Cheapest way to acquire a Garmin 305? (Read 1818 times)

Anyone know if I can get a new Garmin 305 for a cheaper price than buy.com? They are currently selling it for 219.99 then there is a $50 garmin rebate and anothersmall rebate of 1% from fatwallet.com. Also, is there an alternative to the chest band for doing the heart rate measurement?

Vim

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Modal, You're unlikely to beat that price. As for the heart thing, I've seen watches that will check your pulse when you put your index and middle fingers on 2 buttons. But that's just a spot check. I'm not aware of anything commercial for real-time monitoring other than the strap. I love my Garmin. But you probably guessed that looking at my avatar. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hate buy.com. A while back I ordered a film scanner from them that ended up out-of-stock. I waited a week, then cancelled the order and found it elsewhere. THEN they shipped it. Fluckers. Had to wait around and tell FedEx to take it back. PITA. I'd pay extra to get it elsewhere, personally. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I hate buy.com. A while back I ordered a film scanner from them that ended up out-of-stock. I waited a week, then cancelled the order and found it elsewhere. THEN they shipped it. I'd pay extra to get it elsewhere, personally.
          Ditto all of that!! I initially bought from Buy.com too as they had the best price on an item, but I would definately avoid them and pay a little extra somewhere else. I placed an order, the thing never arrived, then I cancelled the order via priority email msg and live person on the phone. Then it arrived a few weeks later anyway!! Roll eyes
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto all of that!! I initially bought from Buy.com too as they had the best price on an item, but I would definately avoid them and pay a little extra somewhere else. I placed an order, the thing never arrived, then I cancelled the order via priority email msg and live person on the phone. Then it arrived a few weeks later anyway!! Roll eyes
            Nice. I have heard similar stories. Was your item not listed out-of-stock when you placed your order? That's what happened to me. I was notified that they didn't actually have it AFTER I placed the order, then a week later they weren't really sure when they would get it in. I said nuts on that business. k

~ Sarah Kay

Suggestions of other places outside of buy.com? I've bought several things from buy.com in the past and they exceeded my expectations on shipping... probably cause they have a warehouse locally.

Vim

Suggestions of other places outside of buy.com?
                I bought my 205 off of Amazon.com and had really good luck. The downside of Amazon is there isn't an easy way to contact anyone (that I know of) if you encounter problems with your item/ shipping/ etc.. I've placed a handful of orders from Amazon, though, since the beginning of the year, and have had great luck so far. The 305 is the same price as buy.com, plus free shipping (as of a few moments ago...prices on Amazon change frequently I've found)! Kirsten, when I ordered off buy.com, they didn't mention anything about "out of stock"!! And I spoke to them a few times on the phone asking about shipment status too- never mentioned a word, but that's probably what the deal was!
                  I got mine on Amazon. Regarding the HR monitor, I wasn't in love with the chest strap thing initially, but now I feel naked running without it - you get used to it quickly.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Suggestions of other places outside of buy.com?
                    Not sure if they carry it, but back when I was purchasing a ton of camera equipment I had great luck with etronics.com. Good prices, too. Also try Google Products I find a LOT of deals searching for stuff this way. I rarely pay full retail on things. k

~ Sarah Kay

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I found the cheapest place was WalMart that I felt comfortable. Plus you can always take it back to a local store. They currently have it for 213.88. I would definatley purchase it from them right now without even looking anywhere else. Your call though. http://www.walmart.com/cart.gsp?add_list=4601003,1|
                        2011 Goals:
                        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Also, is there an alternative to the chest band for doing the heart rate measurement?
                        If the chest strap bothers you, you're going to hate the new core temperature sensor that Garmin recently introduced.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

If the chest strap bothers you, you're going to hate the new core temperature sensor that Garmin recently introduced.
                          So. Much. Wrongness.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It's funny, I just thought of that today during my run. I was running a 5-miler and was just burning up and red-faced by the end. I thought, "I wish Garmie could also measure body temperature", but then I thought about just how that might be accomplished and decided "better to joke about it than actually do it."

What if the "core temperature monitor" could also deliver shocks, like if you were running below target pace? Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!!!! Evil grin

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Cheapest way that I've found to acquire a Garmin 305 was to steal my husbands Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson