Wearing a night splint... (Read 49 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I have been struggling with PF for close to five months. It's not the type of pain that is like having a nail driven into your heel or arch, it's not even pain at all, it's just there. It is more of an annoyance than anything and I want it gone. I have done (and still do) the golf ball rolling, frozen bottle rolling, reduce mileage, avoid hills, eccentric calf drop stretch, etc... It still lingers. I thought it was gone for good until I ran a marathon one month ago.  Now I have a night splint. I tried it last night for the first time and had to take it off after an hour. It was not physically uncomfortable but at some point, I HAD to move my foot. I have have never had an anxiety attack in my life, but I felt like I was bordering on one.  It also felt like claustrophobia. Like I said, I just HAD to move my foot.

Have you ever had this? Do I have to ease into wearing the splint? I thought I could wear it during the day while I read or watch some tv. Think what you want, but I am not insane. I always thought wearing one of these things would be a physical problem and not a mental one.  Any tips or advice from experienced users?

Thanks in advance.

Half Fanatic #846

I've had chronic PF, "tried everything", hated the splint, and none of it worked for me.  As I recall, I could move around a little with the splint on, but it did take getting used to. Have you tried doing a little easy barefoot running? I did out of desperation, and over a few weeks period, that's what really helped me - strengthened my feet and legs more I think.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

bap

I have been struggling with PF for close to five months. It's not the type of pain that is like having a nail driven into your heel or arch, it's not even pain at all, it's just there. It is more of an annoyance than anything and I want it gone. I have done (and still do) the golf ball rolling, frozen bottle rolling, reduce mileage, avoid hills, eccentric calf drop stretch, etc... It still lingers. I thought it was gone for good until I ran a marathon one month ago.  Now I have a night splint. I tried it last night for the first time and had to take it off after an hour. It was not physically uncomfortable but at some point, I HAD to move my foot. I have have never had an anxiety attack in my life, but I felt like I was bordering on one.  It also felt like claustrophobia. Like I said, I just HAD to move my foot.

Have you ever had this? Do I have to ease into wearing the splint? I thought I could wear it during the day while I read or watch some tv. Think what you want, but I am not insane. I always thought wearing one of these things would be a physical problem and not a mental one.  Any tips or advice from experienced users?

Thanks in advance.

I've just had Platelet Rich-Plasma Therapy for PF after suffering it for over a year. It's too early to know if it's going to work but it's supposed to have a very high success rate.

I tried all the same things as you. I barely ran in December and January. My podiatrist has been taping my foot a couple of times a week but it didn't resolve it.

The first few times I wore the boot I would lie there awake for 30 minutes then angrily ripped it off. After a few nights I could fall asleep for a few hours, at which point I'd wake up an angrily rip it off. Now I love it so much that I've proposed to it and we're planning to make baby booties together.

I think a reputable chiropractor, physical therapist or sports med doc would be a good start. I don't like going to a podiatrist as a first resort because they seem over-keen to prescribe orthotics.

Certified Running Coach
        Crocked since 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

brerfootbill: I will try a bit of barefoot running. There is a good field by us so I can use that.

bap: Taping is one thing I have not tried. Like I said, I can tolerate it and it's more of an annoyance than anything. I can only hope I get used to the splint. Even after wearing it just an hour, the bottom of my foot felt a bit different. If I can tolerate for a week, that could make a big difference.