Does a PR count if it wasn't in a race? (Read 1150 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Momentary hijack. Hey jeffgoblue-- I've always wondered that about tracks without lanes (i.e. my local lovely dirt track). Is that true, that the 1/4 mile is measured from the very inside line all the way around?
    It's actually measured 20cm (7.9 inches) from the inside line to account for the fact that you don't run on the line, you run inside of it. (30cm if the track has a rail or curb). Also, most tracks these days are 400m rather than 440 yards (1/4 mile). A metric track (400m) is 437.4 yards, about 7'8" short of a quarter mile.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

obiebyke

Thanks!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

JakeKnight

Does a PR count if it wasn't in a race?
        It's your log. Do with it what you will. Some people never bother to run formal races. I wouldn't exactly discount their PRs. The only reason I restrict it to races myself is because its a verified distance. At least in theory, anyway.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

C-R

At times like these I can only revert to that great philospher Ty Webb of Bushwood Country Club (aka Checy Chase of Caddyshack lore) when asked how he measures himself against other golfers when he doesn't keep score - His utterance => "By height". Cool Its all relative as we run against oursleves and the clock. Well done on the new PR. Now go knock another 1:30 off!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

It's all up to you - I would agree with the other person, SIGN UP FOR A RACE NOW and remove all doubt. For me, I wouldn't count it as a PR but as a great sign that a PR is out there for me. Unless you're doing it on a track, there's a possibility that the course is off (some small races around here are not always all that accurate). And besides, you'll run much faster in a race being pushed by others.

Running safely

I dropped off the face of the earth for 2 days and did not get a chance to reply to individuals. So here is my generic "Thank You" to all the congrats. I actually was asking a rhetorical question (or so I thought). To me if you run the distance in the time then, yes, it counts. I have run 16 races in my 2 years of running and none of them have been certified distances. I am sure there is some kind of governing body in Mexico that certifies race courses, but no race I have been in has claimed to be a certified distance. According to Google Earth I have run "5K" races that were 3K in length. Some have been 5.2K. I have one "10K" that I have run twice. The course was different each time. Once it was 9.2K and another time it was 9.1K, but both times it was called a "10K." I know my measuring with Google Earth may not be 100% accurate, but it certainly isn't going to be too far off. As far as "signing up for a race to remove all doubt" you can see that I would still have doubts if I depended on the distance given by the race organizers. I have, however, run one 5K that was within 10 yards of what I measured with Google Earth. I guess if I were running 14 minute 5Ks and the newspapers were reporting on me, then yes, I would agree that a PR would only count if it were an official race with official timers. But for the average person, I would say that if you ran a certain distance in a certain time then it counts as a PR. The question then is whether you are reasonably convinced that the distance you say it is is accurate. Driving it in your car is not very accurate. GPS would be much closer to right. Some of us in this world have only read about timing chips and certified courses. I have never seen a timing chip, much less raced with one. I have never run on a certified course. I count all "best time over distance" as PRs whether they are at races or not. I did not realize that there would be such varied opinions. But, I guess it makes sense if you have the luxury of official times and certified distances. Not all of us have that though.

Lazy idiot

But for the average person, I would say that if you ran a certain distance in a certain time then it counts as a PR.
                David, #1 - I'm in complete agreement with you on the above. My 5-K PR of 23:55 is my PR, even though it was only me on an uncertified course. It's my running life, that's what I'll go with. The fact that I could probably run faster with competition just makes me more excited about it. #2 - I love your avatar. It cracks me up every time I see it. Carry on, brother. Drew

Tick tock

JakeKnight

As far as "signing up for a race to remove all doubt" you can see that I would still have doubts if I depended on the distance given by the race organizers. I have, however, run one 5K that was within 10 yards of what I measured with Google Earth.
                  Hate to say it, but I agree. If you really want to "remove all doubt," hit your local high school track and run 5000 meters. No doubt at all. Well, hopefully. The second best alternative is probably to ask around your local running community. You'll probably find some races that have been around a long time, and on the same course, and that the veterans know are close to perfectly accurate. (They'll also know which courses might be a little questionable). Third best might be your Garmin. In fact, it might actually be MORE accurate than just signing up for a random 5-K. I sadly have my suspicions about my own 5-K PR. I ran it a week after a hard marathon, and ran it a full 1:15 faster than my previous PR. With the first mile supposedly at almost sub-6:00 pace. I'm skeptical but I dang sure ain't checking. It's a PR, dammit. Bottom line is still the same: its your log. Do what you want.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Garmin is inaccurate. Google earth and other mapping APIs are inaccurate. Running the course with a wheel is inaccurate, but much less so. You want to know your abilities for sure? Hit the track. Everything else is speculation.

Running safely

#2 - I love your avatar. It cracks me up every time I see it.
                      That was from my failed attempt at making it as a football player this last summer. When I was in high school I always played as a lineman because of my size. That was 20 years ago. I have lost weight and am much skinnier than I was in high school. Now I am expected to be able to play the faster positions in football. Problem is, I have never learned how. I played for an arena football league this summer and we won the championship. But, not because of me. I only played 5 plays the whole season. Smile
                      If you really want to "remove all doubt," hit your local high school track and run 5000 meters. No doubt at all. Well, hopefully.
                      JakeKnight, I have never seen a track at a high school here in my city. Sports programs are handled outside the realm of most schools here in Mexico (therefore I get to play football as a 38 year old). There are two tracks that I have run on here in town. One is at a University and I suspect it is pretty close to accurate. The other one is at a park with a bunch of XC type trails (too bad it is on the other side of town). That one could be accurate too. Those are both dirt/gravel tracks with no lanes. There is one track I believe to be totally accurate. It is at a state owned facility where they train their athletes for the Olympics. But, unless you are on one of the state blessed track teams, you don't get to touch the track except at track and field events. That's not to say there are no tracks here, but that they are not as plentiful as they are in the US. Whether my 5K route is exactly 5K or not, it is the same route I have been running for 2 years as my own personal 5K route. I have not checked my PR on that route, but I know I beat it by more than 3 minutes. I am happy with my time over the distance. And I am showing to myself that the training I am doing is paying off. Thanks for the good discussion.
                      JakeKnight

JakeKnight, I have never seen a track at a high school here in my city. Sports programs are handled outside the realm of most schools here in Mexico (therefore I get to play football as a 38 year old). ..... Whether my 5K route is exactly 5K or not, it is the same route I have been running for 2 years as my own personal 5K route. I have not checked my PR on that route, but I know I beat it by more than 3 minutes. I am happy with my time over the distance. And I am showing to myself that the training I am doing is paying off.
                        Dude - cool that you're in Mexico! I checked your profile - what kind of missionary work are you doing? For how long? What's it like running south of the border? If you run races down there, make sure you post your race reports. Sounds fascinating. As for your second point ... hey, that's the best kind of PR of all, if you ask me. My standard "daily" local run is seven miles. But its not, of course. It's probably 6.7. Or maybe 7.3. Somewhere in there. But that PR matters to me, even if nobody else gets it. In fact, next time I go out and run it hard, I'm calling it a race. Just because. Oh - and yeah, your avatar cracks me up, too. Seriously.

Lazy idiot

Oh - and yeah, your avatar cracks me up, too. Seriously.
                          Quit aping my comments you Cohiba-loving gorilla. Wink

Tick tock

JakeKnight

Quit aping my comments you Cohiba-loving gorilla. Wink
                            Aping. Nice. (golf clap)

Running safely

Dude - cool that you're in Mexico! I checked your profile - what kind of missionary work are you doing? For how long? What's it like running south of the border? If you run races down there, make sure you post your race reports.
                              Yes, it is cool here. Was only 93 today. We work with the Deaf. www.dpeach.com Been here 3.5 years. Will move back to the States in August for a year and then back down here for 4. 4:1 cycle. Running south of the border? I really don't know what to compare it to. I started running after I got here. I did get a chance to run along Long Beach, California this summer. Awesome! Compared to Long Beach, it stinks here. But, I don't imagine everyone is running in 72 degree year round temperatures like they do in Long Beach. I run races when I can find out about them. There is a pretty tight knit running community here. Everyone knows about all the races if you keep your ear to the ground and participate in the community. Those of us on the outside just have to know someone who knows someone and then you might get info on an upcoming race. I rarely know about a race more than a week in advance. I guess my new avatar is a hit. I may start using it on other forums.