I hope this is not a silly question (Read 296 times)

bpink76

So the weather forecast is looking very chilly for my HM this weekend.  I am planning to layer a throwaway shirt/jacket that I can ditch after the first couple miles.  The race rules require that my bib be visible at the start and finish.  How do I do this without repinning?  Or is this a rule that doesn't need to be followed to the letter?  Will my chip still work if my bib is under the jacket?

2013 Goals:

5K: 25:00

10K: 52:00

Half: 2:00:00

Maggie & Molly

how abour rolling your throwaway up over your bib for when you cross over the start line?

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

No Talent Drips

How about pinning your bib to your shorts (leg)?

Dei Gratia

FurShirtFlyer

L Train

I think most races say this but I've never had an issue having my bib under a throwaway at the start of the race.  You can just lift your shirt up and show it to someone if it's about getting in a corral or something.

Krishan Chauhan

You should buy bib belt, It will help you carry you big and other small things.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                Jill_B

I fly.

I think most races say this but I've never had an issue having my bib under a throwaway at the start of the race.  You can just lift your shirt up and show it to someone if it's about getting in a corral or something.

This is what I've always done.

And if I'm not wearing something disposable, like a jacket, I just unzip the jacket at the finish.

Bring it on.

What he said above.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                    bpink76

OK that's what I was thinking.  I had just never seen this rule before.  Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

2013 Goals:

5K: 25:00

10K: 52:00

Half: 2:00:00

bhearn

This is why, at ultras, everyone pins their bib to their shorts. (Typically folded so that only the number shows.)

This is why, at ultras, everyone pins their bib to their shorts. (Typically folded so that only the number shows.)

+1 I've rarely seen a bib pinned to a top - even in shorter races. They block the airflow. Heck, the guys in summer seldom have a top to pin anything to. (actually, one guy did pin it to his nipples in a mtn race)  We rarely have chips.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Why even wear bib#'s in ultras? Doesn't everyone know each other? And by the end isn't everyone spaced way out?

"Hey who's that person a half mile from the finish?"

"Oh, I think that's Bob! Yes, it is Bob. Go Bob, you're almost there!"

<leisurely types "Bob" into the timing laptop>

<waits>

<waits>

<waits>

<clicks the finish button as Bob crosses somewhere in the vicinity of the fish "line".>

"Yay, Bob!"

Runners run

sugnim

I was kind of hoping it would be a silly question.

You might pin your number to your shorts/pants.  For chip timing, your chip should work even if it is covered by your jacket.  Also, I wouldn't worry too much.  I doubt the race directors will be inspecting each runner for their number, and if for some reason they do, you can always show yours beneath your jacket & explain.  I think that would be reasonable given the weather.  Good luck on your race!

Will my chip still work if my bib is under the jacket?

as conjoined twins, aren't there more pressing matters to consider?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.