Feeling a Bit Discouraged (Read 1262 times)

OP: I had to take nearly a month off because of sickness for two weeks (really baaad food poisoning!) and then vaca in costa rica for two weeks. I began again as soon as I got home and boy, the first week I was sooo depressed. I had to take walk breaks, my time was off etc...Now I'm in my third week back of running consistently, and while my time isn't the best, I have improved in so many other ways. Just keep doing what you are doing, and it will get better! The other day, I felt like such crap on a 4 mile run, but I kept through it, and the past three days have yielded really great runs. I think you just have to ignore your "bad" days and focus on the good ones, because as you keep running, your good runs will outdo the bad ones! Keep it up, you'll start seeing results (not that you already haven't) and it will definitely be worth it...

Speediest Slug There Is!

Well, just thought I'd update. We ran today -- deliberately very slow, to avoid burnout like last time. I tried not to think about pace and just focus on the enjoyment of it, to remind myself why I'm doing it in the first place. It was a fun run, though very slow -- but we set a distance PR of 3.2 miles, which is, incidentally, my first time ever running the 5K distance. So I guess I have officially graduated from the C25K program. My first race ever is on July 4th. I really appreciate the encouragement here. lph53 has asked, ''Are you a quitter or a fighter?'' One thing I can personally guarantee is that I am most definitely not a quitter. I think I shall have to erect a new sig line to commemorate this day. Big grin
      Fall seven times, stand up eight.
      Goals:
      *Complete a 5K (no walking)
      Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
      *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
      *15 mpw base

50 halfs by age 50

Congrats on finishing C25K! Like everyone else has said, you will get faster if you keep putting in the steps. More distance helps with pace so maybe focusing on getting your distances in would help. I'm trying not to think about pace this summer, focusing my training instead on eliminating the R4/W2 I've done forever. I'm doing C25K now so that I can just run instead of fussing with the r/w intervals all the time. It's made me tortoise-slow, but the change in focus still allows me to see progress. Good luck on your 5K! Please feel free to come join us in the Back of the Pack group! Link is in my sig Smile Mel

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Another Passion

It was a fun run, though very slow -- but we set a distance PR of 3.2 miles, which is, incidentally, my first time ever running the 5K distance. So I guess I have officially graduated from the C25K program. My first race ever is on July 4th.
          Well done, Christy! Good luck with you first race. It will be a blast. Keep up the good work and keep at it consistently. Good things will continue to happen along the way... just don't forget to enjoy the journey and remember where you started it. Wink

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Great job on completing the 5K distance! I used to worry about how slow I am. Sometimes it still discourages me, but I try to do what all of these great people have suggested - I remember where I was before I started to run and that usually helps. Last year, I did the C25K and the OHR program. Got to where I could run for 6+miles at a time (albeit slowly). I started to worry about my time, tried to increase my speed and pushed it a few too many times. I hurt my hip. I was out for a few weeks because of that, and then I slacked off for most of the winter. I'm so bummed that I did that! I really felt discouraged when I started up again this spring. It has taken me several weeks to get up to where I can *comfortably* run 3 miles again. But I'm there now, and as long as I keep it slow and easy, I'll improve. Just like you are. Keep up the great work! Have you thought about what program you're going to try after C25K? I did OHR last year and liked it. This year I decided to do HHST because I wanted to add another day into my schedule. So far it's working out well.
            -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.