January Bike Trainer Sessions (Read 880 times)

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

We have a swimming topic, now let's talk bike training. I am in MA, and it's cold and snowy outside. I have a trainer and a basement. First question: Should I set up my road bike, or my cool tri-bike? Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

The voice of mile 18

tribike on the trainer and use the road bike to go get movies,ect.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

VictorN

It depends on the workout. If I'm just putting in low HR time on the trainer, I'll use a road bike. If I'm doing anything a little more aggressive, then I'll use my tri bike. If you do use your road bike, make sure you occasionally throw your tri bike on it once or twice a week so your body doesn't forget what it is like to ride a tri bike. Victor
        TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

... If you do use your road bike, make sure you occasionally throw your tri bike on it once or twice a week so your body doesn't forget what it is like to ride a tri bike. Victor
          That's what I was thinking, body position. It didn't occur to me to use both. Doh. Craig

Can someone recommend a good bike trainer (links)? I've never used one, but wouldn't mind doing it offseason (I'm new to biking, too). Also, are they 'apartment friendly'? I mean, do they make enough noise to piss off a neighbor. Thanks
            TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

red, Maybe a neighbor down below. I'd go high level on this one. All people with good Cycleops love them. $250?

fxdgear

1upusa.com The most quiet trainer there is..and built like a tank. Uses a friction plate instead of fluid.
                Cashmason

Fluid trainers are more quiet than magnetic or fan trainers. The cycle ops 2 seems to be very popular, but like the Pro says around 250 dollars. The noisier ones are cheaper. Notes: Trainers can chew up the rubber on your back tire. You can wind up with little black specs on your floor and wall behind the bike. Many people buy an el cheapo tire and put it on the back wheel over the winter months and switch back to their normal tire when the ride outdoors again. A rug under the trainer can make it a bit less noisy for the neighbors. You can buy a plastic wheel stand or use a block of wood or old phone book to make your front tire level with the back. You can buy training DVD's to put on your tv while you are on the trainer. A brand call Spinnervals is very popular. They simulate the bike portion of many Iron man bike routes, and I believe even Tour de France routes. They also make ones that will lead you through training sessions of intervals etc to improve your VO2 max and leg strength. You may want to lay down a towel on the ground to absorb your sweat, put a fan in front of the bike, as you will get very warm, and tape over any screws etc. Your sweat can corrode the screws on your aero bars and fork and stem.
                  waterfordrider

Team Effort

I have used rollers instead of a trainer. The biggest thing is you need to set up in a doorway because balance on rollers does not have the seem feel as on the road. The first couple of times I started I needed to three point until I got going. Shoulder on the door post, if you were wondering what the third point was. If you have a place in the basement, put your water bottles in the overhead because it is safer to reach them then from your cages. This is especially true if you have a towel on the top tube to catch sweat. All the other suggestions, fan etc. are all good.

www.runninngahead.com/groups/5000MC/forum

thanks for the advice. I don't have neighbors below, only next door and above. 250 for something that I'd probably use quite a bit isn't that bad. Or I could spend that money on warmer bike clothes.