Upload from GPS is broken with Garmin Express (Read 417 times)

gpb

Don't shoot the messenger....

No worries, I'm sure everyone knows you don't set policy and is glad to have you here.

If you do have any way (with no risk to your livelihood) to convey to the appropriate product manager(s) the "murmurings from the trenches" I'm sure it would be appreciated.

an amazing likeness

crap...should I regret buying a 310XT?

Right now it seems like the short answer is to absolutely avoid Garmin Express and wait to see what develops. Worst case will be at some point in the future (probably not in 2014 were I to guess) Garmin Communicator is end-of-life and we'll have to see what happens then...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I have been deleting my history every week and did not install Garmin Express, and still this happened. I thought by going with technology that had been around a few years I would be getting something stable. It seems I was wrong.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

joescott

I can say for sure that the plan is to extend Garmin Express to cover the older products (e.g., 310Xt).  I'm told this should happen by the end of April.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

No worries, I'm sure everyone knows you don't set policy and is glad to have you here.

If you do have any way (with no risk to your livelihood) to convey to the appropriate product manager(s) the "murmurings from the trenches" I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Thanks, appreciate it.  Yes, I am passing along the restlessness of the natives.  I think as a practical matter milktruck's advice to stay away from Garmin Express as long as possible until there is another good 3rd party solution is probably a good way to go.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Without all the tech talk, does all that mean that if I install Garmin Express I can't use RA? I have a Garmin 210 and now it is not working on the new Garmin site. I prefer RA over Garmin anyway, but it is nice having more than one.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have a 310xt, so I already suffer through the buggy software in the ANT Agent. Yesterday it "lost" my watch again -- even as it just uploaded the run to garmin connect, proving that it didn't completely lose the watch.

I wish garmin would fix the buggy software they already have, instead of making things worse.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Craig42

Found this link dated 6/19 on the Garmin site which says "Activities transferred to Garmin Connect through Garmin Express will now be stored on the computer locally.".   I'm wondering if this means the problem is fixed now and it is ok to install Garmin Express.

an amazing likeness

Found this link dated 6/19 on the Garmin site which says "Activities transferred to Garmin Connect through Garmin Express will now be stored on the computer locally.".   I'm wondering if this means the problem is fixed now and it is ok to install Garmin Express.

Not really.  If you install Garmin Express (GE), it will uninstall the Garmin Communicator and/or Garmin ANT which RA (& many other sites) uses to pull data from your device.

That announcement from Garmin about their update to GE does mean you will be able to import the files to RA manually via the Upload from File option in the log, now that GE is leaving the data files behind.

Some (1 person so far) have reported success with installing GE, letting it remove Communicator and/or ANT, and the re-installing Communicator and/or ANT.

If you don't need Garmin Express for something, don't install it is the best advice.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

It's my understanding that if you use Garmin Express the Garmin Communicator plugin that RA uses will not be able to find the data files to upload using the Upload GPS Data feature of RA. You should be able to upload them manually using the Upload Data From File feature and selecting Garmin FIT as the file type. The FIT file should be located in the directory below, where DeviceUnitID is a numeric identifier:

CUndecidedProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\DeviceUnitID\Upload\

I have not actually tested this myself. This is info I found when I started having problems with my Garmin Forerunner after installing Garmin Express to update the maps on my Garmin Nuvi. I ended up uninstalling Garmin Express and reinstalling the Ant Agent.

MTA: What MT said 

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Craig42

If you don't need Garmin Express for something, don't install it is the best advice.

Thanks,   that's the advice I've been following.  I was just wondering if something had changed recently.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Have they done anything about the ANT Agent forgetting the watch over and over, and having to re-pair every week?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

eric :)

Sorry about the silence on my end.  I was reshuffling my projects around because of this Garmin Express thing.  The reason Garmin came out with Garmin Express is that the browsers are abandoning browser plugin support.  That means Garmin Communicator won't work in the near future.  I'm working on creating an app to upload workouts to RA from your computer.  The focus will be on PCs first, then the Mac.  It should be interesting since I don't have any Mac development experience...  No ETA on this, although I did create a prototype a few years ago...

Imminent Catastrophe

It's my understanding that if you use Garmin Express the Garmin Communicator plugin that RA uses will not be able to find the data files to upload using the Upload GPS Data feature of RA. You should be able to upload them manually using the Upload Data From File feature and selecting Garmin FIT as the file type. The FIT file should be located in the directory below, where DeviceUnitID is a numeric identifier:

CUndecidedProgramData\Garmin\GarminConnect\DeviceUnitID\Upload\

MTA: What MT said 

Anyone know where they are on a Mac? Can't find them.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

According to Garmin Support it should be here:

~user/Library/Application Support/Garmin/GarminConnect/UnitID/Upload

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.