Pace bracelet (Read 2023 times)

Now here's something you don't see too often -- a FREE "gear/ wear" Surprised Neat-o!
    2009: BQ?

Marathonmanleto

doesn't like macs.
        MTA: I'm an idiot Tongue
          That is so cool! I just printed out my 5k one and a marathon one. Big grin Thanks!

Michelle

va

Check this one out. It allows you to specify a split factor (e.g., -2%, -1%, 0%, 1%, 2%,...). You can print the table too, and control the font size for example.
              There's something similar on the Runner's World site too. I have mixed emotions about pace bands. I suppose they're okay (sure, I've used them), but I sort of get a kick out of how many folks tear them off in digust usually between miles 18-23 when they realize their time goals are shot (guilty!). More and more, I find myself running by perceived effort. Typically, the pace takes care of itself. Just my $0.02. Good luck this weekend!
              mikeymike

I find myself running by perceived effort. Typically, the pace takes care of itself. Just my $0.02. Good luck this weekend!
                I agree. At mile 18 it won't matter one iota what the number on the pace pracelet says. And really, every mile? WTF?

Runners run

Scout7

That's what Garmie is for.... They even have tattoos you can get, as well. I thought that was rather entertaining.
                    I just thought it was a neat (free) tool that some people may find helpful.
                      I just thought it was a neat (free) tool that some people may find helpful.
                      Hey, I think it's neat! Big grin

Michelle

Dog-Love

I printed mine out for a marathon and forgot to wear it. After the "race"...I wrote my splits next to the ones printed on the band and found out I was actually on pace pretty much every mile until mile 16. Then it was funny to see my splits all over the place for a less than desired (4:30:00) finish.
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

I have a timex watch that lets you put in a distance and a goal time, and every time you hit the lap (either miles or kilometers depending upon how you set it up) it will tell you where you are, where you should be if you were on pace, and how far above or below the pace you are. I rarely run long races at an even pace; I plan out my strategy ahead of time based on the course and weather etc. So being able to track the trends about whether I am going up or down makes it pretty easy. Half the time I forget to look down, though, and don't really use those numbers until I'm analyzing the race after the fact.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

btb1490

I think pace bracelets help the most by keeping people from going out too fast in a marathon. Perceived effort doesn't always do a good job with that unless you are really in tune with how you run. Also, pace bracelets don't run out of batteries, aren't bothered by tall buildings and trees, don't lock up, and weigh almost nothing, and are free for the most part. Having a split every mile might be overkill, except for the first few miles until you get settled into the right pace. After that, every 5k works ok. So what pace paceband will you be wearing for Richmond, Trishie? Smile
                              I think pace bracelets help the most by keeping people from going out too fast in a marathon.
                              This is exactly why I printed one for myself (it's a 3:53 pace bracelet Big grin) .... perceived effort isn't effective for me. I'm not at the point where I can go by "how I feel." I did that at MCM and went out WAY too fast (I hit 13.1 around 1:50 and finished the marathon at 4:02). I need something to see to keep me in check. I'm not going to freak out if I'm not on target for each mile, but it will keep me around where I need to be! My $0.02 Tongue