Question for the ladies... (Read 1498 times)

running buddies

Hi Sushigirl Come to the Ladies Locker Room
    Hey RAer - every time I've tried to get to the Ladies Locker Room, I need a secret password that I don't know. This doesn't happen to me in real life... I feel left out.
    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
    redleaf

Hey RAer - every time I've tried to get to the Ladies Locker Room, I need a secret password that I don't know. This doesn't happen to me in real life... I feel left out.
      me too. Sigh.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahem...read the home page...you can see it, right? There are further instructions. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Baby bean!

Hey...I did it! Actually, as sluggish as I felt this morning when I woke up, I felt like my running portion (I am still doing run/walk intervals) felt faster than usual. For me, the first 24 hours are hardest...soo tired and achey. That subsided tremendously and I am sooo glad I did it.

Goals:
          Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

obiebyke

I was looking around the forums for something on this and thought I'd revive the thread. Oh man. Running on my period feels so different, I've considered adding a different workout type just to track if there are noticeable effects on pace.

I also made the mistake of weighing myself. I thought, "My god! I've gotten back to regular running and I'm eating better and I'm GAINING weight?" Then I realized...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I don't know how heavy your flow is but mine was really bad. I remember going for a long run and having both a tampon and pad. Halfway through the run, I was leaking through both and had to ditch the long run. That was the final straw for me and I made an appt. with my gynecologist. Since I was done having children she recommended an endometrial ablation. I had it done in April 2006 and I haven't had a period since then. It's been the best thing ever!  So for everyone done with children and suffering from heavy periods, I highly recommend it!

Kalsarikännit

Fun fact:  Joan Benoit had her period when she ran (and won) the Olympic Marathon in 1984. In her autobiography she wrote that she ran with an extra tampon in a pocket.

Point of the story:  You should try to run in the Olympics when you have your period.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't know how heavy your flow is but mine was really bad. I remember going for a long run and having both a tampon and pad. Halfway through the run, I was leaking through both and had to ditch the long run. That was the final straw for me and I made an appt. with my gynecologist. Since I was done having children she recommended an endometrial ablation. I had it done in April 2006 and I haven't had a period since then. It's been the best thing ever!  So for everyone done with children and suffering from heavy periods, I highly recommend it!

Endometrial ablation is da bomb.  I had this done about a decade ago.  I have endometriosis, adenomyosis, and a history of fibroids and anemia.  It cut monthly blood loss down to maybe 25% what it once was.  If that hadn't worked I was ready to sign-up for a hysterectomy at age 30.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

keeponrunning

Fun fact:  Joan Benoit had her period when she ran (and won) the Olympic Marathon in 1984. In her autobiography she wrote that she ran with an extra tampon in a pocket.

Point of the story:  You should try to run in the Olympics when you have your period

I laughed cause the tampon-in-a-pocket thing sounds like something I would do Big grin (I have a heavy flow)

Back on topic, the first day I usually try to run even after ibuprofen (only thing that seems to help my cramps) but I never find my body feels right.  After the third day the effects are negligible though.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I just run through it, but feel like crap the day before and the first day of (and I never remember that it always feels like that on those days and get depressed about how old and fat and slow I am...sometimes only remembering the reason three days later when I can suddenly run normally again.)

one of my most awkward moments ever involved a tampon sliding out during a run. fortunately it was not the Olympics...

sugnim

Mt aunt?  You mean my menstrual period?  We're all grown ups here, right?  If cramps, nausea, & headaches have me feeling awful, I just run the next day.  Sometimes I need to take 2-3 days off, so I just push the running out for a couple of days, no big deal.  If I don't feel too bad, then I just go out & run my best.  I slow it down a bit & I wear headphones to distract myself from feeling bad.  I think my best tips for you are: don't wear light colored shorts, stay hydrated, eat foods that are rich in iron, and try not to stress about it too much.

Hey...I did it! Actually, as sluggish as I felt this morning when I woke up, I felt like my running portion (I am still doing run/walk intervals) felt faster than usual. For me, the first 24 hours are hardest...soo tired and achey. That subsided tremendously and I am sooo glad I did it.

Good for you!  After a run, no matter how slow or tortuous, I am always glad I went. I never say, "I wish I hadn't gone running."  Usually it is "I wish I had gone".  I try to remember this when I am dragging myself out the door. Like this morning when at 7:30 it was already 80 degrees with 80% humidity Sad

Well, it appears that the OP quit running completely about 18 months after writing this, so the unpleasant extended visitations from her aunt finally did her in.

#artbydmcbride

Mt aunt?  You mean my menstrual period?  We're all grown ups here, right?  If cramps, nausea, & headaches have me feeling awful, I just run the next day.  Sometimes I need to take 2-3 days off, so I just push the running out for a couple of days, no big deal.  If I don't feel too bad, then I just go out & run my best.  I slow it down a bit & I wear headphones to distract myself from feeling bad.  I think my best tips for you are: don't wear light colored shorts, stay hydrated, eat foods that are rich in iron, and try not to stress about it too much.

Unless it's the Olympics and you HAVE to run that day, and push hard too!  Cool

Runners run

obiebyke

Well, it appears that the OP quit running completely about 18 months after writing this, so the unpleasant extended visitations from her aunt finally did her in.

Hahahaha! I'm sure that was it.

I run anyway. I have designated running days, and even the terribleness that is my period won't keep me from them.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)