Attention Race Directors (Read 909 times)

Mr MattM

Screw the glass...give me the beer.  And by definition, that excludes anything with Ultra or Light/Lite in the name.

YAZOO!!! In 3 varieties this year... served from a custom keg van with 3 taps sticking out of the side... damn... THAT'S THE WAY TO END A MARATHON!

be curious; not judgmental

xhristopher

Screw the glass...give me the beer. 

That glass was filled with beer when they gave it to me at the finish.

an amazing likeness

YAZOO!!! In 3 varieties this year... served from a custom keg van with 3 taps sticking out of the side... damn... THAT'S THE WAY TO END A MARATHON!

Yeah...Trent mentioned that a few times.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Imminent Catastrophe

How about for all runners:

- personalized long sleeve tech shirt

- cotton shirt for those folks who are old school

- second old school cotton shirt for those who suffered through the race the prior year

- keepsake chip

- silicone Silipint pint glass full of local craftbeer

- unique wooden medal

- personalized bib

- Hatch showprint poster

No way. That could never happen, there's not enough money in it for the RD.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

4 taps

4 varieties

Mr MattM

4 taps

4 varieties

See?  The Monkey leaves me unable to even count to 4!

be curious; not judgmental

J-L-C

I have too many pint glasses already and I never use them.

How about they give out nothing and cut the reg fees?  Big grin

Or at least make them optional! 

J-L-C

How about for all runners:

- personalized long sleeve tech shirt

- cotton shirt for those folks who are old school

- second old school cotton shirt for those who suffered through the race the prior year

- keepsake chip

- silicone Silipint pint glass full of local craftbeer

- unique wooden medal

- personalized bib

- Hatch showprint poster

That's a lot of swag. But still not enough for that behemoth of a race. 

These days (here in the UK) a technical t-shirt is more common than a cotton one. The trouble is I now have more of those than I can use. 

The last race I did had a technical long sleeve shirt, which is a nice change.

I understand why they like t-shirts - they can include advertising in such a way that's it's likely to be actually seen by people. But even so a bit more imagination would be good. Bags of some kind are a possibility; vests or hats also work. Light-weight running jackets too. Running shorts or tights might be an idea, but perhaps harder from a advertising perspective.

ymmv

This race gave out a custom Buff last year, and a fleece neck warmer tube thing with a draw string at one end (so you can close it to make a hat) this year. 

Slo

I don't know, I am running out of cotton race shirts new enough to not be embarrassed wearing thm out in public.  A combination of me not running enough races and the increasing use of tech shirt...which I have too many of.

+1

Julia1971

I have too many pint glasses already and I never use them.

How about they give out nothing and cut the reg fees?  Big grin

+1.  I really like it when they give you the option to buy the shirt separately.  I imagine it's a pain for them to figure out how many people might want the shirt (although, they could probably get a ballpark from pre-registration) but most of the time I don't want it.

I think my favorite give-away was a pair of cheap gloves.  I think I was supposed to wear them to the race and toss them, but I like them and haven't been able to bring myself to do it, yet.  Close runners up are a beach towel I got a few years ago.  Since it's low quality, I use it for when I color my hair.  I also like the trucker hat I got at a race this year.  My hair is thick so I rarely wear hats (I wear visors instead) but I've worn that one.

Attention Runners:

If you have never directed a race, please do so. It is a great experience and a way that you can help make our sport more like you want it to be. Pay attention to the things YOU as a runner care about and publicize that those are the things you care about. You will probably find that a lot of other runners care about the same things you do. You will definitely also be reminded that you can't please everyone.

Runners run

oriwoi

spam a lam
                              Julia1971

Attention Runners:

If you have never directed a race, please do so. It is a great experience and a way that you can help make our sport more like you want it to be. Pay attention to the things YOU as a runner care about and publicize that those are the things you care about. You will probably find that a lot of other runners care about the same things you do. You will definitely also be reminded that you can't please everyone.

I've never directed a race, but I was on my field hockey league's board for about five years so I've been in the position of trying to please people who want very different things.  It burned me out.  And based on that experience, I never give the race people guff and always try to say, "thank you" even if I don't like the premium (or, I just politely decline it).