How many intervals do you do? (Read 1486 times)

No, you misunderstood. You can read about it in my log.

(You really think I'm that much of an idiot?)

Boy, that's a very complicated workout!!  I don't  know if I can even keep up with it!! ;o)  I think I (sorta) got it...

One of the interesting intervals I saw was when Yoko Shibui did hill repeats, both up AND down, in Flagstaff.  The coach would jump in a car and follow her and time her; then he would jump out the car (the assistant was driving) during the recovery and he would jog with her.  He knew precisely how many times she did up and down, what time she was running; but said he had no idea how long, both duration in time AND distance, her recovery was.  He said; "That's why I was right there with her.  I sent her out when she's ready..."

pondman

I focus on half marathons and marathos. I do 1600 m intervals with a 800m recovery every other week. As the race approaches i'll increase the # up to 8. I run them at 5k or better pace. During alternate weeks I'll use a tempo as a speed work. These generally are 6-8 miles at about 10k pace.

I like longer hill runs of a couple miles. I try to get one hilly run in per week.

Why is it sideways?

Boy, that's a very complicated workout!!  I don't  know if I can even keep up with it!! ;o)  I think I (sorta) got it...

One of the interesting intervals I saw was when Yoko Shibui did hill repeats, both up AND down, in Flagstaff.  The coach would jump in a car and follow her and time her; then he would jump out the car (the assistant was driving) during the recovery and he would jog with her.  He knew precisely how many times she did up and down, what time she was running; but said he had no idea how long, both duration in time AND distance, her recovery was.  He said; "That's why I was right there with her.  I sent her out when she's ready..."

24 400s w/100jog, broken into 4 sets of 6. 200 jog between the first two sets, a lap in the middle, and 200 jog between the last two sets.

I didn't make it up. My coach did!

I shouldn't really have shared it out here in the main forums, and I can see how it was confusing.

You mean you had to take longer and longer recovery (except for the last few)?  To me, that's defeating the purpose in a way...  If you COULD actually cut down the recovery at a certain pace you would like to run, that's a confidence booster.  If you have to X4 the recovery duration after halfway through, that's above your head.  You're doing them too fast.  

Anybody remember this blond girl from Norway, the name slips my mind at the moment...  She was the ONLY non-African in the final of 5000m at Helsinki World Championships.  She won silver medal in the European Championships a few years back--for some reason, she didn't come to Beijing Olympics though I thought she could be a factor...  Her coach, Knut Kvalheim--some of the old timers might remember this name, he's in the famous Pre picture where Pre and Frank Shorter are battling it out in a 3-mile race in Eugene--, told me she started to perform really well when they LENGTHEN her recovery from 100m to 200m (per Tinman's suggestion) in her 20X200m workout.  Just because the workout is tough, doesn't mean you'll perform well.  It's got to be the RIGHT WORKOUT for you.

Susanne Wigene?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

24 400s w/100jog, broken into 4 sets of 6. 200 jog between the first two sets, a lap in the middle, and 200 jog between the last two sets.

I didn't make it up. My coach did!

I shouldn't really have shared it out here in the main forums, and I can see how it was confusing.

I guess I successfully read the log wrongly.  I was looking at your 3/27 entry of 3X(800+1200+800).

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Someone here did.  I was impressed.  I will wait until I am really in shape to try that.

try my 12x1mi, 5x2mi or 4mi,3mi,2mi,1mi @ HMP

You'll feel that for a few days Wink 

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

A Saucy Wench

apparently, 4.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

apparently, 4.

And you lived to post about it.  This is goodness.

Why is it sideways?

Next week, out of curiosity (boredom? nah), I am going to see how many 400s I can do before my pace falls off and/or my form goes to shit.  

Did ya do it yet?

xor

Did ya do it yet?

No. I will. But perhaps next week.

kcam

I focus on half marathons and marathos. I do 1600 m intervals with a 800m recovery every other week. As the race approaches i'll increase the # up to 8. I run them at 5k or better pace. During alternate weeks I'll use a tempo as a speed work. These generally are 6-8 miles at about 10k pace.

I like longer hill runs of a couple miles. I try to get one hilly run in per week.

Intteresting - you must have mis-typed this or your '10K-pace' is no longer valid.

I like the 1600's but  I like them more at slower pace and shorter recovery than you do them.  I do 6X1600 at HMP with 200m jog recovery, it seems to be a sweet spot in training for me.  Not too much but enough to get a good training stimulus.  I also do long (~3-5miles) warmup and cooldown jogs on this workout.

Feeling the growl again

try my 12x1mi, 5x2mi or 4mi,3mi,2mi,1mi @ HMP

You'll feel that for a few days Wink 

My long run this week will include 5mi-4mi-3mi-2mi-1mi with 1mi recovery.  I'm not out for a hero workout but an effective workout so I will probably keep the recoveries faster (6:30) and the intervals closer to MP (~5:50).  Back in "the day" I did that workout with the intervals at 5:25 to 5:20 pace....I can only wish now...that was closer to MP than HMP at the time.  Now it would be 10K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My long run this week will include 5mi-4mi-3mi-2mi-1mi with 1mi recovery.  I'm not out for a hero workout but an effective workout so I will probably keep the recoveries faster (6:30) and the intervals closer to MP (~5:50).  Back in "the day" I did that workout with the intervals at 5:25 to 5:20 pace....I can only wish now...that was closer to MP than HMP at the time.  Now it would be 10K.

You really do 4 mile tempos at 10K pace? That sounds fairly brutal. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

I think Spaniel is saying that if he were to run these intervals at 5:25 pace now (which he isn't) then he would be running at his current 10K pace. He'll actually be running them at 5:50 pace which he says is his current MP.