Ankle Brace (Read 653 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Looking for an ankle brace that won't rub my foot badly but can support an ankle roll.  Would need for a 100 miler so my biggest concern is bulkiness and ease of fitting in shoe without screwing up foot by rubbing raw.

TY

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Look up "ASO ankle brace"

Made by Med Spec

Great stability, and although they look bulky they're not too bulky to run/play in. I have an ankle that rolls often. I keep one of these braces in my crew bag during my last long ultra but never used. They run about $35.

If you have time before your event, continue to work on proprioception and single-leg balance. And your toes spread and pointed up (dorsiflexion) at contact. Good luck with your preparations!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run in crew length socks with the ankle brace on the outside. See my picture. The little white spot on the knee brace is a sock.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Thanks both - just ordered the brace and will try outside my sock.

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)

Looking for an ankle brace that won't rub my foot badly but can support an ankle roll.  Would need for a 100 miler so my biggest concern is bulkiness and ease of fitting in shoe without screwing up foot by rubbing raw.

TY

Do you have an issue with your ankle?  When is your 100 mile race?  Wouldn't that be better, if you don't have the actual issue with your ankle, to strengthen them so you wouldn't have to wear brace?

Otherwise, I'm with Runnerclay; where something else, if not socks, even athletic tape or something, so it won't rub against your skin directly.  Personally, I hate anything that rubs against the skin while running.  Tried a knee brace once...ONCE and threw it away.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Wouldn't that be better, if you don't have the actual issue with your ankle, to strengthen them so you wouldn't have to wear brace?

I would love this - the ankle has been an issue ever since I started trail running on technical terrain.  Every month or so I roll it.

I've tried a few exercises, probably not the right ones or for for long enough.  Once those tendons are stretched out, it seems hard to tighten them up (there is more slack / give).  

Open to additional suggestions - the race is in a 5 weeks.  

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

I use an Aircast A60 brace, in fact I have 2 now, one for each ankle, as I've managed to turn both of them in the last year.  I recently turned one (4 weeks ago) so for the moment I don't do any trail running, just road, and for the moment I wear the brace as insurance.  Each time it happens to me is when the foot hits the ground, and there's a stone/root or other object that contacts the inside part of the heel thus encouraging the ankle to roll, and then crack.  Ouch! 

I'm quite a heavy pronator which can be one of the contributing factors (According to the book "The Running Doctor"). 

Anyway to get my ankles back in shape I do combinations of the following while balancing on the bad foot.  In fact I do both feet now just to try to get some better strength and proprioceptive work going:

Close one eye, close both eyes, bounce a ball off the wall, juggle, do it on a wobble board or bed or inflatable cushion thing.

one legged jumps on a mini trampoline.

Write the alphabet with your feet while sat in boring meetings

Also using an TENS machine might help.

I should just say that if you're running with the brace and your socks are short then you might have a bit of pain. 

Just to finish off, I saw a Orthopedic surgeon about 6 months ago and he said like you did, the tendons are all stretched out.  He sent me off to do those exercises, and then got me to have XRays and then another examinations, and my ankle is not as loose as before.  Strangely the other good ankle was looser, and then 4 weeks later I went over on the good ankle!  SO I really think that exercises, just 5 minutes a day really will help.  I just need to encourage myself to do them!!!

Cheers,

Phil