Tips for finding a good pair of goggles (Read 1427 times)

bjoiner

I've been wanting to get more into swimming, but after trying 5 or 6 different pairs of swim goggles I still can't find a pair that doesn't leak.  The closest I've come was a pair of speedos with some sort of "air cushioning seal" on them, but even so, after 3 or 4 laps, they would leak right at the bridge of my nose and I'd have to stop and dump them out. I can't tell if tightening them makes them better or worse. 

I realize that everyone is different in what works for them, but maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some tips on finding a good pair?  The ones I last bought felt fine in the store, so obviously there's something I should be looking for that I'm not.

jules2

How about beer goggles?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I dunno...I used to use the speedo sprint goggles and they leaked.  I think they were the cheapest pair and had the foam eye liner.  Now I use a different kind of speedo with a different kind of seal.  I have goggle eyes for an hour or so but they never leak.  They are definitely air tight but there is zero cushioning.  The same with my boys...they had the worst luck with the sprint goggles.  SOmething about the foam seal just doesn't work.

Jennifer mm#1231

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There are the swedish style and socket rockets -- almost no border around them, so you push them further into your eye sockets than regular old goggles. Some people really like those.

I wasn't such a big fan myself b/c I didn't like the feel so much.

I kind of accidentally got a pair of the kind that are joined in the middle - like a cross between traditional goggles and a face mask -- and I've really like it -- very little leakage at all.

So anyway, those are two more styles to consider trying.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I used Speedo Vanquishers in the pool.  No leaking, even when you are pushing off from the wall.  They come with different sized nose pieces so you can dial in the fit.

My wife has a small head (I'll reserve comment on the size of her brain because she trolls around on these threads from time to time).  She uses the Speedo Vanquisher made for kids.  That might be your problem - that over-the-counter goggles with a "one size fits most" concept might just not fit you.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Sandi Sue

I switch out between the speedo vanquishers and a pair of blue seventy's.  Both work well.  Blue seventys cost a little bit more but don't leave a mark under the eyes.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

I love sweedish googles, but I come from a swimming background. They can take some people some time to get adjusted.

If you can't do the sweeds, I'd definitely recommend a rubber seal over a foam seal. The rubber seal won't break down as quickly and won't as easily get damaged in your bag.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can one google goggles?
                  jayvee33

Goggles with double straps make a big difference for me.  I separate the straps an inch or two on the back of my head and it seems to secure the goggles better and distribute the pressure. ( a lot of goggles have double straps so you've probably already tried some with them)

I've had good luck with the Speedo GCG.  I don't know if it's the special gasket or if they just happen to fit my eye sockets better but I've never had problems with leaks.   They are also fairly comfortable and durable.  They come with three different size nose bridges. 

bjoiner

Can one google goggles?

I tried, but my fingers kept typing "google" out of habit.

keeponrunning

I used Speedo Vanquishers in the pool.  No leaking, even when you are pushing off from the wall.  They come with different sized nose pieces so you can dial in the fit.

My wife has a small head (I'll reserve comment on the size of her brain because she trolls around on these threads from time to time).  She uses the Speedo Vanquisher made for kids.  That might be your problem - that over-the-counter goggles with a "one size fits most" concept might just not fit you.

Any idea whether/where you can get them in Canada?

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

ymmv

xor

I'd rather google goggles than oggle... oh nevermind.

I look my best blurry!

Maybe a nose job?

JK!

Gotta TRI

I've had great luck with my aquasphere vistas.
                                2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon