Motivation (Read 1018 times)

It's only the second week of cross country practice, and things don't look so great for our team Cry . There are a few guys that talk openly about the fact that they think that they don't have to run through the summer and that they will still be good, even though they cannot keep up on most of our runs and continue to make excuses for when they fall behind. How do you motivate people with this attitude so that they will want to train hard for the next two months?

De-slacking in progress

I don't know about running motivation, I'm in managment- I'd just fire them !! Tell them it doesn't take any effort to be average. Or start the HTFU mantra- but keep it to your group- school would not be a good place to say that out loud

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

we really dont have anyone to replace them thats the thing

De-slacking in progress

we really dont have anyone to replace them thats the thing
          sounds like the coach has a problem then. A good coach can solve the problem

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The coach can't do anything during the summer, though, right? DS15 is trying to kick his teammates into gear - they're just finishing their recovery period, so Monday will be their first team practice. He's concerned that some of the boys will have the same attitude as you mention. A couple of them ARE very fast (one ran his second one-mile race ever in 4:29), but they tend to goof off, then overdo it at the last minute and get injured. If he has any thoughts, I'll pass them on to you. It's frustrating when you're working hard and others don't care as much.
            rockintrax

Whoever puts in the miles throughout the summer will have the best season overall. Remember that cross-country is a distance sport and if they don't put in the mileage, they won't start getting their best times until the end of season (when they are finally in shape). If you do the mileage you will come into the season in shape and be better off for it - and IT WILL SHOW. Try to run in groups if you can. Our high school coach had an optional summer running that was open to anyone; the cross-country/track teams at our high school, those that ran at high schools close by, our parents, graduates (I still go there to run sometimes) and our friends could come. It was 3 times a week at the same time and same place. People would group together by speed and you could go as long as you wanted. On hot days we would have ice cream runs - either run out to the closest ice-cream place and walk back or we would chip in and get someone to buy popsicles.
              Steph
                I have learned in the past 56 years of my life, that about the best you can usually do is to take care of yourself and let the chips fall where they will..... If you motivate yourself and keep yourself running and working at a higher level (running and in life and in your school work) maybe it will rub off on them.. If not, then you have made and kept yourself better and you can move on to bigger and better things when the time comes. IT would be a shame if your team were not very good and you were the very best on the team, but you did the work and everyone else did not, you will be better for it in the long run.

Champions are made when no one is watching

Non ducor, duco.

Congrats to you for seeing the problem early on! I think John A is right. Ultimately the only thing you can control is yourself. When I was playing sports in HS, I had some of the same issues. I made it a goal of mine to make sure that I always came to practice with the right attitude, and that I always worked harder than anyone else. You might find yourself a little isolated in the beginning if you refuse to listen to their negativity but eventually, everyone will see that your hard work is paying off and will want to follow you. Talk to your coaches and tell them you are prepared to lead and then do it. You dont have to be the fastest one to be the leader. You just have to be the one with the most heart. This could be an awesome opportunity for you if you just take it and RUN with it. Good luck, man.
                    The coach can't do anything during the summer, though, right?
                    Yeah, summer running is just voluntary

Non ducor, duco.

Yeah, summer running is just voluntary
                      I always run past a group of a guys from the HS in the summer. They meet up at the school, run, and then head to a pool nearby. Just an idea. MTA: cant type without coffee
                        Peer pressure works wonders, especial in a team situation. Relentless application of said pressure will either make them or break them depending on the individual. If they break then it's no great loss since they aren't helping the team anyway. Tom
                          I don't know about running motivation, I'm in managment- I'd just fire them !! Tell them it doesn't take any effort to be average.
                          I'm in leadership, not management. trackstar, the best thing you can do is let them know what you're doing (AND DO IT). Give them all, both the ones who're doing the training and the ones that aren't, heck, the faster girls too for your distance stuff, a standing invitation to come along. Have a standard time and place for a run that you do with whoever shows up at least once a week. Make appointments for runs in the morning before it gets hot with people, etc, etc. Like figbash said, if they start getting annoyed they'll either show up or take off, and if they're already not training, no harm done. Good luck!
                            I always run past a group of a guys from the HS in the summer. They meet up at the school, run, and then head to a pool nearby. Just an idea.
                            We do meet at the high school every day with our coach, i just meant that he cannot make us show up because it is not "real practice" yet
                              Guys don't have to show up every day to work out with the team, and shouldn't. I don't mean they shouldn't be running, but some of your runs should be on your own, at whatever pace is right for you for that workout, not what the team is doing. If you don't have the ability to run on your own, you're not going to keep running past school.
                                It's only the second week of cross country practice, and things don't look so great for our team Cry . There are a few guys that talk openly about the fact that they think that they don't have to run through the summer and that they will still be good, even though they cannot keep up on most of our runs and continue to make excuses for when they fall behind. How do you motivate people with this attitude so that they will want to train hard for the next two months?
                                Be a good example. Keep putting in the miles like you have the last couple weeks and concentrate on your own running. As far as training hard, it isn't going to do much good with no mileage base. You can overdo it too in that regard--be consistent and let go of the idea that you have to run hard all the time. A couple strong workouts a week will do as long as you run often and keep the miles up. Show them the way.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33