Grand Union Canal 145 mile Race - Race Report (Read 656 times)

Here is my attempt at running 145 miles non-stop at the weekend through the heart of England from Birmingham to London in foul weather...enjoy

Grand Union Canal Race Report

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

DoppleBock

Nice report - Can I ask what you think you could have done differently to make it further?  More time to get dry?  Better attention to feet?  Different nutrition?

Is this race always the 1st weekend in June?

Recover well !

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

BeeRunB

Great report (pirates, hallucinations and muggers...oh my!). Congrats on running 96 miles in such rough weather.

--JimmyCool

Nice report - Can I ask what you think you could have done differently to make it further?  More time to get dry?  Better attention to feet?  Different nutrition?

Is this race always the 1st weekend in June?

Recover well !

I know for sure that I need a real review of of my kit, I ran a 100 mile race in March and had no issues with my feet. That said it was dry for the first 80 miles and wet in the last 20 then. However the terrain on the canal is so different and the wet from the start did not help. I reckon better socks would have helped as the blisters caused my gait to change and therefore cause issues with the outer part of my calfs which were in agony towards the end.

The GUCR is reknowned for its toughness so next time (if there is a next time for me) I will try and do it as a supported runner so that I can have better food breaks and more assistance as 17 miles can be a tough section to deal with on your own. As for nutrition I may try more liquid items which need to be investigated as there is only a certain amount of stodge you can eat.

Yes, always the weekend of the May Spring Bank Holiday

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Kalsarikännit

Thanks for the report Jerry.  I have been planning on entering the lottery for the 2013 race for a few months now.  Sorry about not going the full 145, but that sounds like a heck of a 96 mile run!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Nice read and great work!

I love that your races always sound like grand outings ... and they are what you make of them. Smile

Recover well!

Liz

pace sera, sera