Early Fall colds and race-week training? (Read 625 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Grrr...I think I may have the early stages of a cold--not certain, but I just feel off, a bit sniffly, and my son has been sniffling all day. He just finished the first week back to school, so the timing would be about right for a cold virus to be making its presence known, I guess. And I typically do seem to get a cold as soon as the weather changes--just this past week it did a complete 180 (we went from temps in the mid 80s to temps in the low 60s literally overnight). How do you seasoned runners deal with a cold right before a race? I figure if I do have a mild-to-moderate cold that it will hit full-force by tomorrow or Tues. and I might feel better by Thurs. My race is on Sat. and I had planned to run Mon. through Weds. and mostly take the rest of the week off before the race. How likely is taking the entire week off in the event of a cold going to have much effect on my race performance? I would think that taking it easier with a cold would be preferable than overdoing it and still being ill for the race...right? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

How do you seasoned runners deal with a cold right before a race? I figure if I do have a mild-to-moderate cold that it will hit full-force by tomorrow or Tues. and I might feel better by Thurs. My race is on Sat. and I had planned to run Mon. through Weds. and mostly take the rest of the week off before the race. How likely is taking the entire week off in the event of a cold going to have much effect on my race performance? I would think that taking it easier with a cold would be preferable than overdoing it and still being ill for the race...right?
      I totally agree with that last sentance. I'm not a seasoned runner (just "lightly seasoned" maybe... Wink) but I've sure had my share of colds and sinus infections (heavily seasoned in that regard I guess). When I've been in your situation in the past, I usually get as much rest as I can, as early as I can. In the age of all sorts of OTC and herbal cold remedies, I'm a strong believer in the power of rest (and fluids). I think taking the entire week off training will have very little effect on your performance and will surely help you fight that cold. The only concern would be if you feel a little stiff having not run in a few days.. if that's the case, go out for a very easy run the day before your race to work out the kinks. I suspect once you get running, on race day, your aches and pains will go away (until the end of the race). Then make sure you get LOTS of good rest after the race. And bring along lots of soft kleenex! Good luck! Hope this is a false alarm and you feel better soon!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Good luck! Hope this is a false alarm and you feel better soon!
        I think it might just be that. *finger-crossed* This time of the year always brings changes in my allergies, so maybe yesterday was just a bit of that. DS also doesn't seem to be sniffling anymore. So if it was a cold, it was a VERY mild virus. I did run this AM, but it was cold (~ 50ยบ), wet, dreary...really gross. I think I'm still pretty worn out from my 2 hour run on Sat., too. That could be part of why I felt so "off," yesterday...just residuals from my run the day before, maybe. k

~ Sarah Kay

just this past week it did a complete 180 (we went from temps in the mid 80s to temps in the low 60s literally overnight).
          same here.. it's cold and has been raining non-stop all day. Sad I'm still debating if i'm going to run tonight.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

same here.. it's cold and has been raining non-stop all day. Sad I'm still debating if i'm going to run tonight.
            Do it! It's only fair after I had to run in that miserable stuff that you people on the other side of the lake sent us! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Big grin LOL! Well OK then.
                I just conducted my own scientific study and have come up with conclusive evidence that pants + heavy rain = evil Big grin
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah...I got the same results this AM and that was with light rain. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay