Road ID (Read 886 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Which one did you all order?
    I have the little shoe tab. Easy to swap between rotating pairs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have the little shoe tab. Easy to swap between rotating pairs.
      Crap that's the reason I didn't get the shoe tab...figured it would be too much of a pain to swap. I got the dumb wrist one.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Crap that's the reason I didn't get the shoe tab...figured it would be too much of a pain to swap. I got the dumb wrist one.
        Nah, couldn't be easier. It's just a little velcro thingie. Love it.

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

I thought about getting one, but they seem too expensive for what they are. Am I crazy to think it would be easy to make one? I mean, even from like an airline luggage tag or something, for my shoe? I know it would tear off, but they're free, so I could just put a new one on...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Oh Mighty Wing

I love my shoe one. Makes me feel safer! Or at least I imagine if i'm abducted and I can flick my shoe off someone will see it and then know i'm missing. (oh weird girl logic is AWESOME!!!)
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love my shoe one. Makes me feel safer! Or at least I imagine if i'm abducted and I can flick my shoe off someone will see it and then know i'm missing. (oh weird girl logic is AWESOME!!!)
              Ha, I have thought the very same thing! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Head Procrastinator

A guy I know passed out in a marathon. The EMT guy said it was a good thing he had his ID on his wrist. Unless there was trauma to his legs they wouldn't look at his shoes. Just a PSA I know I am telling this wrong but you get the idea, a wrist ID is the way to go. Also, a friend of mine in the Dallas area said a runner died this past weekend and as of today they still don't know who he is. So you think you don't need ID?
                ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A guy I know passed out in a marathon. The EMT guy said it was a good thing he had his ID on his wrist. Unless there was trauma to his legs they wouldn't look at his shoes. Just a PSA?
                  Wouldn't they look at the name and info. on the race bib first?

~ Sarah Kay

Head Procrastinator

Like I said I probably told it wrong. I could hunt down the thread where he said it.....but I think you get the idea. If he was just out for a long run or whatever, EMT guys told him the wrist was easier to spot. Anyway just read the thread.....another good thing to put on there is NKA and NDA *known allergies, drug allergies* or if you have some put them. I'm a big RoadID pusher Big grin
                    ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

I ordered the one to wear around my neck several years ago and don't like it. Too jiggly. Which one did you all order?
                      I got the one you wear around your neck (the military dog tag style) because it is the most recognized form of identification on the planet and it is extremely unlikely that somebody would not notice it or would not know what it was. An ankle bracelet would probably be second place, but I have enough on my arms with my watch. I didn't get the shoe one because (a) they might not look at my shoes and (b) if I get hit by a car I might lose my shoe and thus lose my identification. Chances are pretty good that I won't lose the dog tag unless I'm decapitated.
                      Anyway just read the thread.....another good thing to put on there is NKA and NDA *known allergies, drug allergies* or if you have some put them. I'm a big RoadID pusher Big grin
                      Yeah, that's me too, I have that as one of the lines, and I'm a pusher too. Wink
                      I thought about getting one, but they seem too expensive for what they are. Am I crazy to think it would be easy to make one? I mean, even from like an airline luggage tag or something, for my shoe? I know it would tear off, but they're free, so I could just put a new one on...
                      They are really easy to make yourself; just go to a pet store and you can get one for a couple of bucks in the automatic machine there. I don't recommend it though. Here's an excerpt from my book on marathon prep about Road ID and identification:
                      Identification I am paranoid about getting hit by a car when I am running, and I will be the first to admit that. If something happens to me, then I want to know that my family knows about it and I want whoever is taking care of me to know any pertinent medical information about me. Whenever I run, I wear a Road ID dog tag. It has my name, where I am from, 3 emergency phone numbers (my wife, mother, and employer) and my blood type and allergies (or lack thereof.) Road ID offers quite a few different products including bracelets and shoe tags, but I chose to go with the military dog tag style because it is universally recognized and it doesn't have to be moved from shoe to shoe. You could go to your local pet store and get a collar made up with the same information for a much lower price. You would then also need to purchase a chain to hang that tag off of, and those tags don't tend to stand up as well to the beating and sweat that I subject mine to. Thus, they need to be replaced every few months to a year. Check the back of your race bib to see if there is a place for you to fill out your emergency information. In my experience, smaller races don't have anything on the back but larger marathons will give you a place to put your name and contact info, as well as where you are staying locally. If there is anything to fill out on the back, then I fill it out. Whether there is anything there or not, I will also include an ICOE, or "In Case of Emergency" phone number on the front of the bib. It will usually have the name and phone number of a local emergency contact, whether that is a friend that I am staying with or my wife if she has traveled to the marathon with me.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I totally agree, some form of ID should be worn. I bought an actual dog tag from one of the vending machine contraptions. It costs something like $6.00( vs. $20 + road id) and they have them at Petsmart and Walmart maybe petco. I lace it to my shoelace and don't even know it's there. Last year a runner was killed while running about 20 miles from my house. She had no I.D. and was not identified for several days. I couldn't imagine my wife or kids going through something like that and have worn a tag ever since. Hope this helps Kenny
                          I got the wrist one late last summer. My wife was always concerned about my runs out in the woods, away on vacation, business etc and that if something happened to me then no body would know who i was or who to contact. She is defientely more at ease now. I also got one for my son as well. The only problem I have, is that osmetimes the band gets caught or brushes against my shorts or shirt, so if I was going to do it over again, I'd get the shoe one.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Running Dad

As someone who owns one and who knows what to look for I would recommend the wrist for anyone. Here's my reasons. First off as a ParaMedic we're really not looking for Road Id Tags as much as we are the MedAlerts and stuff. But I am more likely, in the even of a traumatic injury, look at your wrist before I look at anything else. The first thing I'm gonna do is check a pulse on both sides and your wrists are the first place I go. Second, shoes get cut off and chunked first, along with the rest of your clothes. Unless you were just found lying there. This is especially true in situations of trauma, hypo- and hyperthermia(heat stroke and exhaustion). A necklace of some sort may get seen but that also depends on the person in the field and how we perform some procedures. ie where we place EKG leads, some do limbs some do trunk and trunks would get seen. All forms of ID would probably get noticed sooner if they had a Star of Life on them. That's what we look for. Things are a little different in the hospital where you have half a dozen people or so working on you and cataloging your things but out in the ditches it's a little different. Hope this helps.
                            Things to do this year:
                            Not get an injury
                            Things done this year:
                            Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??