$@!%&* iPod (Read 1222 times)

Angry OK, so after finally succumbing to the techno-pressure, and purchasing an iPod nano, I actually started using it on my runs, to the point that I got used to it and now really enjoy it. So, of course... it locks up totally, and iTunes doesn't even recognize the software anymore. I can't do a thing with it. I'm not a technology guy, so I hoping someone can (1) give me a hint how to fix this or (2) tell me to call a priest for last rites and go buy an iPod shuffle (seems easier to carry anyway.) Appreciate any help/insights.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mine will lock up from time to time. Seems to be a common issue. See if this might help remedy things. I often find that I can't get mine to shut off or that it won't respond, even though it's not locked. Nothing worse than having a song come up on the playlist that you aren't in the mood for and not being able to skip to the next song. Resetting it almost always fixes it. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

In what way is it locking up? My computer has not recognized the ipod mini before and I just reset my computer then all was well. Shuffle? Why? No display? Do not do it!!! I'd buy a refurbished nano if they had a nice clip like the mini... otherwise I'm going to be sticking with buying a used mini if mine every gives up the ghost.

Vim

You must be doing something wrong. Everyone knows that Apple hardware and software is without flaws. Wink

Runners run

You must be doing something wrong. Everyone knows that Apple hardware and software is without flaws.
            This is true, Mikey. They call it a feature. I believe it is called the "Please do not change the song or volume or turn off the iPod" feature. My son gets to experience this feature once every week or two. Thanks for the info on the reset, Zoomy. When plugging it in to the charger doesn't work, my son has been letting his iPod battery run out - he will be very happy to try the reset thingy.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

How old is your iPOD? If you bought it at one of the big retail stores (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc...) if it is within 90 days, just take it back and exchange it. I have had to exchange two of them. Heck, when I get to around 80 days or so, I might take my new one back and get it exchanged. Big grin Shocked .
                This just happened to me last night. I updated the software release of iTunes and when I did this it recognized the iPod and downloaded the updated release to the iPod. Try starting with this link. There are sub-links in this article that may also help. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61711
                ---- Cynthia
                  Thanks for the replies and info, everyone. I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm on the road this week and didn't bring my iPod (for obvious reasons), so I will try resetting it and restart my computer as well when I get home. I'll let you know if it works out. In the meantime, I've gotta say that being iPodless is not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm in Washington DC this week, where I lived in the late 90's. I'm reliving some of my old running routes, and enjoying becoming reacquainted with my surroundings. Cheers

Well, I checked the troubleshooting instructions and rebooted/reset everything, and I'm back in business! Thanks again for the advice.

My iPod locked up this morning. Ready for 5 miles with a new playlist and nothing. Screen is frozen. Won't turn off. I'll need to reset tonight.
                      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                        That happened to me one day at the gym. Usually if you manually reset it (on the Nano, you do this by toggling the Hold button and then simultaneously holding down the Menu button and Select button (middle circle) for 5-10 seconds until the apple logo comes up), it will work fine after that.
                        ---- Cynthia
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

They are timed to shut down right around new Apple announcements...there will likely be some cool news today!

Imminent Catastrophe

This just in... New iPod nano with video, games, 320 x 240 pixel screen, 24 hrs playback with audio, 5 hrs with video. 4GB $149, 8GB $199. iPod, now called "iPod classic" , all-metal, still with click wheel and 80 or 160 GB. And now, introducing the "iPod touch"--like the iPhone, touchscreen, wi-fi, calendar, contacts and Safari. You can preview and buy tunes with it. Only 8GB and 16GB? What's up with that? Oh, because it's flash storage. $$$$$. MUST....HAVE....IPOD.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Good thing I did not buy 2nd gen IPOD nano! OH MY... have to get dimensions of the itouch!

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And now, introducing the "iPod touch"--like the iPhone, touchscreen, wi-fi, calendar, contacts and Safari.
                                *faints* Safari?! OMG, I could use that to get on RA.... Eh, it would be cool, but I'd rather get a Garmin. My Nano works just fine for my needs. Heck, I think I would have been happy with a 2nd gen. Shuffle 99% of the time. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay