New to running/jogging/loafing: where to learn? (Read 475 times)

Since I use metric a lot, I must be a troll! Big grin

Metric rules!

dontknowhow

Not trolling, just trying to get some advice. I prefer metric because in most instances, it makes more sense and is easier to work with. I put in lbs because I momentarily forgot the conversion to kg. 185cm and 75 kg is not overweight?

So, judging by the responses there seems to be some suggestions that tjoseph's advice should not be taken. Is this true for all of it, or just the stuff about starting out at 70 miles per week? Is the diet stuff generally similar to that followed by most runners? It seems to be based on a raw fruitarian diet, is this common? And is starting out running barefoot or with with barefoot "shoes" a good or bad idea?

I don't need to be told how to laze about, I know how to do that already, lol. I just literally don't know how to run or jog or loaf, and I'm afraid of doing so without knowing how, because it would be arrogant and immoral to think that I could do something without proper instruction. I feel very limited by this, since I think running is an important life skill, that helps us get from one place to another more quickly. I'm really not so interested in the health benefits per se, although I know i need to lose weight and I think running could help with that.

dontknowhow

Do most personal trainers have skills in teaching proper jogging/running, or should I look for something in particular?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loaf

2loaf

intransitive verb

Definition of LOAF

: to spend time in idleness

Examples of LOAF

1. I spent most of the weekend just loafing around the house.
          2. <the kind of sultry August afternoon that makes you just want to loaf>

Since this is how you said you want to start, perhaps you'd find the kind of help you're looking for in a loafing forum?

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

L Train

Makes me want to pinch something.

Hill Slug

Laufen?

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Feeling the growl again

Go to a running shoe store, have them help you pick out a pair of running shoes.  Go out and run SLOWLY.  If you have to walk, SLOW DOWN MORE.  Even if you could walk faster, keep to the running.  Start short, work on adding time to the runs every few days.  But vary the length of the runs, if you're tired one day run shorter the next and recover.

Over time, you will be able to run faster at the same effort.  Don't force it.  If you want to run faster for all or part of a run once per week to get the heart rate up, go for it...once per week.

You do not need to kill yourself every day to get better.  In fact, that will hurt you.

Hang around and keep reading.  Look at peoples' running logs on here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This is also why I said you were looking for advice in lazing about.

2loaf

intransitive verb

Definition of LOAF

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

Coach Glenn

Go to RRCA.org at the top of the home screen click on 'find a coach'.  Find your state and click on it and there will be a list of certified running coaches.

You can find lots of good information on the internet but determining what is good and what is bad is tough if you've never run before.

Also try a local running shoe store.  Most of them hold new runner classes.  Doing it in a group is easier, most will gradually build you up to be able to complete a 5K in 8 week or so.  You might meet new friends and at the worst you start your path to fitness.

dontknowhow

2loaf

intransitive verb

Definition of LOAF

Examples of LOAF

1. I spent most of the weekend just loafing around the house.
                      2. <the kind of sultry August afternoon that makes you just want to loaf>

Since this is how you said you want to start, perhaps you'd find the kind of help you're looking for in a loafing forum?

That's not how I want to start, it's how I was told I would need to start elsewhere. I assumed it was a term of art used by runners to mean something other than just it's dictionary definition.

If you're not trolling, you have been trolled--unless I am totally clueless, "loafing" is not a running term.  There is some good advice here (like spaniel or Coach Glenn has posted), but TJoseph was, indeed, trolling.

You don't need to learn to run--you just need to do it.  My log charts from-zero progress over the past year and a half or so if you want to see what I did.  (I don't recommend all of it, as I've had my moments of idiocy.)  Basically, go out, run slowly, repeat as many days a week as you can without hurting.  Run faster maybe once a week.

That's not how I want to start, it's how I was told I would need to start elsewhere. I assumed it was a term of art used by runners to mean something other than just it's dictionary definition.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                        Emil Zatopek

dontknowhow

Thanks for the advice. It's hard to pick out what's good advice from contradictory information on the internet when you know nothing about a subject.

I'm really not interested in competing at all. I just want to learn to run because it might save my life at some point, or , less glamourously, help me catch a bus.

TJoseph

If you're not trolling, you have been trolled--unless I am totally clueless, "loafing" is not a running term.  There is some good advice here (like spaniel or Coach Glenn has posted), but TJoseph was, indeed, trolling.

He was/is trolling, but yes, my advice was tongue in cheek. Roll eyes

I'm really not interested in competing at all. I just want to learn to run because it might save my life at some point, or , less glamourously, help me catch a bus.

That's funny... and rather British.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

dotatl

Are you too clueless to google "Couch to 5K"?