Competitor Group Ends Elite Support (Read 613 times)

These companies are telling them their services are no longer needed.

Um yeah. This company has decided to exit the elite road racing business. Got it. Fairly well understood via the previous 9 pages.

Runners run

Slo

Um yeah. This company has decided to exit the elite road racing business. Got it. Fairly well understood via the previous 9 pages.

yep...got it.

BeeRunB

Then if you understand capitalism and business, there is no argument or discussion to be had. It's business. This company believes the expenditure isn't profitable. They cut it out. These runners aren't entitled to one cent of that companies money.

BeeRunB

You can't expect me to read 9 pages. I read the first one, and give it my take. Cool

These runners aren't entitled to one cent of that companies money.

Correct. And that company is not entitled to one cent of our money. Or to the volunteers time who help them put on their races.

Runners run

Then if you understand capitalism and business, there is no argument or discussion to be had. It's business. This company believes the expenditure isn't profitable. They cut it out. These runners aren't entitled to one cent of that companies money.

I think you are assuming they are bothered by it or cannot understand it.  I don't think so. I think most people on this thread were basically saying that this was one more reason that CGI sucks.  They don't seem to feel particularly betrayed.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

If you have a for-profit business, the goal is to make money.  If these race companies have realized that no one really cares if an elite runs their races, and their appearance makes no difference to the bottom line, then that "line item" should be cut from the budget, because they're throwing money away. It's good business. No one owes an elite anything.

It's business. Not just for the corporations, but for the runners. Some runners are better at the business of it than others. They're a product, a service, and must keep working to make sure they're a viable one that will bring money in to those who will hire them. That's what appearance fees are: payment for services. If they no longer matter, then there is no reason to hire them. It would be bad business to do so.

I just read Bill Rodgers' autobiography. He worked full time in the early days, and after a few big wins would get under-the-table appearance fees (the running mafia wouldn't let amateurs make money), and lived well. He invested wisely in a running store (just recent closed after a successful run). He still calls races to see if they want him to appear for money, not just as a runner, but a speaker. He's a commodity, knows it, and maintains it. Few elite runners are commodities like Rodgers. Charisma is necessary to being successful in this venture.

Very clearly stated, but the very first premise is absurd! A for-profit business certainly has a goal of making money, and it's a necessary condition for its existence, but it is hardly ever a sufficient condition for its existence.

MTA: whoops, wrote this about an hour ago, and hit post now. I see this has been covered.

#artbydmcbride

Aren't the Rock'n'Roll series races owned by a new company now?

Runners run

volunteers

They use volunteers?  Holy crap. They really suck.

By the way, I saw way down on the bottom of the page the for the NJ Marathon that it is now run by "US Road Sports & Entertainment Group." Who? 

BeeRunB

Correct. And that company is not entitled to one cent of our money. Or to the volunteers time who help them put on their races.

Correct. And if you wish to not give them your business over this issue, then great. Me, I don't give them my money because I would never pay that much for a race. I have my limits. Cool

BeeRunB

Very clearly stated, but the very first premise is absurd! A for-profit business certainly has a goal of making money, and it's a necessary condition for its existence, but it is hardly ever a sufficient condition for its existence.

MTA: whoops, wrote this about an hour ago, and hit post now. I see this has been covered.

Jeff, haven't had afternoon coffee yet. Don't make me think too much---give me a minute--sip, sip---ahhhhh---alright, yup--okay...

What do you mean by sufficient condition? I know what each word means and what the phrase means, but in relation to a for-profit business, could you explain this more? Why isn't making money (within the law) sufficient enough to justify the existence of the company?Cool

npaden

Jeff, haven't had afternoon coffee yet. Don't make me think too much---give me a minute--sip, sip---ahhhhh---alright, yup--okay...

What do you mean by sufficient condition? I know what each word means and what the phrase means, but in relation to a for-profit business, could you explain this more? Why isn't making money (within the law) sufficient enough to justify the existence of the company?Cool

I'm not Jeff, but I've got this.  It's kind of like the diner that has the sign out front "Eat here even if it kills you, we need the business".  To justify the existence of the company, they have to provide a product or service that people actually want and are willing to pay for first.  Then they need to figure out a way to make money at it.  I'm not going to eat at a diner that sucks just so they can make money.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xhristopher

By the way, I saw way down on the bottom of the page the for the NJ Marathon that it is now run by "US Road Sports & Entertainment Group." Who? 

Apparently it's also the Jersey Shore production company. Weird.

Slo

CGI cut the funds to the Elites saving them $450,000. Although CGI states it's for other reasons one can certainly speculate that there may be other financial reasons.

If those cuts were made to boost profits..."making money" and that decision cost them 5000 registrants in 2014 (2% of thier current stated volume) they lost $25,000. That's figuring a $95 early bird entry fee.

You need to be careful in how you are making that money.