch. I thought I was on the way to PF. So back to the store I go and after trying on some Sauconys (too tight) and different Acisc, I settled on Brooks Radius 7, 8D. Since my feet are all messed up from the first disaster, it is really hard to know if these feel good. I did a 4 mile run in them and they seemed nice and cushy, but that is not 18 or 20 miles. The fitter felt since my feet were so used to stability shoes, even though he sees me as a neutral runner, he didn't want to mess around with what my feet are used to with my marathon in October. So I know what you are going through with your shoe saga. Every shoe I buy seems to cause me one problem or another and I too wondered if I just had to run through it till my feet adapted.
          ymmv

Now that I have started upping my mileage, shoes that I have run hundreds of miles in (on my fifth pair of Kayano 12),are causing me foot problems. Lots of little end of toe blisters and more bruised toenails. So off I go ,after almost two years of running and lots of different shoes bought on my own, to be professionally fitted. I came home with a pair of Brooks Dyad 5 in 8.5D. I usually wear 8. I ran 34 miles in them and started getting terrible pain in my left arch. I thought I was on the way to PF. So back to the store I go and after trying on some Sauconys (too tight) and different Acisc, I settled on Brooks Radius 7, 8D. Since my feet are all messed up from the first disaster, it is really hard to know if these feel good. I did a 4 mile run in them and they seemed nice and cushy, but that is not 18 or 20 miles. The fitter felt since my feet were so used to stability shoes, even though he sees me as a neutral runner, he didn't want to mess around with what my feet are used to with my marathon in October. So I know what you are going through with your shoe saga. Every shoe I buy seems to cause me one problem or another and I too wondered if I just had to run through it till my feet adapted.
            i usually wear kayanos. when i first upped my mileage, i needed to up the size another 1/2 to account for my feet 'growing' during long runs. my shoe size is 10 but my kayanos are 11. that took care of the bruised little toenails.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is the pain on the outsdie edge of your foot? That's where I first got it when I first started running in Mizuno Alchemys. I switched them out for the Inspires and it was much less. I then got used to the shoe and that pain went away and has never come back. Try them for a few more runs to see if that's the case for you.
              Yep...outside of my feet. I had issues over a year ago with peroneal tendonitis and this is similar...so hopefully I don't have to deal with that again. This feels almost a bit more muscular. My feet are so used to flexing, but the new shoes prevent that a lot compared to what I have been wearing. I think it's probably a matter of adapting, but it sure is annoying. Though if it's a choice of pissing off my feet or pissing off my knees I'd rather have the feet complaining.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hard time finding the right shoes, eh Zoom?
                Yeah...you could say that... Just finding a shoe to fit my foot is the big battle, then finding one that doesn't make some part of my body annoyed while running is the rest of it. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Though if it's a choice of pissing off my feet or pissing off my knees I'd rather have the feet complaining.
                  Man there is some truth in that!! I've been sidelined with a knee/ITBS issue for the last week and it's killing me...not the knee, but the not running. Dealing with a hurt foot has always been easier to deal with for me rather than the knee.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man there is some truth in that!! I've been sidelined with a knee/ITBS issue for the last week and it's killing me...not the knee, but the not running. Dealing with a hurt foot has always been easier to deal with for me rather than the knee.
                    I think the risk of permanent damage with knee stuff is a lot greater than with the foot, too. Knees really suck. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay