Carbing up and diabetes (Read 1215 times)

Tent, you summed up diabetes very nicely. It would seem you too have this curse. Right now diet and exersize are my controls. And right now I am having problems staying within my numbers. Nothing really out there, just numbers that make no sense for what I am eating. Lows that should be much higher and readings that should be low that are not

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It would seem you too have this curse.
      I am lucky not to have it, but know a thing or two about the disease. If you fluctuate despite consistent intake, medication and predictable activity, you should touch base with your doc. Make sure nothing else is going on. Run well! Eat well! Wink
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm curious then, Trent, how you were able to come up with such a good non-technical summary. It would have done a nurse proud. Do you work in the medical field?

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I do work in medicine. I think it is very important to communicate information in a way that actually communicates information. I strive to be clear when discussing complex medical info.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm a CNA and a nursing student, and have seen some really good communicators... and some really poor ones. I think you're reaching your mark. Kudos!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks Big grin What kind of nurse you shooting to be?
              Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm not totally sure. Traveling appeals to me, as does NICU. Perhaps I'll do both! I work in a special care nursery right now and have really been enjoying it. I used to work in an ER, and am sure I don't want that level of stress! But it was INTERESTING! I'm just starting clinicals next semester, so I'll get to see a few more areas over the next few years. ICU is interesting to me too. ::shrug:: See? I can't make up my mind! Maybe something will clarify the next few years. What do you do?

Taking care of myself with this illness is why I am taking up running. I made a promise to Pop (my father in law) the day before he passed that I would be there to take care of mom (mother in law) and my wife. If I don't take diabetes absolutely seriously then I fail that promise. That is my motivation. Tonight's after dinner numbers were spot on. And my night snack was my standard rabbit food, so my fasting numbers should be OK. A lot has to do with my new job and the stress involved in that. And hte fact that sleep is someithing I have heard about and would like to actually try some day! It is 10:37pm and Sandi just left for work. So now I check on mom, shower, read for an hours (a compulsive habit I MUST do) and then get up for work at 3:50am. If you understand diabetes check out Diabetes.com Message Board Type 2 and search for You might be a diabetic if......... Would do Jeff Foxworthy proud!!!! But it does seem non diabetics don't get it. When your idea of an alll nighter is being able to sleep through the night without needing to get and pee several times...............................you might be be a diabetic When you really CAN eat just one! Without humor I'd be lost!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

...as does NICU...What do you do?
                    I am an internist and a pediatrician. I am in primary care at Vanderbilt in Nashville, and also do research and teaching. I love NICU and considered doing that with my life, and also had a daughter who spent 2 months there. She was born at 2 lbs, 11 weeks early but came out screaming and kicking and did great. NICU can be emotional, but is usually great.
                    If I don't take diabetes absolutely seriously then I fail that promise....stress involved in that.
                    Sounds like you ARE taking it seriously. Get out there and keep running! You are doing great. I agree, stress and messy sleep schedules also can make controlling the glucose more difficult. Running can help calm the mind as well as the blood sugar. Keep it up!
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Gregg - keeping your numbers good is hard to do sometimes but definitely worth the effort in the long run! When I did home-health, years ago, I saw far too many people whose lives were wrecked by not taking care of themselves. My ex developed type II diabetes at age 32 or 33 (I forget) but I suspect you'll outlive him! His approach was to take a pill and not bother testing except for the every couple of months' bloodwork the doc mandated. Your healthy, proactive approach is nice to see.

Wingz

Professional Noob

She was born at 2 lbs, 11 weeks early but came out screaming and kicking and did great. NICU can be emotional, but is usually great.
                        Preemies are amazing, aren't they? I've been here for 9 months and STILL don't get tired of just looking at them.

I grew up around diabetes (I am the 10th person in 4 generations with it) and have seen the bad side of it, and have no wish to personally live it. I know that diabetes is, barring an accident, going to, or trigger the event that, will cause my death. Which is not how I planned on leaving!! However I still plan on living to 101. The rest is just not going to happen! OH well! BTW the link is diabetes.ORG not .com Sorry! It was late and I was tired

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Preemies are amazing, aren't they? I've been here for 9 months and STILL don't get tired of just looking at them.
                            My former preemie daughter was born in 1998. I asked my mother if I should post updates of her on the web. My mother said that I did not need to., that nobody would ever read them A week later I went ahead anyway and put up a website detailing our days. We ended up getting readers from all over the world, folks we never knew Introducing the world's first blog, starting 12/1998 - http://people.vanderbilt.edu/~trent.rosenbloom/kids/shaynaprogress3.htm
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Trent, I really enjoyed your website and family photos--you are a beautiful bunch (furbabies included)! And I must say that I am lusting after your kitchen! That stainless steel fridge is to die for!!! :faints: Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, between those appliance and all my running shoes, I can barely afford to put food in that kitchen. But it is fun cook potatoes and make PB&J there tho. Big grin