Moving to Vegas (Read 460 times)

frontrunner

I am looking to move my family to Vegas. I will be visiting the area tomorrow through Saturday just to look at communities to consider. With 2 children active in sports and another one pre school we will be looking for an area helthy to raise a family. Any advice? Also looking to pick up a run or two while in the area. Would like to talk to anyone about advice in the area and local running groups in the area. Seconary email is Richard _Hall@TJX.COM
      I would be much more concerned about schools than about running. The Nevada educational system is horrible. I would look for a house near the best private school you can get your kids into. (I know what I'm talking about here, so trust me on this) That said, Henderson is a good community and has some hills. The public schools are supposed to be good, but they are not. There is a pretty active running scene in Vegas- a number of good races and good training routes. The big problem is the heat, so you might also check out the local fitness clubs.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I lived there for about four years. Great place for running, tons of trails everywhere. And most of the "burbs" are planned communities, so lots have paved paths. I lived in Summerlin, and there were paths everywhere. The summer months are brutal, so you need to run early or late. However, to me, its no worse than Michigan winters, and way better than Florida summers. No kids, so I don't have personal experience with the schools, but I always heard horrible things about the public system.