Mental Struggles (Read 209 times)

amylmw

The mental and meditative aspect of running has always fascinated me!

The way we deal with mental stressors and struggles during a tough trail run.... so I just wanted to ask everyone... What are the greatest mental struggles/thoughts you face during an ultra/ trail run?

Is it doubting yourself? What else is there?

Naw baby, i dont doubt myself during a run, or ever for that matter. 'course i'm not running quite like you guys do, right now MAYBE 20 miles a week, i'm dialing it back a little in order to spend more time in the mountains. My only real doubt is whether i can make it back home before the coffee kicks in and i need to lay waste.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The way we deal with mental stressors and struggles during a tough trail run.... so I just wanted to ask everyone... What are the greatest mental struggles/thoughts you face during an ultra/ trail run?

Do I poop here, or is there a better spot up the path; is that poison ivy?  I can never tell.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

rmcj001

Do I poop here, or is there a better spot up the path; is that poison ivy?  I can never tell.

Move west of the Rockies - you'll never worry about poison ivy again 

Ray

bhearn

Ivy, oak, choose your poison.

jfa

is that poison ivy?  I can never tell.

3 leaves and shiny,

don't use them on your hiney.

Ok, I just made that up.

As to the original question,sometimes you have to dig deep. Go way down to where your endurance and mind have never comfortably been before. Find that spot and hold on to it as long as you can.

Hope that helps.

I was running in a trail race once and we were ascending a hill with a gradient so steep, most everyone was walking/power hiking.  I think the French dude in front of me summed it up well.  The hill appeared to go on forever.

"Fuck this hill!!!" he said to no one in particular.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

I like your questions.

When I've had bad trail races, it's usually been because of a gradual accumulation of small bodily insults- another steep incline, another fall, turned ankle, bloody knee, a deep creek crossing- that begin to assume epic proportions as they mount up. It's something that slowly wears away at you.

My self-talk that helps me through has something to do with respecting the trail, slowing down for a time, accepting the gifts of the trail (the energy from the downhills, the beautiful views, the sound of the leaves crunching, twigs snapping), and trudging on. Ça ne fait rien.

SheCan

For me, mental exhaustion, like physical, builds up over time.  I have no doubts that they go hand in hand.  For just one long race, I just continue cheering myself on... I say things like "I'm a runner not a ... quiter, walker, whiner... whatever I'm doing wrong.."   Tell myself how lucky I am that I have the free time, and support system to allow me to run, that I am not running because i HAVE to, but because I get to.   Remind myself what a lucky person I am to have this incredible body that is strong enough to endure.  Sometimes I focus only on my breathing and the sounds of my footsteps, and try to keep my attention there and bring it back whenever my mind goes into whining, etc.  If I'm uncomfortable, i sometimes try to focus in on the discomfort.  If it's not a sharp pain, I try to mentally embrace the pain, and tell it that I am one with it-- try to let my body and mind fully accept it not by ignoring it-- that makes the mind even more agitated sometimes-- but by experiencing it fully while keeping the negative talk quiet.  

Sometimes after a long season or 2, all the above begin to fail me. When run after run after run is continuous mental or physical struggle, you may just need a break... and sometimes it'll take more than a week or 2, perhaps even a couple of months.  But always remember, you've built up your strength once, and you can always do it again even after a long break.  If you have given yourself sufficient healing, relaxing time, you will come back totally renewed.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JanaLamb

Nice! I love your line "I'm a runner, not a ... quitter..." I actually use that kind of thinking of, too! I think of something like, "keep running, don't quit". That's not only for running, it can apply to life challenges, too. Smile

For me, mental exhaustion, like physical, builds up over time.  I have no doubts that they go hand in hand.  For just one long race, I just continue cheering myself on... I say things like "I'm a runner not a ... quiter, walker, whiner... whatever I'm doing wrong.."   Tell myself how lucky I am that I have the free time, and support system to allow me to run, that I am not running because i HAVE to, but because I get to.   Remind myself what a lucky person I am to have this incredible body that is strong enough to endure.  Sometimes I focus only on my breathing and the sounds of my footsteps, and try to keep my attention there and bring it back whenever my mind goes into whining, etc.  If I'm uncomfortable, i sometimes try to focus in on the discomfort.  If it's not a sharp pain, I try to mentally embrace the pain, and tell it that I am one with it-- try to let my body and mind fully accept it not by ignoring it-- that makes the mind even more agitated sometimes-- but by experiencing it fully while keeping the negative talk quiet.  

Sometimes after a long season or 2, all the above begin to fail me. When run after run after run is continuous mental or physical struggle, you may just need a break... and sometimes it'll take more than a week or 2, perhaps even a couple of months.  But always remember, you've built up your strength once, and you can always do it again even after a long break.  If you have given yourself sufficient healing, relaxing time, you will come back totally renewed.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

SheCan

I actually use that kind of thinking of, too! I think of something like, "keep running, don't quit". That's not only for running, it can apply to life challenges, too. Smile

I does seem like so many of the lessons learned running are applicable to the rest of life.  Maybe that's why life is going so well for me lately!

I loved what danirizzo said also:

My self-talk that helps me through has something to do with respecting the trail, slowing down for a time, accepting the gifts of the trail (the energy from the downhills, the beautiful views, the sound of the leaves crunching, twigs snapping), and trudging on. Ça ne fait rien.

Its just such a lovely way of looking at it!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson