Stupid Me...stupid calf (Read 1352 times)

Beware, batbear...

This doesn't have anything to do with bovine.

First of all - I have a 10K race tomorrow and I'm going to run.  My calf is not so sore that I can't run.  It hurts mostly to go downhill.  I am going to run and I'm going to beat my friend TJ.  These things are givens...

However...

I was stupid and didn't do any runs in my racing shoes until this Monday.  Yeah...I know.  Now my left calf feels tight and has a knot int it.

Anybody know any quick cures for a stiff calf?  I have done a shot of bourbon and am considering taking some ibuprofen or alleve.  I don't normally take anti-inflammatory meds, but I think they might help in this case.  

Good news is, it feels looser after doing an easy run this evening.  Felt really tight after work.

Any witch doctor cures out there?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There's an asian treatment where I think you just stick needles into yourself.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Beware, batbear...

How long, thick and deep?  Do I need to slay a chicken first?

My suggestion would be to take a shot of bourbon, pop a couple of anti-inflammatory tabs and then run as fast as you must to beat your friend. 

Since the calf is already sore and you will be wearing racing shoes not completely broken in the race should injure your calf to the point of an injury.  You can then rest it for 2-3 weeks and start over with your running program.

Disclaimer:  I am not a Doctor;  However, you asked for advice and gave some background information on prior "remedies" for your malady.   Some other rational people would probably tell you to "not run" and train properly in the shoes you plan to race in before going all out. 

Your choice, my friend.

Beware, batbear...

Aw man.  I knew someone would be rational...

FWIW - The shoes are broken in, I just haven't worn them since October because I haven't been racing.  Still stupid.

My guess is that it's DOMS from wearing them.  I tend to step a lot lighter in these shoes.  

I wasn't planning on taking meds right before the race, just tonight.

xor

I honestly don't know what to tell you except to say that if you believe the shoes hurt you then DONT WEAR THE SHOES FOR THE RACE.

Beware, batbear...

SRL - I don't think the shoes hurt me, but I do tend to run more towards the forefoot in the racers and use my calves more, ergo sore calves...but, I will wear the other shoes.

Try massaging them yourself.   Here's what I do before and after every run:

http://www.betterbodz.com/team/aching.html

It works.

Trigger Point Grid.

an amazing likeness

Don't think, kid, it can only hurt the ball club.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Try massaging them yourself.   Here's what I do before and after every run:

http://www.betterbodz.com/team/aching.html

It works.

Noticed tightness in my calf recently, so interested. Thanks for posting this.

Beware, batbear...

Yeah, I grabbed a crazy medieval wooden massage stick at a garage sale recently for about 25 cents.  I've been massaging the calf every 10 minutes or so.  Hurts like hell, but I would say that my calf feels about 50% better than it did an hour and a half ago.  I think the bourbon has helped a little as well.  Seriously, not trying to get drunk, just thought that it might help relax the muscle.  

Muscle was tight and cold an hour and half ago.  Now it's warm and still a little tight, but I can knead it with my hand. 

xor

"crazy medieval wooden massage stick"

A rolling pin?

Beware, batbear...

Nope...like an 8 inch stick with grooves on it.  It was actually built for massage.  I thought it might come in handy when I bought it, but I had yet to use it 'til tonight.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sounds like it would also work to discourage overly amorous racoons.