First Marathon (Read 959 times)

jpcecil

Well, I finally did it. I ran and completed my first full marathon in Louisville. (Derby Festival Marathon.) The weather turned out to be pretty nice, overcast with temps ranging from 50-60. The race course included a couple miles inside Churchill Downs. It also included about 4-5 guys dressed up as Elvis, with one pushing a stroller with a boom box playing his music. (Kind of surprised they allowed it with 12,000 runners in the half and full marathon combined.) I would consider the course moderatly hilly with the biggest hills in the first 4-5 miles. I ran with the 8:00/mile pace runners until about mile 18. Didn't really hit "the wall" until about mile 22, then my legs/feet really started to scream. At mile 24 I thought both legs were going to cramp up, but I slowed down and was able to cross the finish line at 3:42, still running. I remember how happy I was to finish my first 5K, but nothing compared to crossing the finish line for this one!! I definately learned a lot in this first marathon. I've got some work to do on my form especially after about 17-18 miles, I could feel myself "slouching" with my head down, and not picking my feet up high enough. I could really feel it in my knees and calfs after the race. Only walked through 2 water stops, so I was pretty happy with that. I'll probably run the marathon again next year (maybe even one before!)

A Saucy Wench

Wow , awesome job for a first marathon!!!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Any day that includes Elvis(es) is a good day in my book, especially when it also includes an excellent Marathon effort. Great job, hope you recover quickly and well.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's excellent to go well under 4 hours for your first attempt--nice job! That really sounds like a fun race, too. I get that slouching thing when I get tired, as well. I need to work on strengthening my core muscles to help keep me upright. Like you I find that everything suffers once that slouch starts.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Congratulations! Great first marathon!

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

slowdog

DON'T PANIC

Congrats! I ran my first one in Nashville that same day, although I live in Louisville. That is a geat time too, wish I could have finished near my projected time. Knowing what the hills are like in Cherokee and Iroquois, that's awsome.
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. 22 miles will make most runners slouch. Great job.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

andyndallas

Great first marathon! When is your next?
                  ...and miles to go before I sleep

uncontrollable

Wow, that is very impressive for a first marathon - slouching or not!

peace

The Greatest of All Time

Way to go!!!!
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        Congrats! Great time too!

~Sara
                        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan